TLK

Weekend Estimates: TMB @ 13M, PROM @ 20.2M, ROA @ 15M, MAD3 @ 35.5M

Yup. He is slowly walking the plank. If Grown Ups 2 disappoints, watch out!

Sandler used to have a big hit when he was the "man-child", like in "Billy Madison", "Happy Gilmore" and "The Waterboy". Then he found success with slightly more adult characters that had a fun, simple side, such as with "The Wedding Singer", "Big Daddy", "Mr. Deeds", "50 First Dates" and "Longest Yard". In fact, one might even argue that he was a bit more of the "straight man" in many of those films, allowing his supporting cast to be the zany ones.However, with "Jack and Jill" and "That's My Boy", he's tried to return to the "man-child" of his earlier films (albeit, one was in drag). It was cute when he was in his late 20's/early 30's doing those roles. In fact, many people could relate. But now that he's 45, the schtick is old. Audiences can't relate.My recommendation is to continue on with more "adult" comedy roles, like in "Grown Ups" or "Click". It's a slightly (emphasis on slightly) more sophisticated humor (not so slapstick) and his audience - who has aged with him - can relate. And if he wants to do drag, he has to do GOOD drag, ala "Tootsie" or "Mrs. Doubtfire". Throwing on a wig and basically looking like yourself ain't gonna cut it.
  • Like 1

Total BX nerd it's 9pm in Vegas im settling in for a nap watching ROTK :rofl:Ps how bad can a shotgun marriage be??

LOL Depends who you marry? And why are you going to bed so early?

Sandler used to have a big hit when he was the "man-child", like in "Billy Madison", "Happy Gilmore" and "The Waterboy".Then he found success with slightly more adult characters that had a fun, simple side, such as with "The Wedding Singer", "Big Daddy", "Mr. Deeds", "50 First Dates" and "Longest Yard". In fact, one might even argue that he was a bit more of the "straight man" in many of those films, allowing his supporting cast to be the zany ones.However, with "Jack and Jill" and "That's My Boy", he's tried to return to the "man-child" of his earlier films (albeit, one was in drag). It was cute when he was in his late 20's/early 30's doing those roles. In fact, many people could relate. But now that he's 45, the schtick is old. Audiences can't relate.My recommendation is to continue on with more "adult" comedy roles, like in "Grown Ups" or "Click". It's a slightly (emphasis on slightly) more sophisticated humor (not so slapstick) and his audience - who has aged with him - can relate. And if he wants to do drag, he has to do GOOD drag, ala "Tootsie" or "Mrs. Doubtfire". Throwing on a wig and basically looking like yourself ain't gonna cut it.

I havent seen Grown Ups myself. I too am suffering from Sandler fatigue. I didn't know Grown Ups was more adult humor. Hmmm...might have to check it out now!

Always remember, Vegas has figured out how to separate you from your money as quickly and efficiently as possible. ;)

It only takes a few hours for those hundreds to start looking like ones
  • Like 1

Sandler used to have a big hit when he was the "man-child", like in "Billy Madison", "Happy Gilmore" and "The Waterboy".Then he found success with slightly more adult characters that had a fun, simple side, such as with "The Wedding Singer", "Big Daddy", "Mr. Deeds", "50 First Dates" and "Longest Yard". In fact, one might even argue that he was a bit more of the "straight man" in many of those films, allowing his supporting cast to be the zany ones.However, with "Jack and Jill" and "That's My Boy", he's tried to return to the "man-child" of his earlier films (albeit, one was in drag). It was cute when he was in his late 20's/early 30's doing those roles. In fact, many people could relate. But now that he's 45, the schtick is old. Audiences can't relate.My recommendation is to continue on with more "adult" comedy roles, like in "Grown Ups" or "Click". It's a slightly (emphasis on slightly) more sophisticated humor (not so slapstick) and his audience - who has aged with him - can relate. And if he wants to do drag, he has to do GOOD drag, ala "Tootsie" or "Mrs. Doubtfire". Throwing on a wig and basically looking like yourself ain't gonna cut it.

Interesting analysis.I haven't seen Jack and Jill or That's My Boy and I never will but I think his old stuff had an immature yet absurdist and disarmingly charming humor that his current movies lack. Now it's just vulgar and cheap slapstick. Gone is the clever absurdity and charm of the past.I still enjoy his older stuff though. Anytime Waterboy or Happy Gilmore is on, me and my girlfriend will stop everything and watch.We won't go near his recent stuff.

I havent seen Grown Ups myself. I too am suffering from Sandler fatigue. I didn't know Grown Ups was more adult humor. Hmmm...might have to check it out now!

Well, it's still Sandler, so... ;) But he plays a bit more of the "straight man" and leaves some of the silliest scenes to his costars. And that now seems to work for him. Think "Longest Yard" more than "Billy Madison".

Interesting analysis.I haven't seen Jack and Jill or That's My Boy and I never will but I think his old stuff had an immature yet absurdist and disarmingly charming humor that his current movies lack. Now it's just vulgar and cheap slapstick. Gone is the clever absurdity and charm of the past.I still enjoy his older stuff though. Anytime Waterboy or Happy Gilmore is on, me and my girlfriend will stop everything and watch.We won't go near his recent stuff.

The "charm" worked because he was so young. He could get away with being this silly, zany "man-child" because he basically was. He was in his late 20's or early 30's, and looked younger. So one could accept that behavior from him. But I don't want to see a 45 year old acting that way. This worked ONCE, IMO, with the original "Arthur". Dudley Moore found the perfect way to play the character. Note, though, that the remake of that flopped. So I stand by my assessment. Sandler can still do comedy, he just has to be more adult. There's a reason why "Chuck and Larry", "Grown Ups", "Click" and "50 First Dates" all worked. They had some morality, they had a cuteness, and they had other actors being silly. It wasn't just 90 minutes of zany Sandler. He got lucky with "Zohan", but even that had a certain charm and appeal. Edited by doctoru2

Although it's always flabbergasted me how Sandler has managed to stay so profitable at the box office, I think this is actually a great analysis of why his audience is finally quitting him.

Well, it's still Sandler, so... ;) But he plays a bit more of the "straight man" and leaves some of the silliest scenes to his costars. And that now seems to work for him. Think "Longest Yard" more than "Billy Madison".

Hmmm..that's interesting. I think Sandler can act. He shown skills in PDL and Funny People. It's just sad it is wasted on crap like Jack and Jill. He lost a lot of the innocence his characters had when they first started out. Now they are like cheap imitations.
  • Like 1

The number sucks for ROA but the WOM on it is going to be through the roof. I was on twitter and I didn't read one negative comment about it. The movie is just too much fun that it really could get a 5 or a 6 multiplier. I hope it opens closer to 20 than 18.

Even if WOM is through the roof it's still not coming near the summer top 11. It would need like a 7x multi for that. Amazing WOM or not, Avatar it is not.

Other musicals have done it. I'm really hoping this finds a bigger audience. It's so much fun and the cast in this, my God, what a job they did. And the music....man oh man!

I hope so too for my Summer Game's sake. lol

John Carter had tons of people saying it was great and we know how good the legs were :P Just saying ;)

The problem wasn't that people hated JC, just that people didn't care enough to watch it in theaters. Blame the shitty Disney marketing. Edited by Mojoguy

Rock of Ages only has a 66% user rating on RT. Not great. Really don't see how it can get more than a 3.5-4x multiplier.EDIT: And a 6.3 on IMDB. WOM is not good.

Edited by Sims