Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

I think its just a really stupid provocation to say INGMAR BERGMAN WAS A NAZI when he didn't carry on being a nazi for the rest of his life. 

It's not provocation, it's the truth...He WAS a Nazi at some point in his life.

What's false about that affirmation?

You're a Bergman fan, dude?

You're a Bergman fan, dude?

You can still like his films.  And keep in mind, being a Nazi meant he was part of a political party.  It doesn't mean that he practiced killing Jews.

But what was your point? That he's an asshole? Fuck him? He sympathized nazis like most kids in the 30's did, found out about the horrors they committed, stopped, and lived his fucking live. He obviously regretted it, and as far as I know he didn't commit race crimes so who cares? What were you trying to say when you responded to baumer?

Just because Bergman loathed Citizen Kane like him, he's Baumer's "Hero". A "hero" that was a Nazi as well.

And I don't like how people excuse Nazis like "they couldn't do anything about it, they were all magically brainwashed" like they weren't responsible at all of their thoughts and actions in that very special era, getting away with it.

Especially when Nazi political parties are still relevant today in Europe especially Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. Are they not responsible of their thoughts too?

That's all.

Edited by dashrendar44

Just because Bergman loathed Citizen Kane like him, he's Baumer's "Hero". A "hero" that was a Nazi as well.

And I don't like how people excuse Nazis like "they couldn't do anything about it, they were all magically brainwashed" like they weren't responsible at all of their thoughts and actions in that very special era, getting away with it.

Especially when Nazi political parties are still relevant today in Europe especially Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. Are they not responsible of their thoughts too?

That's all.

The difference is that they didn't know of the war crimes then. 

So it was okay to be a Nazi sympathizer...At least, he was not a friggin' Bolchevik...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/441057.stm

Bergman's brother was a Nazi militant tagging Swastika on jew neighbours house. His father was a right-winger. Bergman was enamoured with Hitler as well saying he was fascinated and seduced by their ideology.

Edited by dashrendar44

That's all.

Dude, we're talking movies here.  I'm not getting into the Nazi thing.  I had no idea what political party he aligned himself with and I honestly don't care.  Everyone here knows how much I hate Citizen Kane.  So if he hated it then he is a hero to me.  If you want to get political, try the politics thread.