filmscholar

Box Office Chronicles: 2012 and the Tale of the Two T's (Tatum and Taylor)

Posted Image

HAYWIRE

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $18,942,396 60.8% + Foreign: $12,201,463 39.2% = Worldwide: $31,143,859

THE VOW

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $125,014,030 64.6% + Foreign: $68,604,075 35.4% = Worldwide: $193,618,105

21 JUMP STREET

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $138,447,667 70.0% + Foreign: $59,398,231 30.0% = Worldwide: $197,845,898

MAGIC MIKE

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $63,322,000

TOTAL BUDGET AND MARKETING: 200 MILLION

TOTAL WORLDWIDE GROSS: 500 +

Posted Image

JOHN CARTER

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $73,078,100 25.8% + Foreign: $209,700,000 74.2% = Worldwide: $282,778,100

BATTLESHIP

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $64,049,845 21.3% + Foreign: $236,650,220 78.7% = Worldwide: $300,700,065

SAVAGES

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $5,600,000

TOTAL BUDGETS AND MARKETING: 600 + MILLION

TOTAL WORLDWIDE GROSS: 600+ MILLION

2012 has been a very interesting year in Box Office. It's already on pace to make the most dollars ever (Though less tickets since the 90's). Well 2 of the biggest stories this year are from two up and coming actors who this year both got their stripes in different ways. Channing Tatum age 32, after modeling got his start acting in small supporting roles. He later transistioned to leading man and after 3 back to back hits and playing in 4 very different films since January (An Assassin, Romatic True Story Undercover Cop, Stripper) he's had a Box Office Year to remember. Though the 1st film, "Haywire" didn't light up the box office, it still did very well for it's budget. His next film "The Vow" gross near 200 Million Worldwide and over 100 Million Domestic.

He followed up a month later with "21 Jump St". Many behind the scene's thought the movie would bomb cause none of the main characters from the including Johnny Deep weren't staring it, also the movie took a more comedic tone were as the show was very serious. It also did close 200 Million and over 100 Million Domestic. Now He's blazing the summer as the fantasy of many women in his Stripper film "Magic Mike" which is on pace to break 100 Million. That's 3 straight 100 Million dollar film. Let's not forget he was also suppose to reprise his role in G.I. Joe before it was moved to next year. Overall this has been one of the best years for an actor in Box Office History. If he keeps it up he will end up having a pretty long career.

Taylor Kitsch age 31, Like Tanning he also got his start modeling but he went to TV 1st instead of film. He had some supporting roles and was even in the Blockbuster "X-Men Origins" when he got the call he would headline 3 movies in 2012. 2 of them would be Big Budget Action Sci-Fi Films and the other would an arthouse Action Drug Film in the vien of "Scarface" with Oliver Stone. Sounds like he was shaping up for a great year. Sadly it didn't got that way as the 1st film "John Carter" lost Disney Big money and people lost jobs. In the Wake of The Avengers, His Summer blockbuster "Battleship" was sunk. This weekend "Savages" opened to a good total for it's budget and type of film but it didn't exactly set the box office on fire.

The thing that accents Channing success is his films budgets and production cost are really low and he has maxized his profits. Where as Taylor has simple just broken even. I think both will end up having pretty good careers. It's not over for Taylor, he just had a bad year and Channing better not get cocky cause he can have a bad year also. Overall I think it's interesting seeing how the Box Office Gods choose Tatum over Taylor in 2012. With that said, Taylor has won the worldwide Battle over Channing. As this weekend box office numbers come in, "Magic Mike" in it's 2nd week will top Taylor new opening film "Savages" which had a 45 Million Dollar Budget to Tatum 7 Million. It's amazing between the two have generated 1 Billion Worldwide this year at the box office. So outside of budget, why did Tatum movies do better than Taylor's?

Edited by filmscholar

By the time The Vow, 21 Jump Street and MM rolled, Tatum was already recognizable name with some opening power so those three movies were sold on his name and he was expected to draw crowds, which he did.Taylor, OTOH, was widely unknown save to FNL fans so he was a non-factor as a draw in JC. That one was a brand name with built-in fandom and regardless who played JC the result would have bene the same cause Disney screwed up royally.Also, I`d say that Rihanna was a bigger name and supposed to be a bigger draw for Battleship than Taylor who was expected to break out with JC but didn`t. ASkaars was also bigger name with bigger fandom than he was.

These to actors are not comparable at all.Taylor Kitsch has a great agent though. Got him the lead in some big budget films with only tv experience on his resume.That was a huge risk to the studios that haven't panned out. Channing Tatum has been on the slow grind building up a fanbase in films over several years. He has a solid foundation.Not sure why there's a comparison here.

• Like 1

These to actors are not comparable at all.Taylor Kitsch has a great agent though. Got him the lead in some big budget films with only tv experience on his resume.That was a huge risk to the studios that haven't panned out.

Borelando Bloom 2. Absolutely the same situation except that Borelando`s agent was smarter and let him ride bigger star`s coattails before sinking his career with 2 big bombs in one year.

Channing Tatum has been on the slow grind building up a fanbase in films over several years. He has a solid foundation.

This is how careers should be managed. Build fanbase, don`t carry a huge movie before establishing some credit, don`t get pidgeonholed in only one genre, mix up commercial with artistic.

Fun Fact Channing Tatum and Chris Hemsworth have the same Agent. That Mofo Must be Loaded. Maybe Taylor Kitsch should contact him.Kitsch is just having a bad year. A-list actors have their flops. Brad, clooney etc. Ims ure he could bounce back.

Edited by Dragon

Fun Fact Channing Tatum and Chris Hemsworth have the same Agent. That Mofo Must be Loaded. Maybe Taylor Kitsch should contact him.Kitsch is just having a bad year. A-list actors have their flops. Brad, clooney etc. Ims ure he could bounce back.

bounce back? He has nothing really to bounce back from. He has to be in a hit movie first.He's a good looking guy. He will continue to be in movies. At some point he'll find his niche. Like I said in another thread. He'll be around just like Colin Farrell.

I called Kitsch Borelando 2 but that`s unfair cause FNL proved Kitch can act unlike Borlando who really can`t. So he may bounce back from flops unlike Erroll Flop.

Orlando Bloom has to be one of the most forgettable actors I've ever seen.

And the point of this thread is...?

I was just analyzing the fact that these young stars just pulled in 1 Billion at the Box Office in the first 6 months of 2012 and I thought they both went on interesting path's this year. Also the media will call "Savages" a flop but it's not a flop at all. "Magic Mike" is having horrible legs but with it's 7 Million budget it's already in the green. Also to the point about Channing, Yes he built of a fanbase over the last 7 years and have done way more movies than Taylor but it's not like Channing films were breaking the box office wide open. Most of his films flopped or underperformed. He's just now really seeing the success. I think Taylor can make a comeback and find himself in the same place but he has to pick the right roles like Channing has.

Fun Fact Channing Tatum and Chris Hemsworth have the same Agent. That Mofo Must be Loaded. Maybe Taylor Kitsch should contact him.

Kitsch is just having a bad year. A-list actors have their flops. Brad, clooney etc. Ims ure he could bounce back.

?!

What would his year had to be in order to get a "really bad year" from you, then?

He's like a wet firework.

meh!!

Next!

I was just analyzing the fact that these young stars just pulled in 1 Billion at the Box Office in the first 6 months of 2012 and I thought they both went on interesting path's this year. Also the media will call "Savages" a flop but it's not a flop at all. "Magic Mike" is having horrible legs but with it's 7 Million budget it's already in the green. Also to the point about Channing, Yes he built of a fanbase over the last 7 years and have done way more movies than Taylor but it's not like Channing films were breaking the box office wide open. Most of his films flopped or underperformed. He's just now really seeing the success. I think Taylor can make a comeback and find himself in the same place but he has to pick the right roles like Channing has.

You shut your mouth on MM. This movie no one thought would reach 72 Mil. Edited by Dragon

"Most of his films flopped or underperformed."

Actually that's wrong. I don't think he's had that many where he's topped billed. I think it's about even. GI Joe underperformed/flopped, The Eagle, and maybe another one. But that's balanced out with films like She's the Man, Step Up, and Coach Carter and Dear John.

It's hard to blame the failures of John Carter and Battleship on Taylor Kitsch. Neither movie was sold as a vehicle for him, and neither movie had an ad campaign that came even remotely close to being effective. Then we have Savages, which is performing decently, but was never intended to be a star vehicle for him.It doesn't seem completely reasonable to compare him with Channing Tatum because Tatum had several years and several movies that did well before starring in three $100 million hits this year. Tatum has a following that has built over the last few years, while Kitsch is just getting started on the big screen.