diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

South Korea daily box office (04/25) 

Posted Image

As expected The amazing spider-man continues it's dominance, nothing else came remotely close. It's OD and Thursday was extremely disappointing but it recovered well on Friday and is actually only 15% down from TASM's friday in it's opening week. Presales going into the weekend is also very strong and the 5day OW should come close to TASM's 4day OW but I don't see it going over.

CA:TWS should pass 3.8M admissions this weekend. A stellar performance from captain rodgers who has clearly become a favorite over here :)

• Like 7

So very close, but my question is are films not frontloaded in places like SK as well as NA?

Films are pretty frontloaded so it's best to make the best of opening week. TASM2 faces serious competition next week and doesn't have much going for it in the way of ratings or WoM so decrease looks inevitable.

It's an amazing performance by GBH here it's getting a lot of media attention for it's success. Putting a lot of the big budget movies here to shame :)

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

TASM2 Thursday: 244,158/ 613,442projectionSat  565,000  +130%Sunday 479,000 -15%5-day 1,660,000TASM1  1.70M 4-day OW

You mean friday right ;)I bad but not horrible. I still think its possible to almost match the first. 3D ratio could be a bit better and late drops could be better also. Hope is not over yet but any dream of 600 mill is over

You mean friday right ;)I bad but not horrible. I still think its possible to almost match the first.3D ratio could be a bit better and late drops could be better also.Hope is not over yet but any dream of 600 mill is over

It will have it's legs cut under it in the second week. If it had good word of mouth I would say it had a shot but it's sadly lacking in that department. TASM on the other hand had very good legs

Week-to-week drop for TASM:

week1: 1,696,133
week2: 1,668,110 (-1.6%)
week3: 1,033,525 (-37.6%)
week4: 381,868 (-63%)

Really, TASM2 needs a breakout in China to save it.
  • Like 1

Format dominance 2014 (1/1~4/26)

Posted Image

Higher preference for 3D compared to 2013 (2.2%) can be chalked down to hollywood films outperforming local ones. Generally though, 3D is not seen as a choice but something you see when there are no seats available. IMAX and 4DX was about the same last year too but the diffrence is huge this time, mainly because of the success of frozen which set a record for 4DX admissions. 

• Like 2

Format dominance 2014 (1/1~4/26)

Posted Image

Higher preference for 3D compared to 2013 (2.2%) can be chalked down to hollywood films outperforming local ones. Generally though, 3D is not seen as a choice but something you see when there are no seats available. IMAX and 4DX was about the same last year too but the diffrence is huge this time, mainly because of the success of frozen which set a record for 4DX admissions. 

Almost all blockbusters are released in 3D exclusively in China. :angry:

• Like 1

South Korea daily box office (04/25) 

Posted Image

As expected The amazing spider-man continues it's dominance, nothing else came remotely close. It's OD and Thursday was extremely disappointing but it recovered well on Friday and is actually only 15% down from TASM's friday in it's opening week. Presales going into the weekend is also very strong and the 5day OW should come close to TASM's 4day OW but I don't see it going over.

CA:TWS should pass 3.8M admissions this weekend. A stellar performance from captain rodgers who has clearly become a favorite over here :)

As axpected The amazing spider-man continues it's dominance, nothing else came remotely close....

Sorry don't wanne be rude but if Cap should come close afther more than 4 week release I don't think TASM2 would be doing good... I mean there is no new  big movie that opens so it's normal for a frens. movie to be domenating. I hope it still could do 1.9M admition in it's first weekend because frensh. drop harder (normaly)

As axpected The amazing spider-man continues it's dominance, nothing else came remotely close....Sorry don't wanne be rude but if Cap should come close afther more than 4 week release I don't think TASM2 would be doing good... I mean there is no new  big movie that opens so it's normal for a frens. movie to be domenating. I hope it still could do 1.9M admition in it's first weekend because frensh. drop harder (normaly)

Cap isn't close, it's 1/12 of TASM2 on friday. Spider-man is dominating by default since there's nothing to compete with it. That will change next week and we'll see how TASM2 really fares. Sorry 1.9M admissions isn't happening. For that to happen it would need to do 1.3M admissions this weekend...

I expected TASM2 to do a little higher than that, given the fact that Korea is pro-superhero market. Unless it holds well here and in other major markets, I think TASM2 may not even match TASM1 OS... :o   :o

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 3

South Korea daily Box Office (04/26)

Posted Image

The amazing spider-man 2 didn't surprise and pretty much did as people predicted, not good or bad just average. Admissions is down -16.3% compared to TASM's OW saturday and now stands at a total of 1.14m $9.33m cume. It should get around 450k~ admissions on sunday for a total of 1.6 million admissions. 

Captain America passed 3.8 million admissions on saturday. It's still ranked as the 9th highest CBM SH movie and looks unlikely to pass TDK's 4M admissions which is ranked 8. 

The other films aside from GBH and Han gong-ju (arthouse film) did depressingly bad. The fatal encounter preview screening coming in 9th is just...sad 

• Like 7

Cap isn't close, it's 1/12 of TASM2 on friday. Spider-man is dominating by default since there's nothing to compete with it. That will change next week and we'll see how TASM2 really fares.Sorry 1.9M admissions isn't happening. For that to happen it would need to do 1.3M admissions this weekend...

You misunderstood me, I didn’t say that cap came close, I said if cap would come close it would be a very bad weekend for TASM2. 

And why is 4M admission unlikely for CAP? Will they get out of the theathers soon? 

• Like 1