Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Yes, robot fights superheroes, I can already feel the orgasm at the cinemas in May.

It's gonna circle the globe. :lol:

BH6 won the Oscar and crossed $600M worldwide and the the thread is still about the first look and new trailer :P

What do you expect from one of the quietist BO performances last year. Still a good solid run IMO.

Neat... i guess robot movies really perform incredibly well in China :)

Sci-fi in general tends to perform well there, and although BH6 is not related to China specifically, having an Asian protagonist and Asian-themed setting probably doesn't hurt.

BH6 won the Oscar and crossed $600M worldwide and the the thread is still about the first look and new trailer :P

SHHHH!  Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know. ;)

What do you expect from one of the quietist BO performances last year. Still a good solid run IMO.

I know this has been brought up before, but why is this?  Maybe if a movie is anything less than a cultural phenomenon like Frozen, then it's considered business as usual for WDAS these days?  I mean, even watching it at home now, BH6 still seems like a spectacular movie that should have garnered a lot more attention outside of just the box office (although I'll take what I can get).

I know this has been brought up before, but why is this?  Maybe if a movie is anything less than a cultural phenomenon like Frozen, then it's considered business as usual for WDAS these days?  I mean, even watching it at home now, BH6 still seems like a spectacular movie that should have garnered a lot more attention outside of just the box office (although I'll take what I can get).

Nostalgia Critic reviewed BH6 and he said that the movie is just an "okay" movie. 

http://channelawesome.com/disneycember-big-hero-6/

And I kinda agree with him.

• Like 1

It is the Pocahontas effect. A successful movie looks less impressive after following a mega hit (The Lion King). :ph34r:

I know this has been brought up before, but why is this? Maybe if a movie is anything less than a cultural phenomenon like Frozen, then it's considered business as usual for WDAS these days? I mean, even watching it at home now, BH6 still seems like a spectacular movie that should have garnered a lot more attention outside of just the box office (although I'll take what I can get).

There's a number of reasons.

1. But yeah you touched in on it, the biggest is that it's in the shadow of Frozen. Frozen is still going strong. Damn even Cinderella is being overshadowed. It seems Frozen Fever is what is largely talked about.

2. Interstellar grabbed a good chunk of media attention

3. Animated movies, apart from Lego Movie, just didn't get much attention.

Still kudos to the third highest grossing WDAS movie! :bravo:

Nostalgia Critic reviewed BH6 and he said that the movie is just an "okay" movie. 

http://channelawesome.com/disneycember-big-hero-6/

And I kinda agree with him.

But that's not the point--BH6 has grossed over $221M DOM and over $604M WW so far, and from what I've seen its videos are flying off the shelves.  Clearly a lot of people like the movie regardless of what one person or other might think of it.  I was commenting not on overall quality (I do think it's a lot better than just OK and is fully deserving of the Best Animated Feature Oscar, but that's just my opinion) but on spectacle, which is more basic.  For whatever reasons the movie is not getting the attention and hype that movies that perform like this usually get.

It is the Pocahontas effect. A successful movie looks less impressive after following a mega hit (The Lion King). :ph34r:

I've suggested in the past myself that Frozen has been overshadowing BH6, and I think that it is natural and undoubtedly true, but for comparison I recall people talking a lot more about Pocahontas even though it was in the shadow of The Lion King, and not just about the perception that it underperformed or the historical controversy (although I guess these draw more attention in general).  BH6 is just kind of weirdly quiet, and that's about it. :blink:  I'll take this over the movie flopping and the discussion being about what went wrong any day, though.

• Like 1

The Lion King and Frozen were phenomenon in their time and the fact BH6 has managed to be a success for Disney without too much hype just shows the strength of the WDAS brand and they managed to successfully turn them around in a decade, they were really in the doldrums in the 2000s. 

I do think they might be potential for a sequel but I would be happy if it ends up being standalone since the WDAS slate is already quite packed with Zootopia, Moana, Giants and the Space Race film. 

• Like 1

The overshadowing of BH6 is probably from multiple factors.

Primarily, it's one of release date. Disney decided the early November date was best. as I've examined earlier in the thread, this might have caused a drop of $50m or so in DOM gross compared to a Thanksgiving release. BH6 had incredibly strong legs throughout the Christmas season, so a gross of the upper 200s rather than lower 200s is a probability had they moved it before the Home/Penguins switch.

Added to that, at the time of its release, it was facing off against Interstellar, which it beat, DOM, but since it was a Nolan film, that meant the press focus was on that rather than BH6. When you look at the subsequent weeks it would be a weaker than expected MJ1 opening (news) and a rather lackluster Thanksgiving (news). A "strong but not phenomenal legs from BH6" is not going to buck the news trend. And after that things are focused on the Christmas releases and oscars.

Finally, the OS release strategy was extremely staggered, so there was never a chance for BH6 to break out and rule the news cycle. Except, I suppose in the early December weekend where it might have won the WW gross for once, but who cares about that.

All in all, it makes it the quietest domestic, WW, and Oscar animation winner.

(Even if I feel that it didn't deserve the latter: HTTYD2, Song of the Sea, and Kaguya were all stronger films, it still conspired to make it seem like an alt-ran film at every point in its run.)

Good on China for bucking the trend. I wonder if it will get an extended play period like Frozen did.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 2

Also, when it comes to animated movies, pop culture outlets usually tend to be obsessed with only princess musicals, sequels, and movies with bombastic openings like Lego and the Pixar movies of the 00's. Since BH6 fulfilled none of those criteria, it was always destined to be overshadowed at least in terms of popular news coverage.

This movie was incredible! Better than Frozen.. maybe even better than Tangled.. perhaps the best animated film I've seen since... The Lion King!!

Wreck it Ralph was pretty good too, you know. I persanally feel that it was better than both frozen and tangled.

This movie was incredible! Better than Frozen.. maybe even better than Tangled.. perhaps the best animated film I've seen since... The Lion King!! 

Out of curiosity, why did you like it so much?  From what I've heard (friend saw it but not me), the only characters to get any development were Hiro and Baymax, and the main reason Baymax was caring was because of his programming, rather than developing his own personality beyond his intended purpose like WALL-E.

Wreck it Ralph was pretty good too, you know. I persanally feel that it was better than both frozen and tangled.

Forgot to Mention Wheck-it Ralph, loved that too. right now I would rank them, 4. Frozen, 3. Wreck-it Ralph, 2. Tangled, 1. Big Hero 6.

Out of curiosity, why did you like it so much?  From what I've heard (friend saw it but not me), the only characters to get any development were Hiro and Baymax, and the main reason Baymax was caring was because of his programming, rather than developing his own personality beyond his intended purpose like WALL-E.

It resonated with me on a very personal level. the relationship between Hiro and Tadashi specifically, to extant it reminded me of me and my brother-in-law. who died when I was 10. and Baymax being something like a part of Tadashi that Hiro could hold on to, which consequently my best friend is now my brother-in-law's son who reminds of him so much it's almost scary sometimes, and

the part where Hiro had to leave Baymax behind was one of the most heartbreaking scenes I've ever seen before in an animated film

This movie had more heart in my opinion than, frozen Wheck-it Ralph or Tangled. it was also very funny. and sure the side characters were a little under developed. but the set up for Hiro and Tadashi, and Hiro and Baymax's relationship was handled so well it almost doesn't matter. I just saw it so my opinion my change a bit, but right now it is one of only three animated films I would give an A+

• Like 6

Glad to see it achieving same success as other superhero movies. It wouldn't be proper for it to fail. Totally deserves its success. Here's hoping for a sequel. The movie is just awesome through and through, but there's a room for improvement.

• Like 2

My kid has a baymax shirt, the 3 inch baymax figure, the deluxe flying baymax with launchable Fist, and several big hero six books, stickers etc.

I think they are doing quite well.

Disney needs to handle Baymax right in terms of merchandising, theme park presence, television and social media through the years. Baymax can be bigger than Stitch.