YoursTruly

Original Cuts You'd Love to See

Stick - Burt Reynolds' original cut of the film was apparently much closer to the spirit of the Elmore Leonard novel, but Universal felt it was not commercially viable and ordered substantial reshoots. Leonard disowned the final product.13th Warrior - John McTiernan's original cut fared poorly in test screenings, so he got the boot and Michael Crichton took over directorial duties. Even still, the finished film sat on a Touchstone shelf for quite some time before being released.Hard Target - The first version John Woo submitted was ridiculously violent and over the top (well, duh!), and received an NC-17 rating from the MPAA. He had to re-edit the film seven times before it received an R.More later...

The Magnificent Ambersons. RKO hated Orson Welles' version so much they cut the last 45 miniutes, burned the negatives, and then got someone else to shoot a new happy ending that was totally out of place with the rest of the film.

Edited by yads

Cool thread, I'm definitely interested in the whole subject of extended edits. There's for instance a 3 hour version of Dune on the net, edited by some fan to fix the editing, music, and even some missing effects. An interesting watch to be sure. Same with an extended version of Waterwold As for those that were never made available, I'd certainly do some nasty things to see the X-rated cuts of Predator 2, Cliffhanger, Die Hard 2, Cyborg (I think there was one at least) or Total Recall (MPAA was really a pain in the ass back then). There was also an R-rated version of Galaxy Quest. In addition, the initial cut of Heaven's Gate was something like 5 hours, would like to check that out. Oh, and the initial cut of 2011's The Thing was much longer and probably better (again the damn test screenings came into play).EDIT: Hell, totally forgot about the one I think I'm most obsessed about, that is the original cut of Nightbreed. I've actually heard it's been recreated but has problems finding means of distribution. Damn it.EDIT 2: Another thing, there was actually a Polish sci-fi epic made in the 70s before SW, "On the silver globe" by Andrzej Zulawski. It too was butchered, this time by the commie regime and the version available today is simply incomplete.

Edited by Bitcher