lab276

The Universal Thread | Dreamworks Animation seeing layoffs, set to outsource their work

Really great to see Universal turning it around!

Years ago Universal was one of my favourite studios, and then they entered a bad time where they made a lot of terrible films and that made me lose a lot of interest in them.

Great to see Universal making better films again, and trying to return to their glory days.

• Like 1

Really great to see Universal turning it around!

Years ago Universal was one of my favourite studios, and then they entered a bad time where they made a lot of terrible films and that made me lose a lot of interest in them.

Great to see Universal making better films again, and trying to return to their glory days.

2014, but really 2015+ will be great years for them. If they get their hand on some of those LP/WB project then wow. Maybe they can enter the animation game.

2014, but really 2015+ will be great years for them. If they get their hand on some of those LP/WB project then wow. Maybe they can enter the animation game.

Yes definitely, I agree. Their agreement with Legendary should be a successful one. Universal is willing to make riskier and non-mainstream projects and that is always great to see from a studio, even if those projects sometimes are films I have no interest in.

Well they're already doing good with Illumination Entertainment on the animation front, and they are only going to grow from here I think. The Despicable Me franchise is now huge for them.

With Universal and Warner Brothers, that makes two major studios today that are willing to consistently make unconventional, big-budget films. I don't mean films like Battleship of course, but films like Oblivion.

Edited by ACCA

Yes definitely, I agree. Their agreement with Legendary should be a successful one. Universal is willing to make riskier and non-mainstream projects and that is always great to see from a studio, even if those projects sometimes are films I have no interest in.

Well they're already doing good with Illumination Entertainment on the animation front, and they are only going to grow from here I think. The Despicable Me franchise is now huge for them.

With Universal and Warner Brothers, that makes two major studios today that are willing to consistently make unconventional, big-budget films. I don't mean films like Battleship of course, but films like Oblivion.

Look at FOX with Dreamworks/BlueSky, would be great.

• Like 1

Yes definitely, I agree. Their agreement with Legendary should be a successful one. Universal is willing to make riskier and non-mainstream projects and that is always great to see from a studio, even if those projects sometimes are films I have no interest in. Well they're already doing good with Illumination Entertainment on the animation front, and they are only going to grow from here I think. The Despicable Me franchise is now huge for them. With Universal and Warner Brothers, that makes two major studios today that are willing to consistently make unconventional, big-budget films.

I do think Illumination needs to show that DM2 and The Lorax weren't flux with their next few films and The Lorax despite being a hit in the US underwhelmed OS.

Look at FOX with Dreamworks/BlueSky, would be great.

I think Universal should try and get Aardman to make films with them, I know their last two films weren't successful but I think Aardman would fit better with them than they have with Sony and Dreamworks plus Universal has been successful in the past with British films like Notting Hill, Love Actually, Johnny English etc

Universal should buy the Godzilla rights from WB and focus on making it a franchise for them.

The leasing rights to Godzilla belong to Legendary..not Warner. Legendary purchased the leasing rights to Godzilla years ago and after next year release..WB won't be distributing any more Godzilla films while Legendary have the rights.
  • Like 1

I like what Universal did with OBLIVION but other than the Gru/Minions and 

FF franchise which is coming to an end, what else they got? BOURNE 

LEGACY is a non-starter & JPIV seems to be in trouble with so many

delays and date shuffling. How many more Minions movies they could do?

On the other hand, Disney could afford to be non-creative & innovative.

They are on autopilot for at least 10 years with Pixar, Lucasfilm &

Marvel Studios as part of their team. 

I like what Universal did with OBLIVION but other than the Gru/Minions and 

FF franchise which is coming to an end, what else they got? BOURNE 

LEGACY is a non-starter & JPIV seems to be in trouble with so many

delays and date shuffling. How many more Minions movies they could do?

On the other hand, Disney could afford to be non-creative & innovative.

They are on autopilot for at least 10 years with Pixar, Lucasfilm &

Marvel Studios as part of their team. 

They have Ted 2. They are about to milk that like WB milked The Hangover(s)

The leasing rights to Godzilla belong to Legendary..not Warner. Legendary purchased the leasing rights to Godzilla years ago and after next year release..WB won't be distributing any more Godzilla films while Legendary have the rights.

They need to build the story around an engaging human character like the way TF did. I don't quite like Shia Le Bouf, his idea of acting is to hyperventilate excessively. But GA seems to attach themselves to this kid while the giant robots do their thing. 

GODZILLA is a one-note force of destruction, it has no story without real human characters. Then again look at WWZ: minimal plot, audience came anyway.