Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

To actually evoke genuine emotion?

When Tadashi was introduced, my friend whispered to me, "Yeah, he's going to die in ten minutes." The bait-and-switch was obvious from the start as well. Besides the art direction, everything in this movie was pulled from older and better WDAS and Marvel movies. It just didn't feel fresh to me at all.

If you're doing something in a story JUST to evoke emotion, then that's a poor use of the form. Emotional beats should drive the plot forward, or at least work in tandem with it.

Now, if you feel that the emotional arcs in the story aren't well done, that's something else entirely. I don't agree, mostly because BH6 hits the right emotional climax. And unlike most Marvel films it actually has a third act that stands up well.

• Like 1

Huh, I thought it had pretty strong first two acts, and the last act falters. It was quite rushed and clunky.

I was fine with the way they handled Tadashi and his death, but the villain reveal and the villain himself is pretty lame (something that many Marvel movies in general had)

Still though, the movie as a whole is enjoyable, a fun ride, and the friendships, superheroes powers aspects were good.

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

There's nothing particularly bad about it, and the visuals are nice, but it doesn't really do much to stand out. Almost every emotional beat seems like a direct lift from other movies. I get that there are only so many variations of this basic story, but nonetheless, it just wasn't that engaging for me.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

There's nothing particularly bad about it, and the visuals are nice, but it doesn't really do much to stand out. Almost every emotional beat seems like a direct lift from other movies. I get that there are only so many variations of this basic story, but nonetheless, it just wasn't that engaging for me.

Wow, I agree with Tele. Something must be coming down with me today.

How about Tele Jr.? Did he enjoy it?

• Like 2

BH6 was a good and fun to watch, but afterwards it's pretty much forgettable. It's not like I didn't try to like it, I did and I was very excited and already joined the fandom way before I watched the movie. But right after, I left and never came back. And like I said before in this forum, honestly, I love Feast more than BH6.

If you're doing something in a story JUST to evoke emotion, then that's a poor use of the form. Emotional beats should drive the plot forward, or at least work in tandem with it.

Now, if you feel that the emotional arcs in the story aren't well done, that's something else entirely. I don't agree, mostly because BH6 hits the right emotional climax. And unlike most Marvel films it actually has a third act that stands up well.

When an emotional beat comes off as calculated, it fails to generate actual emotion. Emotional beats should move the plot forward, but they should also feel genuine and not mechanical. Killing off Tadashi was so derivative of WDAS and Marvel movies that it just felt like a cog in a machine trying to move forward the plot.

Good luck to WDAS and Big Hero 6 tonight!  I do hope you get the Oscar for Best Animated Feature but at least you already have one Oscar secured for Feast which WILL win Best Short. 

I'm atheist but I will still pray for BH6 to win something :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1