Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I keeping hearing on other forums from fans how BH6 and Pocahontas are in similar positions, both following Disney mega hits Frozen and The Lion King.

They are worrying that BH6 might drop big like Pocahontas. But BH6 already has the much better chance at success than Pocahontas since doesn't look like it was made to be complete Oscar bait. Also Pocahontas was a goddamn Mary Sue! :ph34r:

Huh?

• Like 3

Say what you will about the product we got, but a lighter and softer Pocahontas sounds even less appealing to me.

I don't really like Pocahontas much, so I think adding a John Candy turkey couldn't have hurt. 

• Like 1

We already had a John Candy bird character in a film more appropriate for it

That is true. I forgot he voiced that character. 

Still, I would have welcomed another John Candy bird character.  :lol:

Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

Who else thinks that the only way to market animated movies now is what Disney are doing and what Universal have done?

Basically, show extended clips/sequences of a humourous moment and not your typical blockbuster trailer editing a la Dragon 2.

To be fair, I wasn't excited about the whole Dragon 2 flying teaser either, since that worked a lot better in the film, but maybe if they used the scene where he encounters the masked figure in the clouds? That would have worked helluva lot better.

Or they could go the way of the old Pixar films and make small shorts that do not turn up in the movie? It's not really a short either, more of a 1-2minutes segment. Of course Dragon suffers from being on CN all the time so it may not be as effective.

• Like 1

Who else thinks that the only way to market animated movies now is what Disney are doing and what Universal have done?

Basically, show extended clips/sequences of a humourous moment and not your typical blockbuster trailer editing a la Dragon 2.

That is typically what most teaser trailers consist of, though. Frozen's final trailer was pretty conventional blockbuster advertising, as was DM2's.

• Like 1

Hey, Despicable Me 2 only gave the vaguest hints of its story in the trailers. In fact, most animated films do the same thing regardless of how they eventually perform.Wreck-It Ralph looked a lot zanier in the trailers. It's harder to sell stuff like pathos and drama and subtle character moments to kids. Even the Disney Renaissance trailers used broad strokes.

This trailer is a work of art in that regard. It WINS in EVERY WAY POSSIBLE!!

Probably my favorite trailer for an animated movie.

• Like 5

That is typically what most teaser trailers consist of, though. Frozen's final trailer was pretty conventional blockbuster advertising, as was DM2's.

I normally see one trailer for animated movies since I almost always decide to see them.

If I am not convinced, I see a second one, which killed me for Dragon 2.

edit: I guess I have to thank Olaf for keeping me completely new to Frozen since after seeing that teaser I didn't care to watch it until reviews/box office came out.

Then again, this might just be my memory playing tricks on me.

I was disappointed when Up had no teaser and I saw the trailer.

Edited by BK007
  • Like 1

That's the thing. The boy-friendly ones are usually NOT the more successful ones. Aladdin and The Lion King increased, but they appealed to everyone, boys and girls. But the most successful Disney animated films tend to be the ones that appeal to females. That's why Frozen broke out.It wasn't a "fan" thing, at least I don't think. The film obviously had less appeal to most audiences. It didn't hit the sweet spot that the previous three did, and that Toy Story would later that year.

Uhm i am not sure how you can say that the girl centered movies always did better than the boy centered ones (and yes, TLK is clearly centered around themes that primarily relate to boys... it is just that girls are supposed to also like this stuff whereas it is uncool for boys to like more girly things)... Tangled and Frozen are imo exceptions which might signal some change... but most of the renaissance movies with a female lead did worse than corresponding movies with male ones:

Tarzan did more than Mulan

Aladin did more than BatB and TLM

TLK did more than any of them (especially more than Pocahontas)

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 1

Doesn't look too bad, but the animation style is too similar to other Disney cgi outings at the moment. Baymax is funny, though. Not feeling the main dude. Btw, apparently the movie was done without a script, like Iron Man 1.

Also, dat Hans

Posted Image

Edited by portgas
  • Like 2

Out of Disney's last 6 movies, 4 were released in November, 1 was in December, and 1 was in June.

June

Pooh (flop)November

Bolt (success)

Tangled (hit)Ralph (hit)

Frozen (mega hit)December

The Princess and the Frog (success)

Bolt was released against the first Twilight. It was a mistake, but to be fair no one saw how big Twilight was going to be. Disney got scared of New Moon the next year, making the mistake of not releasing PatF on Thanksgiving weekend 2009.

Tangled and Frozen have shown that you an release an animated movie the week after a huge movie, DH1 and CF, and make plenty of money. New Moon was going to collapse on its second weekend like all the Twilight movies, and moving Frog two weeks earlier would have given it more time to make money before it got hit hard by Avatar and Alvin 2.

I think Disney's plans of releasing two animated movies in 2016 and 2018 and no movies in 2015 and 2017 is unwise. Not only does it make each of their next movies less special by having two movies in a year, but it splits hype and awards between movies. I wish they kept doing one new movie a year, which they have been doing very successfully since Meet the Robinsons,

Disney should continue to leave the June animated releases to Pixar, which has found great success with that month.  7 of their last 8 releases have been June. I feel like the Good Dinosaur is moving in on Disney's turf with its November 2015 release date, November has become Disney's month in recent years. Zootopia and the Good Dinosaur should switch release dates.

Huh?

Disney's Pocahontas is a Mary Sue.

http://unshavedmouse.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/disney-reviews-with-the-unshaved-mouse-33-pocahontas/

Disney make Pocahontas perfect and without flaws which is one of the reasons I've always found her boring. Falling in love with John Smith isn't a flaw. Disney was probably scared silly of offending people by giving her faults. They did a much better job their next POC princesses Mulan and Tiana later on, who were more realistic by not being perfect in every way.

Pocahontas has beautiful animation and music, but it's a shame I couldn't care less about the characters.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

Japanese Trailer!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06fDzTck8Ps

might be a bit spoilery?

Yeah, it's often best to be careful with Japanese trailers, which often tend to be fairly spoiler-ish. I think the trailer for Monsters University in Japan showed off much of the climax.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's often best to be careful with Japanese trailers, which often tend to be fairly spoiler-ish. I think the trailer for Monsters University in Japan showed off much of the climax.

Japan's final Frozen trailer was KICKASS.

But they spoiled the hell out of the movie. It showed key moments like the Ice palace creation with it being lifted from the ground, the chandelier drop, and Hans cutting off Marshmallow's leg. Thank god I only watched the Japan trailer after seeing the movie.

I'd advise fans to avoid the Japan trailers if they want to remain somewhat unspoiled.

• Like 2

This trailer is a work of art in that regard. It WINS in EVERY WAY POSSIBLE!! http://youtu.be/d_qR8YR6WeU Probably my favorite trailer for an animated movie.

While I agree that this trailer is very gorgeous and the one I always wanted for Frozen, the funny and wacky trailers are just important as this is an animated film whose primary audience are families and kids.
  • Like 2

This trailer is a work of art in that regard. It WINS in EVERY WAY POSSIBLE!!

Probably my favorite trailer for an animated movie.

Fun fact for you Avatar the Last Airbender fans: That guy narrating in the beginning is Avatar Roku. :D 

Doesn't look too bad, but the animation style is too similar to other Disney cgi outings at the moment. Baymax is funny, though. Not feeling the main dude. Btw, apparently the movie was done without a script, like Iron Man 1.

Also, dat Hans

Posted Image

Hans Westerguard, what are you doing there?:o  Reminds me of how Disney used to sneak things from the First Disney Renaissance films into other First Renaissance films, and Pixar does that too.  

I'm calling time portal shenanigans. :ph34r:

• Like 4