Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Following WIR's drops from here out, it's not crossing $200m until New Year's weekend, but some stronger holds here and there could get it to $200m by Christmas weekend. Cume looking $215-230m

Edited by cory

Considering how Wreck-It Ralph dropped only 11% against Rise of the Guardians, I don't think we should be too worried about The Penguins. It should stay under a 20% drop.

Hmmm but Penguins are way more appealing that Rise of the Guardians. That's why Penguins might hurt BH6.

Using the same daily increases for Wreck it Ralph, BH6 will gross 19.1M for the Thanksgiving weekend. That'll be a -5.6% drop compared to last weeked. Too good to be true but hey, let me hope for the best.

Actually, BH6 increased better compared to Ralph on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving (50% vs 45%).

Here is a nice background piece on WDAS' new renderer Hyperion and some of their working processes that isn't overly technical:

Technical Supervisor Hank Driskill Explains the Tech Behind Disney's Big Hero 6 (4 pages)

Urgh Penguins is expected to have nice Thanksgiving numbers. I am seriously afraid for Big Hero 6.

Penguins of Madagascar doesn't look all that strong based on Wednesday's estimate of $7M:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/hunger-games-dominating-early-thanksgiving-box-office-1201365439/

Hmmm but Penguins are way more appealing that Rise of the Guardians. That's why Penguins might hurt BH6.

It's early, but thus far it looks to be a lot more like going up against Mr. Peabody & Sherman than Madagascar 3.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

I feel like this is the most competitive holiday season for family movies. We have Big Hero 6, Penguins, Annie, Night at The Museum and Into The Woods fighting each other. I hate it. Studios usually release oscar-bait films this season. Urgh.

There's still lots of Oscaar bait. And 2/5th of your list is Disney. They usually have a couple films for holidays. And Disney...well...they don't do Oscaar bait...not since they sold the Weinsteins.

• Like 1

Hopefully BH6 can stay above 18M this thanksgiving weekend. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it drops more than 10% given that Penguins is looking to be a stronger competition than Rise of the Guardians before.

I feel like this is the most competitive holiday season for family movies. We have Big Hero 6, Penguins, Annie, Night at The Museum and Into The Woods fighting each other. I hate it. Studios usually release oscar-bait films this season. Urgh.

About competition for BH6, i make a google search for news in past 24 hours: "disney big hero 6" has 4 pages of results, "big hero 6" alone had 9 pages, "penguins of madagascar" had 10 pages and "disney frozen" .... had 25 pages.

• Like 2

About competition for BH6, i make a google search for news in past 24 hours: "disney big hero 6" has 4 pages of results, "big hero 6" alone had 9 pages, "penguins of madagascar" had 10 pages and "disney frozen" .... had 25 pages.

I don't recall whether it was here or on another forum, but I had theorized that maybe the "animation fatigue" that some have talked about is caused by Frozen's cold shadow falling over the entire family entertainment market, not only drawing away attention and sapping the strength of hype, but also devouring an inordinate amount of money with its merchandise. The effect may be sufficient to cause not a huge but a noticeable depression effect on other family movies. I've wondered whether Big Hero 6 is being hurt by Frozen as much as it is benefiting from it (being a WDAS movie).

EDIT: Found it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2245084/board/thread/236790767?d=237259397#237259397

That's me (user name "rbrtck"). I had joked about Frozen sucking some of the life out of other animated features months ago, but I wasn't being serious. Your observation, however, would seem to support this crazy theory. It's not even about that movie's box office--it's the phenomenon as a whole that keeps on chugging along like there is no end. Not that Big Hero 6 is doing poorly by any means, but like many others here I can't shake the feeling that it should be doing even better.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

I don't recall whether it was here or on another forum, but I had theorized that maybe the "animation fatigue" that some have talked about is caused by Frozen's cold shadow falling over the entire family movie market, not only drawing away attention and sapping the strength of hype, but also devouring an inordinate amount of money with its merchandise. The effect may be sufficient to cause not a huge but a noticeable depression effect on other family movies. I've wondered whether Big Hero 6 is being hurt by Frozen as much as it is benefiting from it (being a WDAS movie).

Animation fatigue only affects film which aren't doing so hot, The Lego Movie's success has led to shortages in Lego products. Big Hero 6 being a more male centric film has to compete with boy centric products like Transformers, Lego etc whereas Frozen there is girl centric merch where the competition is nowhere near as tough, 

• Like 2

BH6 looks to be heading for a great hold this weekend.  At least better than WiR, so hoping this starts putting more distance with the holds and starts showing some real strong legs.  Of course it helps that Penguins isn't breaking out.

I certainly hope so. The very minimal drop this weekend makes me think that WOM is kicking in full gear. I'm not giving up yet on that 220M domestic total.

• Like 3

Still a long time. I just hope it won't flop there like how bad Wreck-it Ralph did.

Yeah, Wreck-It Ralph flopped in Germany, too, but it's one of those rare WDAS animated features that is so tied to a specific culture. Well, many others are, too, but I mean in the use of language and other ideas that in WDAS animated features are usually more universal and can be more effectively translated. The Lego Movie had the same type of problem, and performed even worse at the OS box office (except in English-speaking markets). On the other hand, Big Hero 6 seems more like a typical WDAS animated feature in this regard, so I expect it to do fine OS, and maybe even really great in Asia, as it has already been doing in the smaller markets in that region (with the bigger markets still to come).

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

Big Hero 6 being a more male centric film has to compete with boy centric products like Transformers, Lego etc whereas Frozen there is girl centric merch where the competition is nowhere near as tough,

But in terms of box office Big Hero 6 still needs to attract girls just like Frozen needed to attract boys, therefore it still could be overshadowed to a degree.

• Like 1