diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

WWZ will cross 5M easily.

:wub: I hope WWZ can leg it out to 6M, that would be beyond incredible. This kinda feels like the run of IM3 where the projected total admissions keep going up cause the movie's holding so well  :)

Man, I hope Thor:TDW can break out in South Korea. I'm happy if it can just increase from the first and gross more than MOS, but definitely wishing for 3M+ admissions.

If you don't mind, could you give me an update on Secretly Greatly and MOS, Olive? Thank you  :D

Edited by Sam

almost 100% increases from friday.. wow..

Could WWZ hit 6 mill adm??

And do any here know what that would be in $ ??

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is right now, but by looking at the dollar gross - admissions correlation of other movies, if my math is right, then 6M admissions equate to about $43M total. 

:wub: I hope WWZ can leg it out to 6M, that would be beyond incredible. This kinda feels like the run of IM3 where the projected total admissions keep going up cause the movie's holding so well  :)

Man, I hope Thor:TDW can break out in South Korea. I'm happy if it can just increase from the first and gross more than MOS, but definitely wishing for 3M+ admissions.

If you don't mind, could you give me an update on Secretly Greatly and MOS, Olive? Thank you  :D

Secretly Greatly:6,855,560

MoS:2,174,542

I highlighted all but 3 of the films on the list, the rest are mostly complete crap. It's embarrassing that the TF3 and MI4 are the third and fourth most attendant Hollywood films in SK. Did they not have movie theaters in the 70s, 80s and 90s?

Well I am late to this party but here goes...

So firstly the specific references to TF3 and MI4. Well they are the 8th and the 41st biggest grossing OS movies of all time, so it does not seem to be a specific to Korea or even Asia problem that these movies did well.

With regards to the comment about 70s, 80s and 90's, were as we are talking numbers without inflation here I did a quick check of the top 100 OS movies and there are precisely 0 from the 70s, 1 from the 80s and 9 from the 90s.

Now to specifically talk about Korea:

Q) Why are 'crap movies' so popular (and let's for the sake of argument take crap to mean effect laden blockbusters.)

A) Well, Korea has a very strong domestic film industry. Arguably the most succesful per capita from a non-english speaking country. As an Asian you must be aware that Korean cinema's speciality is drama and story driven thrillers. Korean directors love to bend and twist genres and create films with complex twisting storylines.

What this means is that the Korean domesticmarket already covers drama, thriller aand comedy pretty well. They only things they don't really do are big mega budget explodey films, superheroes and animations. Now if we look again at that top 20... ahhh.

Q) I don't like that answer, try again.

A) People don't like having to read subtitles for deep thought provoking films in general. Ergo when watching in a foreign language, big bangs are more popular to watch.

Q) You forgot about that 70s, 80s, 90s jab.

A) Good point. Korean cinema and many other aspects of life were under strict dictatorship run censorship up until the late 80s (some argue even until now.) Korean cinema was very weak pre 1996 and the first ever film to break 2million attendence was in 1993 I believe.  

To try and protect the weak domestic product, a China-style quota system was introduced (its still in effect now but pretty weak) and so only about 20 Hollywood films or so a year were allowed to be shown and on limited screen numbers.

All this meant that there were very few cinemas anywhere, and nobody every really watched what was on anyway until the late 90s. Then censorship was eased and a film named Shiri came along that changed everything (and on the Hollywood side Titanic was timed perfectly too).

I don't know if that answers everything, (and my memory is fuzzy as its been a couple of years since I was studying this) but I believe that covers most of it.

tldr: Korea likes american stuff of course, but only when there is no comparable Korean alternative. And No they really didn't have many movie theatres in the 70s and 80s.

• Like 5