Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-interstellar-big-745657

Snagged this from the other thread.  There is apparently some talk about whether BH6 might earn more than Intersteller for OW.

If it happens I will laugh in the Interstellar thread with a big amount of GIFs :lol:

• Like 4

14m will be reached in Russia today.

It will pass Tangled on Wednesday, and could reach $17m on Sunday.

If this happens, then Big Hero 6 really will be ahead of Wreck-It Ralph and even Tangled, as my crude estimates here and in the international thread seemed to suggest. :D It's just Russia, but it's still welcome news and a good early sign.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-interstellar-big-745657

Snagged this from the other thread. There is apparently some talk about whether BH6 might earn more than Intersteller for OW.

Uh...those "box office observers" may well include us. :lol: Whether this is factually true or not, it should serve as a warning against succumbing to our own hype (like what many here did with HTTYD 2 earlier this year).

I still do think that Big Hero 6 has a good chance of opening bigger than Interstellar, but it's not because of what The Hollywood Reporter tells me that I think...quite possibly literally in this case. ;)

If it happens I will laugh in the Interstellar thread with a big amount of GIFs :lol:

The online fanboy hype for Interstellar (and Nolan in general) is so overblown that we have nothing to lose by betting on Big Hero 6--if the former opens bigger, then that was expected, while if the latter does, then it would be a big surprise. Well, maybe not so much now that it's getting some hype of its own in the media, but that's a good thing to have, too.

By the way, no offense is intended to Interstellar itself on my part--I plan to see this movie, too (although I might wait another week now ;)), and am only talking about the unique brand of hype that surrounds it. When I see it I will judge for myself.

• Like 3

This would be the first time tracking has pegged Big Hero 6 even remotely close to Interstellar, also that's the lowest tracking number I have seen for Interstellar. So I have my doubts

Well, one is on the way up and the other has been on the way down. And didn't Frozen open significantly bigger than it was tracking? I don't know whether any adjustments were made to any metrics and/or formulas, but in any case tracking isn't always on the mark, anyway. Granted, Frozen had more superlatives in its reviews (even though they were less consistently rated fresh), but I don't think this has a real big effect on whether people show up on OW.

I have my doubts about Big Hero 6 coming out on top, too, but it could happen.

Ranking doesn't matter :rolleyes:

This may be true in principle, but I think that a win by Big Hero 6 would generate some nice buzz.

I think Interstellar will have a better OW, but BH6 will have better legs.

Probably, I think, on the latter, although I think it's more likely that Big Hero 6 will win the OW, too.

By the way, don't look now, but here is the first "rotten" review on RT (OH NOES! :o;)):

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Big-Hero-6-66379.html

It's nothing we don't already know, and obviously this critic expected the movie to be more ambitious in certain ways. At least the movie is still over 90%...for now.... :unsure:

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

Well, one is on the way up and the other has been on the way down. And didn't Frozen open significantly bigger than it was tracking? I don't know whether any adjustments were made to any metrics and/or formulas, but in any case tracking isn't always on the mark, anyway. Granted, Frozen had more superlatives in its reviews (even though they were less consistently rated fresh), but I don't think this has a real big effect on whether people show up on OW.

I have my doubts about Big Hero 6 coming out on top, too, but it could happen.

This may be true in principle, but I think that a win by Big Hero 6 would generate some nice buzz.

Probably, I think, on the latter, although I think it's more likely that Big Hero 6 will win the OW, too.

By the way, don't look now, but here is the first "rotten" review on RT (OH NOES! :o;)):

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Big-Hero-6-66379.html

It's nothing we don't already know, and obviously this critic expected the movie to be more ambitious in certain ways. At least the movie is still over 90%...for now.... :unsure:

lol.  Intersteller got the same star rating as BH6 with this critic though.

• Like 1

What is interesting about BH6 is the fact we'll talk about it for months given its late release in France in February, and a success in Japan could give it a lot of hype here like it happened with Frozen.

It will most likely affect it in a negative way. How's piracy in France? Here, the late realease date is pretty much going to kill it.

It will most likely affect it in a negative way. How's piracy in France? Here, the late realease date is pretty much going to kill it.

Given the mediocre English of my fellow citizens piracy won't really affect it, particularly an animated movie.

Given the mediocre English of my fellow citizens piracy won't really affect it, particularly an animated movie.

France is one area where I don't think that's as much an issue.

China though...

France is one area where I don't think that's as much an issue.

China though...

China is big enough as a market, I wouldn't worry, it's an animated movie so its main target,kids and their parents, won't be likely to watch on the Internet. I'm not worried at all.

By the way I'm confident about it in France : We like animated movies, we like Disney movies, we like Hollywood movies, we like superheroes movies and we like Japanese animation (we're the biggest foreign market for manga sales after China and the US) so it's a big win. :D

• Like 2