diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Pacific Rim vs. Godzilla  admissions                    PR       GZ                          OD             212k    87,9114-day OW 1.37MFinal total  2.54M

Godzilla opend to 88k adm????

Possible reasons why it isn't doing so well

1. Average marketing

2. Godzilla isn't really an established brand here so no help there. 

3. Sewol ferry accident, not all the bodies have been retrieved and it remains a big issue. 

4. May is still generally a weak month for movies.

5. Poster controversy

6. Ratings aren't that good. It's at 6.99/10 on naver

based on presales, it's showing no signs of recovering. There's always a chance it could be not really that great a film. I was left pretty underwhelmed by the trailer and I'm split as to whether I should go see it or not.

Edited by Rsyu

Following a discussion about how ridiculous BOM is sometimes, look at this: they say that Godzilla took 1st place at the box office yesterday, but the only thing they provide is a link to the film's release dates in various countries.  :bash:

https://twitter.com/boxofficemojo/status/467062968661049344

Only 7 from 32 countries? isn't that pretty bad?

The situation doesn't look bad, tbh. But neither exceptional. It'll end up with about $300-350M OS imho. With the global releases of X-Men: DOFP next week and Maleficent the week after, I can't see it going any higher, no matter how high its opening weekend is.

Edited by Quigley

8 actually. Add Egypt, Luxemburg and a part of Switzerland to that list ;-) IMDB release dates Godzilla

Do you have a report for 05/15?

The situation doesn't look bad, tbh. But neither exceptional. It'll end up with about $300-350M OS imho. With the global releases of X-Men: DOFP next week and Maleficent the week after, I can't see it going any higher, no matter how high its opening weekend is.

So you expect it to outgross PR? Edited by Rsyu

South Korea Daily Box Office (05/15)

Posted Image

Presales for the weekend:

Obsessed 49,128 (25.8%)

Godzilla 42,186 (22.1%)

Transcendence 31,166 (16.4%)

The Fatal Encounter 17,591 (9.1%)

The Target 13,958 (7.3%)

TASM2 8975 (4.7%)

• Like 2

South Korea Daily Box Office (05/16)

Posted Image

That's an extremely average Friday all round. No movie saw any significant increase which is pretty unusual. I really hope DoFP doesn't meet a similar fate next week. Godzilla is rated 6.84 and 5.6 out of 10 on naver and daum respectively, the two biggest portal websites in Korea. That's lower than transcendence's rating  :ph34r:

• Like 1