diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

LOL!! 4x multi from OD? That must be one of the worst multipliers in any country, ever. I thought this was a pretty leggy market.

You'd have to ask Rysu as he is the numbers guy, but it would not surprise me if it was at least the worst ever multiplier in Korea (at least for any film that made over say 700k admissions)

This has been a great month for animated films all over the world. Minions and Inside Out in US, IO in SK and TMK in China. Two of these runs, IO in SK (and to some degree in US too) and TMK in China, were compeltely unexpected and really exceptional. Both were WoM fueled. The more exceptional and amazing run out of the two, even though both runs are truly amazing ones in a very rare manner, is TMK's in my opinion which just kept increasing and increasing over its weekend numbers and didn't fade even the influence of two other big time big(ger) monsters.

Yeah the fact that it increased over  it's weekend is amazing and probably even more so than IO run.

But let's not forget that the biggest run for any pixar movie ever was like 2M admission and this is going to double that. And it not only had the biggest opening weekend for a pixar movie it also increased by 28% on it's next weekend, every weekday (wednesday aside) has increased so far :D

But like i said topping your weekend numbers in week days is something superb :D

Edited by pepsa

Thursday Box Office (July 23) 

(*optimized for the IP board blue format)

-Admissions  (Total Adm)  Daily%   Gross   (weekly%)   [sC]    {wk}   <Title>

1.   435,056       (927,017)    -8.91%  $2.83M         (--)       [1,330] {Wk1} <Assassination> NEW
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.    98,374      (2,502,299)  +1.88%   $625K     (-5.37%)    [608]   {Wk3} <Inside Out
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.    30,983      (5,781,556)   -12.7%   $187K     (-63.6%)    [454]  {Wk5} <Northern Limit Line
4.    24,512        (60,121)      -30.1%   $145K         (--)         [416]  {Wk1} <Yokai-watch>  NEW

5.    13,211       (578,750)     -13.2%    $82K      (-80.8%)    [348]  {Wk2} <Pixels

Total admissions: 641,722
Total Gross: $4,111,053
June Total: $102,242,552

Cumulative Gross

Northern Limit Line: $40.09 million

Inside Out: $17.12 million
Assassination: $6.06 million

Current presales (Midnight)

01. 53.5% (213,955) Assassination
02. 22.3%   (89,219) Inside Out
03.   8.0%   (31,857) Youkai-watch
04.   7.1%   (28,331) Mission Impossible
05.   2.6%   (10,333) Northern Limit Line

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 5

LOL!! 4x multi from OD? That must be one of the worst multipliers in any country, ever. I thought this was a pretty leggy market.

It's leggy for films that get good word of mouth. The total is fine for an animated film it just looks terrible because of the height it fell from. 

I was hoping for #1 animated feature of all time but competition seems stiff at the moment but IO's performance is bewilderjng at the moment.

Expecting it to beat Frozen was unrealistic. I think 1M-1.2M admissions was the expected result pre-release considering the most attended pixar film to date is TS3 with 1,458,865 admissions. IO will do well to beat KFP in my opinion

You'd have to ask Rysu as he is the numbers guy, but it would not surprise me if it was at least the worst ever multiplier in Korea (at least for any film that made over say 700k admissions)

Eh I don't have that kind of obscure data but I'm sure there are several films out there that had a similar multiplier. What makes Shrek the third a rarity is that it opened so large and crashed so hard. Certainly nothing in the top 200 most attended films had such a multiplier (or at least I haven't seen any)

Assassination became the fastest Korean film of 2015 to cross 1 million admissions today at 8am (July 24th local time). Ratings are pretty decent on Naver with 9.10/10.0 audience rating and 8.90/10.0 netizen rating. I fully expect it to become the next 10M admission film but it's unlikely to challenge Roaring Currents in any way. Should be fun to track it against The Thieves though :)

Inside out was the only film in the top 10 box office to increase over yesterday. 3 million admissions is the target by the end of Sunday and it looks likely to happen.

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Assassination became the fastest Korean film of 2015 to cross 1 million admissions today at 8am (July 24th local time). Ratings are pretty decent on Naver with 9.10/10.0 audience rating and 8.90/10.0 netizen rating. I fully expect it to become the next 10M admission film but it's unlikely to challenge Roaring Currents in any way. Should be fun to track it against The Thieves though :)

Inside out was the only film in the top 10 box office to increase over yesterday. 3 million admissions is the target by the end of Sunday and it looks likely to happen.

*Is going to happen :D

• Like 1

It's leggy for films that get good word of mouth. The total is fine for an animated film it just looks terrible because of the height it fell from.

Expecting it to beat Frozen was unrealistic. I think 1M-1.2M admissions was the expected result pre-release considering the most attended pixar film to date is TS3 with 1,458,865 admissions. IO will do well to beat KFP in my opinion

My mistake, I meant beating the No. 2 holder, I forgot about Frozen's 10 million plus admissions! :P Edited by CelestialFairyIX

While I'm sure there are films that end up worse, Friday the 13th (2009) didn't even manage a 3.4 multiplier from its OD in the US. And it was... fairly big.

Prior to Frozen, the KFP films were the biggest animated features over there. Do you think KFP3 can get about that big next year?

It will open big no doubt but films are increasingly WoM driven in Korea and more so each passing year. A lot will depend on the kind of reception it receives. 

I still want to see it. I'm sure others would too. ;)

Here you go then 

cHuPBWO.jpg

*Click to englarge

At this stage of their run each had the following amount of admissions

Frozen: 4,362,405

KFP2: 3,578,564

KFP1: 2,711,736

Inside Out: 2,502,279

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 4

Here you go then 

cHuPBWO.jpg

*Click to englarge

At this stage of their run each had the following amount of admissions

Frozen: 4,362,405

KFP2: 3,578,564

KFP1: 2,711,736

Inside Out: 2,502,279

So the third week were holidays for frozen?

Edited by pepsa

I have never seen a more optimistic individual towards a film's run! Kudos to you!

Optimistic? 

First of all:

I have predicted it's run prety good over the last weeks :D

Second off all:

We are at 2.5M admission, that means 500k away from 3M. If it stays flat on friday, only increases 110% on sat and decreases 6% on suday it would still make it..

only there is no reason to believe it would dip that hard, because in SK new films open on wed, and thur. So i am not optimistic, i am realistic :D

But yeah maybe my 3.3M is optimistic but 3.2M is surely locked I think :) (afther this weekend btw)