A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

In the other direction, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man Tell No Tales made 79% of its money overseas. Crazy.

Ice Age 4: Hold my icicles.

It made 900M worldwide with over 81% being international.  Ice Age 5 made over 400M worldwide with just over 84% being international.

53 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

For how long RT gonna hide tomatoescore for this? Weird.

I guess Fandango is afraid that everything below 80% could hurt presales 

Sounds like manipulation. Doesn't WB own RT? That would explain it since it doesn't take this long for other movies' score to appear after flood of initial reviews.

21 hours ago, Eric Ripley said:

Beetlejuice ranked in the domestic top 10 for 1988. It made almost five times its budget. It was not, nor has it ever been a flop or cult hit.

it still wasn’t a Ghostbusters or a Back to the Future or anything. People seeing this as a spiritual successor to Wednesday is likely what is driving interest 

9 hours ago, James said:

With this type of reception and all the buzz (plus little competition) I’m thinking:

135/420m DOM

450m OS

870m WW

Tbh the other studios literally served September and October to WB on a silver platter. Both this and Joker 2 have weeks of little to no competition.

I’m not sure it’ll do 400m DOM. That seems pretty high honestly. It’s definitely possible but I’ll need to see WOM for it. 

I think at most it’ll do 350m OS. 

but yeah, every other studio cleared out big time from October and September. But Disney basically dominated the summer and they’ll most likely dominate the holiday season. 

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

it still wasn’t a Ghostbusters or a Back to the Future or anything. People seeing this as a spiritual successor to Wednesday is likely what is driving interest 

Beetlejuice is a weird one in that it was a big hit but then went on to be a huge cult hit. Normally those things would contradict each other, but I dunno any other way to describe it. People continued to find it for years and years to come. It's always being rereleased and it's constantly been one of the top selling discs. There were a few months last year in which the only movie older than Beetlejuice that was selling more than it was Top Gun.

I agree that Wednesday and Jenna are a massive draw here, but og is huge in a way that I don't think people appreciate. My mum and dad are going to see this, and both go to the cinema like once every five years.

• Like 5

Sept/Oct aren't typically really big months, this year's fall is actually relatively robust. Disney is the only major that doesn't have something big to push. It is true that TFOne and Wild Robot probably aren't gonna be major obstacles to Beetlejuice legs though.

Edited by AniNate

9 hours ago, James said:

With this type of reception and all the buzz (plus little competition) I’m thinking:

135/420m DOM

450m OS

870m WW

Tbh the other studios literally served September and October to WB on a silver platter. Both this and Joker 2 have weeks of little to no competition.

I’m not sure it’ll do 400m DOM. That seems pretty high honestly. It’s definitely possible but I’ll need to see WOM for it. 

I think at most it’ll do 350m OS. 

but yeah, every other studio cleared out big time from October and September. But Disney basically dominated the summer and they’ll most likely dominate the holiday season. 

8 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Beetlejuice is a weird one in that it was a big hit but then went on to be a huge cult hit. Normally those things would contradict each other, but I dunno any other way to describe it. People continued to find it for years and years to come. It's always being rereleased and it's constantly been one of the top selling discs. There were a few months last year in which the only movie older than Beetlejuice that was selling more than it was Top Gun.

I agree that Wednesday and Jenna are a massive draw here, but og is huge in a way that I don't think people appreciate. My mum and dad are going to see this, and both go to the cinema like once every five years.

Yeah, it’s kind of like Nightmare Before Christmas, albeit with nowhere near as much merchandise. You could probably point to one or two other Burton or Burton-adjacent movies with that kind of paradox.

The kids cartoon was also pretty successful, and planted the nostalgia seed in audiences too young at the time to see the movie. Very popular halloween costume ofc and the Broadway musical also giving the IP new cultural relevance.

• Like 3

@ddddeeee It did not make the top 50 list last year or the year before, but it has constantly been in the top 20 (or even top 10) this year week after week.  

In 2021 it was number 15 beating new movies like A Quiet Place Part II and Luca.  To get those numbers it has to be more than just a Halloween boost.In 2020 it was 39.    

42 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Exactly. There was a Beetlejuice musical that played on Broadway from 2019-2023, but probably had its full potential clipped by Covid. The touring version of the show started in 2022 (you may remember a certain politician grabbing headlines for her antics at the Denver stop) and was officially profitable. Jenna and Wednesday are popular but so is Beetlejuice as an IP.

Spirit Halloween has official merch:

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Warner looking to have their cake and eat it too as it seems. Get the buzz from the initial reviews, and then another publicity cycle when they have their manufactured TOMATOMETER REVEAL sponsored by CARMAX next week.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

The kids cartoon was also pretty successful, and planted the nostalgia seed in audiences too young at the time to see the movie. Very popular halloween costume ofc and the Broadway musical also giving the IP new cultural relevance.

My first exposure to Beetlejuice was the comic. I loved that comic book series, but it features Lydia and Beetlejuice teaming up to take on the underworld and the monsters there. Needless to say, I was very confused watching the movie the first time 

• Like 1