Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Cute teaser. But i hope people arent expecting this to have a Frozen-like run, that film appealed to so many little girls and young women. Which was a major part of its success. This one, not so much. 

Frozen's run was goddamn phenomenal because it started out as an underdog. Being an original, comedy adventure movie, no one knew who would really be there on the first day. But as the WOM spread out and the songs infiltrated the general public, there's no stopping it.This won't have that factors. Being the follow up to Frozen, expectations are higher than Tangled and Ralph. With its Marvel roots (although not advertised), all eyes are turned in the movie. There might also be no blockbuster song that can create a cross-promotion to the movie. Now all it needs is to deliver with the story so it will resonate to the audience.

Frozen's run was goddamn phenomenal because it started out as an underdog. Being an original, comedy adventure movie, no one knew who would really be there on the first day.

I just can't imagine for the life of me how the annual big Disney holiday season animated movie can be truly seen as an "underdog". Reaching a billion was not expected sure but saying it like it's a small animated movie coming out of nowhere that nobody saw it coming being a break out hit on holidays. Give me a break. It's frickin' classic Disney Animation appealing to families inspired by a fairytale featuring a princess and the obligatory tied-in song riding its 80 years of success history behind it.

It's baffling. It's like Frozen is some kind of indie break out hit. Have we slipped into a time warped zone where Tangled flopped and Walt Disney Animation Pictures is some kind of underdog studio in which nobody trust anymore?

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 7

I just can't imagine for the life of me how the annual big Disney holiday season animated movie can be truly seen as an "underdog". Reaching a billion was not expected sure but saying it like it's a small animated movie coming out of nowhere that nobody saw it coming being a break out hit on holidays. Give me a break. It's frickin' classic Disney Animation appealing to families inspired by a fairytale featuring a princess and the obligatory tied-in song riding its 80 years of success history behind it.It's baffling. It's like Frozen is some kind of indie break out hit. Have we slip into a time warped zone where Tangled flopped and Walt Disney Animation Pictures is some kind of underdog studio in which nobody trust anymore?

Princess and the Frog did kinda flop. Which scared Disney so much that they renamed Rapunzel to Tangled. Which then crawled to 200M Dom thanks mostly to strong WOM.And then people started with "Frozen won't make as much as Tangled as The Snow Queen is a lesser known fairytale". Nobody saw the song breaking out as none of the songs in Tangled or Frog broke out like this. Disney Animation had been in a slump since the Renaissance heydays with Lilo, Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph being the only bright spots. And none of those were monster hits.Now Frozen has doubled Tangled's WW with 1.2B and it possibly could make another 100M or so. No other princess film has come close unless you count 85 years worth inflation or Aladdin (where the princess was in the love interest role). So a beat down studio that was written off by many as being inferior to Pixar, not as "hip" as DreamWorks and just a shadow of its former self.And then a movie belonging to its most ridiculed genre (Shrek was a phenomenon by lampooning the princess fairy tales) goes on to become the biggest animation of all time and now the fifth biggest movie of all time, with chances at No. 4Who the hell saw that coming? WDAS is like Rocky at this point. Edited by Spidey Freak of Highgarden
  • Like 2

Princess and the Frog did kinda flop. Which scared Disney so much that they renamed Rapunzel to Tangled. Which then crawled to 200M Dom thanks mostly to strong WOM.And then people started with "Frozen won't make as much as Tangled as The Snow Queen is a lesser known fairytale". Nobody saw the song breaking out as none of the songs in Tangled or Frog broke out like this. Disney Animation had been in a slump since the Renaissance heydays with Lilo, Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph being the only bright spots. And none of those were monster hits.Now Frozen has doubled Tangled's WW with 1.2B and it possibly could make another 100M or so. No other princess film has come close unless you count 85 years worth inflation or Aladdin (where the princess was in the love interest role). So a beat down studio that was written off by many as being inferior to Pixar, not as "hip" as DreamWorks and just a shadow of its former self.And then a movie belonging to its most ridiculed genre (Shrek was a phenomenon by lampooning the princess fairy tales) goes on to become the biggest animation of all time and now the fifth biggest movie of all time, with chances at No. 4Who the hell saw that coming? WDAS is like Rocky at this point.

What the fuck? People were actually betting against a typical Walt Disney Animation Movie that got all the ingredients of their past successes being released in the winter slot?

Well, I never considered WDAS as an "underdog", past, present nor future. They're the kind of the great Uncle of american animation. They can get ridiculed by bratty studios like Blue Sky/Dreamworks/Illumination (Shrek anti-princess stance was a fad) but that doesn't change the major stature they still got in the animation world worldwide despite recent stumbles and rebounds.It's not because they don't crack billions with every single animated movie of theirs that they're suddenly outsiders or Frozen is that little original movie no one saw coming over the likes of Despicable Me. For me, it's still your typical big Disney movie of Christmas with the same bulldozer marketing and tie-ins. It's almost sacred for families.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

And then people started with "Frozen won't make as much as Tangled as The Snow Queen is a lesser known fairytale". Nobody saw the song breaking out as none of the songs in Tangled or Frog broke out like this. Disney Animation had been in a slump since the Renaissance heydays with Lilo, Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph being the only bright spots. And none of those were monster hits. 

I'll grant you that the songs were a much bigger hit than anticipated, but people weren't that pessimistic about the film. Most saw Tangled numbers in the cards.

I'll grant you that the songs were a much bigger hit than anticipated, but people weren't that pessimistic about the film. Most saw Tangled numbers in the cards.

I'd say Wreck-It Ralph numbers were the most common expectations. Which weren't very high expectations all things considered.

Tangled blew past all expectations for it, and it was the fifth highest grossing animated film that year DOM and third WW. At that point, Disney was a third tier studio, behind Pixar and Dreamworks, at least as far as business was concerned. The fact it hit $200m was astounding. It was the first Disney film to pass $500m WW since The Lion King. Breakout smash, relative to expectations

Wreck-it Ralph beat expectations, and it was the fourth highest grossing animated film that year DOM, and fourth highest WW. Disney still looks like a third tier studio, even though people are starting to think the quality is back.

Those numbers were considered the ideal range for Frozen. If it could get close to Tangled's respective numbers, that would have been a massive success. Had it done that, it would have been about on par with The Croods in a fight for third biggest animated DOM and WW for the year.

Yes, Disney has years of tradition behind it, but the success for that tradition was long gone. Prior to Frozen, it was a studio that was looking at doing stelllar numbers... and coming in third or fourth. Not that that's bad, because Disney rules with ancillary revenue, so the high costs for their films can be justified. (Seriously: as a theatrical run, Tangled probably lost money.) But the expectations for what you could expect the studio to do in the theaters was pretty well set. 150-200 DOM, 450-600 WW. Good numbers. Sustainable numbers. Never great numbers.

And then Frozen didn't just beat expectations like Tangled, it annihilated them. It's going to end up 2-3 times what it was expected to pull in. Relative to Illumination, Dreamworks, and Pixar, it definitely was an underdog. (Even with Pixar looking a little long in the tooth of late.) Frozen was a statement that Disney didn't just have the decades of history behind it, but the ability to actually throw in with the big dogs, but to come out on top in a huge way.

It has changed the narrative. From this point on, all animated films are going to have Frozen as the comparison point. Frozen as the target beyond all ideal targets.

Frozen as the ultimate "What if" scenario.

• Like 3

What the fuck? People were actually betting against a typical Walt Disney Animation Movie that got all the ingredients of their past successes being released in the winter slot?Well, I never considered WDAS as an "underdog", past, present nor future. They're the kind of the great Uncle of american animation. They can get ridiculed by bratty studios like Blue Sky/Dreamworks/Illumination (Shrek anti-princess stance was a fad) but that doesn't change the major stature they still got in the animation world worldwide despite recent stumbles and rebounds.It's not because they don't crack billions with every single animated movie of theirs that they're suddenly outsiders or Frozen is that little original movie no one saw coming over the likes of Despicable Me. For me, it's still your typical big Disney movie of Christmas with the same bulldozer marketing and tie-ins. It's almost sacred for families.

But iconic though they were, they were written off and on the brink of shutting shop about eight years ago. Then the failure of Princess and the Frog gave the message that princess movies were done. Tangled was the deviation from the norm, not the norm. And people were aware of Rapunzel as a fairytale. The Snow Queen, less so. So majority of the expectations hovered around 180M.And then it does 400M+ How can you not be caught in awe and wonder at this occurrence? Who deprived you of your emotional spectrum?

But iconic though they were, they were written off and on the brink of shutting shop about eight years ago. Then the failure of Princess and the Frog gave the message that princess movies were done. Tangled was the deviation from the norm, not the norm. And people were aware of Rapunzel as a fairytale. The Snow Queen, less so. So majority of the expectations hovered around 180M.And then it does 400M+ How can you not be caught in awe and wonder at this occurrence? Who deprived you of your emotional spectrum?

I'm just not astounded about a X-mas Disney movie doing well because that's a trend that has been proven successful in the past, it's the rise of the Phoenix if you want but we're not talking about Little Miss Sunshine's like success story either. History repeating.

Disney is a big dog and even in troubled times (2D animation falling apart and Frozen is still a 3D movie as CG not celluloid 2D), they still were, they were a big dog trying to get their shit together, not an underdog or a puppy outsider.

Edited by dashrendar44

But iconic though they were, they were written off and on the brink of shutting shop about eight years ago. Then the failure of Princess and the Frog gave the message that princess movies were done. Tangled was the deviation from the norm, not the norm. And people were aware of Rapunzel as a fairytale. The Snow Queen, less so. So majority of the expectations hovered around 180M.

It was more that 2D animation was done (the pretty much forgotten theatrical run of Winnie the Pooh further confirmed that notion). 

Frozen's performance has been terrific, I just don't think its modest expectations should be overstated. We all knew exactly who would be showing up opening weekend, it was only a matter of how many of them. If anything, Big Hero is even more of an underdog because it looks to have the same audience limitations Bolt and Wreck-It Ralph did, not to mention opening up against what appears to be one of the big event movies of the year, which could very likely eat into its adult audience.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I think most expectations for BH6 are to see it fall back down to Tangled/WiR levels for business, perhaps with a bit of a bump due to being the Frozen followup. Say, 225-250m DOM and 600-700m WW.

Extremely optimistically, it might beat out the other CBMs of the year, and end up at 275 DOM 750 WW.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 1

I hate making comparisons like this, but this feels like a deja vu of Nemo/The Incredibles.

Nobody thought of The Incredibles as a disappointment, despite not reaching the same success or cultural impact of Finding Nemo. So I think that's what BH6 will be; a huge hit, despite not reaching Frozen statistics... which would be impossible for any animated feature in the foreseeable future anyway.

But WDAS simply has too much momentum right now. It's bound to break out. And The geek community, the only ones aware of the Marvel connection, will fuel the movie's online buzz without Disney having to try anything. Every time they fart out a trailer a million Hiro/Elsa fan art illustrations go viral.

Disney is back. With a vengeance.

• Like 1

Hiro/Elsa fan art illustrations

Ew. Hiro is a 14 year old and underaged. I see BH6 being mostly problematic since I'm assuming all the BH6 main characters are kids. :blink:

Elsa/Anna fanart is weird but at least they are old enough.

Ew. Hiro is a 14 year old and underaged. I see BH6 being mostly problematic since I'm assuming all the BH6 main characters are kids. :blink:

Elsa/Anna fanart is weird but at least they are old enough.

Hey, I think all of that stuff is dumb, but I can see it popping up sooner rather than later.

Hey, I think all of that stuff is dumb, but I can see it popping up sooner rather than later.

There is already a ton of Hiro fanart online. It started appearing the moment the BH6 teaser was leaked. Fans sure are fast! :lol:

Also Elsa fanart will never get old. :ph34r: