Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I don't know who these other people are but;

• Like 9

I don't know who these other people are but;

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BIG HERO 6 is basically a REAL GENIUS riff in which the nerds become superheroes. Very sweet movie.

— Jeremy Smith (@mrbeaks) October 17, 2014

#BigHero6 is visually inventive, exciting and astounding. Kids are gonna lose their friggin' minds over it.

— Courtney Howard (@Lulamaybelle) October 17, 2014

Oh crap, Big Hero 6 social embargo is up! It's freaking awesome! High energy action, lots of surprised and just the right amount of emotion

— Germain Lussier (@GermainLussier) October 17, 2014

Wow, "moving exploration of grief" was NOT what I was expecting. Color me VERY INTERESTED now. 

• Like 2

Kris Tapley is very intelligent, however, at least when it comes to general film discussion.

Intelligent or not, he's just one guy, and we all have our own expectations for what a movie should be. As for being "Saturday morning" I've sensed this myself from early on, but he says it like it's a bad thing, and I don't think that is necessarily the case at all.

Overall, the buzz for Big Hero 6 seems very positive so far, and I like everything I've seen.

Wow, "moving exploration of grief" was NOT what I was expecting. Color me VERY INTERESTED now.

WDAS would not produce a movie that doesn't have a solid emotional core, and this one has been about the ramifications of Tadashi's untimely and suspicious death all along (not a spoiler since this was revealed very early on), so naturally the movie must explore its effects on Hiro and how this helps him grow.

• Like 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2N6tjwA9Nk

That's some rocket-punch Baymax packs! By the way, did anybody spot the Frozen in-joke?

Even as a statue, Hans gets sucker-punched yet again.

:)

He was also kind of meh on Frozen and GotG, so I wouldn't be too worried.

He's not a fan of The Incredibles, either, for what that might be worth, saying that it's one of his least favorite Pixar movies. Now, I've called it "highly overrated" myself in this very thread, but I'm still a fan, and it's among my favorite Pixar movies. We all have preferences and opinions, but as far as the box office is concerned, what matters, besides pre-release hype, is how most people feel about movies, and how much and how many times (in some cases) they want to see certain movies.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

BH6 always seemed like Disney's answer to the success of How to Train Your Dragon.

I guess it could be viewed this way if you're so inclined, but they've done "A boy and his X" stories before, and this one doesn't seem directly related to HTTYD in any other way. And it's not as though HTTYD exactly set the world on fire with $218 million domestic and $495 million worldwide--that's pretty good but not exactly a giant "OMG, I gotta get on dat money wagon" kind of hit. The way it went down was likely how Don Hall and others have described it--Lasseter relayed the idea that Marvel properties could potentially be used as sources of inspiration, and Hall, a big comic book and superhero fan, found something obscure (in order to obtain permission) that he liked and thought he could make a good movie out of.

There are also strong elements of Power Rangers.

There are even female pink and yellow rangers on both teams! ;)

Well, this might have been one source of inspiration (I'm sure there were many), although a lot of Japanese anime and anime-inspired works are based on the familiar five-person team or sentai concept (popularized if not introduced by Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, or Battle of the Planets/G-Force: Guardians of Space in the West), which typically includes one female dressed in pink. When there are two females in either a five- or expanded six-person team, then naturally the other would be dressed in yellow, which I guess is also a stereotypically feminine color (relatively speaking).

In Disney's Big Hero 6, the yellow & black coloration of GoGo's costume is probably based on that of her Marvel counterpart, which leaves Honey as the designated female character costumed in pink.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2N6tjwA9Nk

That's some rocket-punch Baymax packs! By the way, did anybody spot the Frozen in-joke?

Even as a statue, Hans gets sucker-punched yet again.

:)

Great catch! I thought you were talking about the "walking Marshmallow" line at first! :D

Though now I'm disturbed at the thought of someone building a Hans statue in the Disneyverse. 

:(

It seems critics are divided as to whether Big Hero 6 is a "good movie" or a "bad movie."  Disney has done a great job of hiding the real intentions of the film while revealing bits of the film without going overboard.  I must say, Big Hero 6 seems interesting, even after the immense amount of trailers released, the core of the film has not been revealed.