baumer

Superman Returns

45 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Every time I watch it I like it more and more.

Superman Returns > Man of Steel

B (85)

Same here its a pity Singer didnt read the comics and add a Darkseid or Mongul someone for Superman to have to go all out to defeat, going again  with the same Lex Luthor only real estate scam was one of the biggest kos to my hopes for it to beat Pirates 2 Jay.. Great great movie despite it dropping the ball in the wow factor.

B+(8.2 out of 10)

" Even though you have been raised as a human being"." You are not one of them."" They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be" "They only lack the light to show the way."" For this reason above all, their capacity for good! " I have sent them you, my only son."

• Like 1

:rofl:clearly you don't know what you're sayingonly the soundtrack makes SR thousand times better than SIV

AMen and High Five Goffe.. I mean comparing SR to Superman 4 is ludcrious..

I also think he didnt get the physics right for the effects and the flying visuals in some shots look so CGI, I was thinking what the hell is  Singer thinking using and inconsistent VFX company. I mean how you go from that awesome Plane moment to weaker visuals shots in too many scenes in your movie. SFX should always be on scale and of the same caliber throughout the film.

MOS definitely got the visuals parts right, they just needed more deeper characterization and then its perfection.

MOS still  got enough right and gave us that twister ending that I gave it a 9.3 out of 10 :)

The plane scene is far better constructed in every single way then any action scene in Man of Steel.

I love the feel and look of this movie overall, its just a tad to self indulegent and lacks one more solid action set piece, but damn there are so many great moments. 

I wish Singer got to make his sequel. I would have loved a Superman trilogy. 

• Like 3

Superman Returns is one of the most well-made love letters to a director/film series ever. It's a solid enough movie that is helped a lot by Spacey and Routh.

That said it is really boring and a being such a homage to previous films it can't really get out of Donner's films shadow. I give it a C+ which is a bit higher than I'd give MoS. Both films have problems just on completely different ends of the spectrum. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks the action in this blows MOS away? Superman getting power from the sun than blasting down into the earth with his laser vision. Can I get a fuck yeah Superman! 

The Plane scene is film school lesson action scene. My heart beats out of my chest every time. I also think Singer is the king of Tone when it comes to superhero movies. Superman Returns is funnier than any marvel movie with out ever having a comedy scene that doesn't move the plot forward.

The way they poke fun at the characters for not noticing Clark is Superman is genius. Why can't Clark be Superman? Because he's Clark thats why!  

Singer also shoots every single scene like its the first time you are seeing Superman he unveils him every time extremely cinematically . Just good filmmaking. 

That train set? Its destruction is oddly terrifying and thrilling and is a good wink at the 3rd act to come. Superman does't throw a punch? ok, but HE SAVES TONS OF PEOPLE like Superman should. 

Plus that opening music and Kryptons destruction, makes me feel like a child again. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1