TLK

Weekend Estimates: TMB @ 13M, PROM @ 20.2M, ROA @ 15M, MAD3 @ 35.5M

Anyone get the feeling that Adam Sandler is committing career suicide intentionally for some reason.He usually knows his audience pretty well but now it seems like he's trying to alienate them on purpose.Does anyone have this suspicion or have any possible motives from Sandler's POV?

Maybe he got bored. Lately he's been playing characters who are pretty normal and mild mannered. I think he wanted to go back to his Happy Gilmore/Waterboy days with this role but the R rating detracted a lot of potential audiences.

Anyone get the feeling that Adam Sandler is committing career suicide intentionally for some reason.He usually knows his audience pretty well but now it seems like he's trying to alienate them on purpose.Does anyone have this suspicion or have any possible motives from Sandler's POV?

I'd make countless shitty movies too if they'd pay me $10-20m per.

I agree with you. Kind of. I don't think he took the failure of Funny People very well. It was a very personal movie and since then he has been phoning it in but I don't think he is trying to commit career suicide. It's just that he is a very rich man and he has a production house which will make sure that he stays a very rich man. I don't think he gives a fuck about acting anymore. Edited by TLK

Overreaction as usual here. As far as quality, in my opinion anyways, we've had Avengers, Men in Black 3, Prometheus, Madagascar, and Snow White wasn't terrible. As far as box office, Avengers, Men in Black, Snow White, Madagascar, and Prometheus have done either reasonably well or extremely well. The good movies are succeeding and the bad movies (Battleship, Dark Shadows, What to Expect, That's My Boy, Rock of Ages) are not. And there's still two months to go with Brave, Ted, Ice Age, TDKR, The Watch, Bourne Legacy, and The Campaign.

• Like 1

Maybe he got bored. Lately he's been playing characters who are pretty normal and mild mannered. I think he wanted to go back to his Happy Gilmore/Waterboy days with this role but the R rating detracted a lot of potential audiences.

As dumb as his his older stuff was it at least struck a cord with the audience.The formula isn't that complicated that he could re-create the magic if he wanted to.He's either using a dartboard to pick scripts or he's sabotaging his own career to get out of a production or acting contract.Those are the only reasons I can think of for his recent career choices.

I agree with you. Kind of. I don't think he took the failure of Funny People very well. It was a very personal movie and since then he has been phoning it in but I don't think he is trying to commit career suicide. It's just that he is a very rich man and he has a production house which will make sure that he stays a very rich man. I don't think he gives a fuck about acting anymore.

That movie is underrated and nearly autobiographical for Sandler. The guy's got talent as evidenced by Funny People, Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, The Wedding Singer, and 50 First Dates. Edited by tonytr87

Overreaction as usual here. As far as quality, in my opinion anyways, we've had Avengers, Men in Black 3, Prometheus, Madagascar, and Snow White wasn't terrible. As far as box office, Avengers, Men in Black, Snow White, Madagascar, and Prometheus have done either reasonably well or extremely well. The good movies are succeeding and the bad movies (Battleship, Dark Shadows, What to Expect, That's My Boy, Rock of Ages) are not. And there's still two months to go with Brave, Ted, Ice Age, TDKR, The Watch, Bourne Legacy, and The Campaign.

Audiences are getting smarter.Or maybe they're just tired of watching crap.

But the shitty movie has to appeal to an audience or those money offers are going to dry up.Not that he needs the money.

Sandler can ride/skate another 5 or so years on his reputation alone...without checking, I'm pretty sure he's one of only a few actors (only?) who've been the lead in 12+ $100m grossers. Plus he's a good actor when he wants to be (PDL, ROM, FP) but it's hard to turn down big money having fun making silly/stupid movies with your friends- it's what millions of people dream of doing, so why would he stop.

• Founder / Operator

Glad someone caught the GoT reference. :)

Don't give up on this summer yet...3 of the 4 biggest movies still haven't come out yet (Brave, TASM and TDKR).

True, but I don't expect the first two to do anything impressive or noteworthy. I'm not even sure what the actual quality of either will be at this point either. Brave's reviews aren't living up to expectations so far, but as a Pixar fan, of course I'll be there opening day. Same for Spidey... even if the movie looks 95% like crap to me.

And honestly, I wouldn't discount Ice Age 4. In fact, I think it'll be bigger than at least one of those supposed "big 3"... (not TDKR, haha).

Winter lineup is going to be insane this year but I was expecting better summer peformance from a bunch of movies.

Always figured winter would be the more impressive season at the box office, but I always thought summer would do record business for the season too. Quality just hasn't been there for the movies should be breaking out.

You're not interested in how TASM will do?

I'm always interested ... I just don't think its going to have a good run.

Sandler can ride/skate another 5 or so years on his reputation alone...without checking, I'm pretty sure he's one of only a few actors (only?) who've been the lead in 12+ $100m grossers. Plus he's a good actor when he wants to be (PDL, ROM, FP) but it's hard to turn down big money having fun making silly/stupid movies with your friends- it's what millions of people dream of doing, so why would he stop.

I'm not saying he should stop.Just a little quality control to keep the big money offers coming in.

1. Madagascar 3 (DreamWorks Anim/Paramount) Week 2 [4,263 Theaters] PG

Friday $9.9M (-52%), Weekend $33.5M, Cume $118.4M

2. Prometheus (Fox) Week 2 [3,442 Theaters] R

Friday $6M (-72M), Weekend $20.5M, Cume $89.1M

3. Rock Of Ages (New Line/Warner Bros) NEW [3,470 Theaters] PG13

Friday $5.8M, Weekend $15.5M

4. That’s My Boy (Columbia/Sony) NEW [3,030 Theaters] R

Friday $5M, Weekend $14M

5. Snow White & The Huntsman (Universal) Week 3 [3,701 Theaters] PG13

Friday $3.9M, Weekend $12.5M, Cume $121.3M

6. Men In Black 3 (Columbia/Sony) Week 4 [3,135 Theaters] PG13

Friday $2.9M, Weekend $9.5M, Cume $152.2M