Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

It was VERY smart of Disney to put the BH6 trailer with GOTG, which is turning out to be a hit. Plenty of people will be seeing the trailer over the next few weeks.

At my GOTG screening, I heard a couple of laughs during the tape scene, Baymax sneaking back into the house part, and the hairy baby cat scene. :D

• Like 1

It was VERY smart of Disney to put the BH6 trailer with GOTG, which is turning out to be a hit. Plenty of people will be seeing the trailer over the next few weeks.

At my GOTG screening, I heard a couple of laughs during the tape scene, Baymax sneaking back into the house part, and the hairy baby cat scene. :D

Positive reaction to the trailer from my audience as well. This one doesn't have the hook of a Wreck It Ralph or the lure of a princess saga that Frozen delivered. That said, it's going to make bank. I mean, it's family film of choice through Thanksgiving. And, if resonates at all with kids/GA, it'll earn nice money straight on through Christmas. $250M+ DOM is a distinct possibility.

Uh, no they aren't. They lost all credibility when they went with Kung Fu Panda over WALL-E, and they were widely believed to be in Dreamworks' pocket during that time period. Disney/Pixar didn't campaign at all for the 2010 awards out of protest. Question Brave's win if you want, but the Oscars get it right the vast majority of the time.

Yeah I lost respect to the Annie's when WallE lost that year. If there's a film deserving to be the successor to BATB's best picture nom (aside from The Lion King), it's Wall E.

One thing I didn't like was that the female characters are once again marginalized in the new BH6 trailer, like how they were in the first two Frozen and early Tangled trailers.

Only 2 seconds of Gogo and Hiro's mom/aunt in the second trailer. Is Disney afraid that showing the girls too much will scare off the male audience? :unsure:

One thing I didn't like was that the female characters are once again marginalized in the new BH6 trailer, like how they were in the first two Frozen and early Tangled trailers. Only 2 seconds of Gogo and Hiro's mom/aunt in the second trailer. Is Disney afraid that showing the girls too much will scare off the male audience? :unsure:

I don't know, but showing more Honey Lemon would get the hype train going for me.

One thing I didn't like was that the female characters are once again marginalized in the new BH6 trailer, like how they were in the first two Frozen and early Tangled trailers.Only 2 seconds of Gogo and Hiro's mom/aunt in the second trailer. Is Disney afraid that showing the girls too much will scare off the male audience? :unsure:

Or it could be they want to focus on Hiro's and Baymax...since the story is mainly about them.

People expect big numbers from this because it comes after Frozen but I don't know why the goodwill fromm Frozen would pass on to this.

The movies  have nothing in common besides their studio.

:WHATanabe:

Why would people go see Monsters Inc? It has nothing in common with Toy Story besides the studio.

Why would people go see The Secret World of Arrietty? It has nothing in common with Ponyo besides the studio.

Why would people go see Madagascar? It has nothing in common with Shrek 2 besides the studio.

Or, hell... Why would people go see Guardians of the Galaxy? It has nothing in common with Captain America besides the studio.

Sometimes the studio matters.

• Like 3

This might not be a comedy maybe.

Disney animated features typically have a lot of comedy in addition to more serious things, and BH6 is definitely going to be typical in this regard, as opposed to a comedy-focused movie (WDAS doesn't make many of those--it's hard to even think of one besides The Emperor's New Groove). Now, whether the comedy is actually funny depends on individual taste, of course. 

Positive reaction to the trailer from my audience as well.

I'm seeing more of a reaction to this movie's trailers than those of other movies overall--like GotG's trailers, they seem to grab the audience's attention. Usually there is little-to-no reaction to trailers, which doesn't necessarily indicate that people are not interested, but when there is a noticeable positive reaction that's virtually always a good sign. 

This one doesn't have the hook of a Wreck It Ralph or the lure of a princess saga that Frozen delivered.

BH6 has Disney itself (WDAS) as a hook, as well as superheroes (their own take, which may be of interest), both of which are hot right now.

That said, it's going to make bank. I mean, it's family film of choice through Thanksgiving. And, if resonates at all with kids/GA, it'll earn nice money straight on through Christmas. $250M+ DOM is a distinct possibility.

I think that $250 million is a good target despite its release date, and it could make more if it really delivers and has great WOM. 

One thing I didn't like was that the female characters are once again marginalized in the new BH6 trailer, like how they were in the first two Frozen and early Tangled trailers.

Well, at least the main characters are being featured, as opposed to what was done with Frozen. The other characters in BH6 are definitely secondary, although I've heard that Honey Lemon actually has an arc of some sort, so maybe she'll be a surprise breakout character, which wouldn't be a bad thing (no need to start the hype now--let it be a surprise if it happens at all). 

Only 2 seconds of Gogo and Hiro's mom/aunt in the second trailer. Is Disney afraid that showing the girls too much will scare off the male audience? :unsure:

Yes, Disney's domestic marketing, at least with regard to their tent-pole animated features, seems to take the girl audience for granted, and is primarily concerned about winning over the boys--this is expressly so, not an accident or coincidence. That's why Frozen, which they undoubtedly viewed as a "girly" movie, was their worst nightmare, prompting them to take the extreme measure of excluding both female co-protagonists entirely from the teaser, in addition to removing anything feminine from the movie's title (which was intended by WDAS to have been "Anna and the Snow Queen" as it is in Japan, where advertising to women and girls is OK for Disney).Of course this is all so silly, as Frozen is hardly a "girly" movie by any reasonable definition, and Disney's assumption that boys can't like and sympathize with female characters is ludicrous. But that's apparently how they think, and it is reliably and repeatedly reflected in their actions with regard to marketing (ever since The Princess and the Frog underperformed, which they blame on its lack of appeal to boys as well as the fact that it is a hand-drawn animated feature). 

Or it could be they want to focus on Hiro's and Baymax...since the story is mainly about them.

That would be a big change from Frozen's marketing (at least its initial marketing, which more of the public saw than anything later on). No, it's acceptable because Hiro and Baymax (presumably, as he's obviously a robot) are male. From Disney's perspective, they have long had the female audience (and consumers) in their back pocket, and they covet all the money they feel they could be making from the guys. 

People expect big numbers from this because it comes after Frozen but I don't know why the goodwill fromm Frozen would pass on to this.The movies  have nothing in common besides their studio.

I think this helps, although the movie still has to sell itself. The studio matters in this case because it is the basis of the brand, and the way they make movies is not simply hiring random crews and auteur directors to make whatever--these movies are highly collaborative efforts and there is a sort of continuity between them, as well as an overall vision. If you enjoyed what WDAS or Pixar have produced before, then you're likely to enjoy what they're coming out with next. It's no guarantee as each project is ultimately its own thing, and each is a monumental struggle, but there are a lot of the same people working collectively to make sure that each movie meets a certain, currently very high in the case of WDAS, standard. 

That works for Pixar and Marvel.

Does it not work for the Disney brand? It's been around a lot longer than Pixar, and I think the public is well aware by now that they're "back." Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

With ‘Feast,’ Disney Re-Brands Itself As the New Pixar

Not a fan of the title of the article but it has some info on 'Feast',  the WDAS short attached to BH6

Feast is a continual sequence of Winston (the terrier in question) being fed whatever his owner doesn’t feel like finishing. Up until the end (where Osborne throws a few kinks into the formula), it’s largely the same shot, every single time: a static, dog’s eye-level view of a dog dish, stacked to the brim with cold, uninviting kibble. 

There will be conflict and there will be heartache, and all of it will be communicated through a tiny dog eating meals roughly the size of his torso. But this is Disney, so the end result will warm the very depths of your heart (and also cause you to uncontrollably hug the next Boston terrier you pass on the street).

• Like 2

The both times I watched the trailers for this that was attached to GOTG, it was met with very enthusiastic response.It looks like a fun adventure to me, hopefully it'll do well.