baumer

Superman Returns

45 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I just consider this movie an homage to the original film and almost a complete remake. Brandon Routh is ok doing a complete impression of Christopher Reeve, and Kevin Spacy is fine as Lex Luthor, but after that, there isn't much else. Basically using the same exact storyline from the first film, the movie just felt generic since there wasn't anything that stood out.

Yes, I wasn't crazy about the kid idea either, but even without that, the film just didn't have much going for it.

C

A mild disappointment.Watching Superman and Superman II on the weekend, the first time in quite some time, I could finally see how the special effects were accomplished. Superman flew against blue screen to make it look like he was flying over the water and through the air and so on. Fire coming towards him was nothing more than an optical illusion and so on. But in 1978, these were ground breaking effects and people marveled at the wizardry displayed in the film. But the special effects never seemed to take away from the story. Superman II is a better film in my opinion because there was more action, more human relationships and a lot more actual physical confrontations/fights. That's not to say that Superman the movie isn't a great film, it is. But the second showed us every side to Superman. His angry side, his vengeful side, his soft side and his human side. The whole film was simply kick-ass. And part of that equation was the casting and the interpretation of the characters. If there is on complaint that is omnipotent in this film, it's that the characters do not resemble the characters we remember. Ironically, the actor that had the most heat on him before the film began, has the best performance in the film. Brandon Routh embodies the spirit of Superman but needs a better script to showcase his talents. It's the rest of the cast that seems to sleepwalk their way through the film.This is a lackluster beginning to what will probably be a franchise that produces more sequels. The film is is all but guaranteed to make its production budget back WW and with video (350 mill reportedly) so there will be sequels. This debut is average at best. And the problems begin with casting, and perhaps the direction by Singer. I remember Lois Lane as a manic personality and a go getter and someone who resembled a woman on Ecstacy. She was enthusiastic, and energetic but feminine all rolled into one. Kate Bosworth plays her like a woman scorned. She is a bitter, angry and acerbic woman that in all of 5 years has gone from someone who was rescued by Superman countless times and someone who revered him to someone who literally sneers his name when speaking it. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Superman erase her memory at the end of the second one? How would she even remember her feelings for him? Because these feelings are clearly more than the crush that she felt before she got to hang with him. This is a deep seeded love that someone remembers. It just doesn't fit.Then there is the problem with the story. So let's see if we can get this straight. Superman disappears for five years and then Lex goes to jail for five years but gets out long enough to meet and marry and pleasure a dying old woman to then steal her fortune so that he can then go back to Superman's fortress and steal the secrets he needs to take over the world. RIGHT! And another thing that just doesn't make any sense, and I'm not trying to nitpick here, but seriously folks, how can people not put this together? Is it really that hard to figure out that Clark and Superman returned at the same time? I mean, isn't that a little coincidental. They even make jokes about it in the movie, like they are aware of the joke but stay the course anyway. And you're talking about reporters here. People who uncover the truth for a living. And they can't piece together the physical similarities of their look and their physique and the auspicious timing of both of their returns? I know this is a movie, but please! When watching the film, it occurs to you that there was so much that could have been done differently. The reason for his disappearance is lame. The plot by Lex to take over the world is terrible and Superman getting debilitated by Kryptonite is just lazy. He knows he has one weakness...one and yet he chooses to ignore the fact that with Lex returning, so should the possibility of Kryptonite. Once we see Superman down on his back getting the Super-crap beat out of him, it just becomes too much. The movie is lazy, and that is what brings it down. There was also a terribly elementary attempt to introduce his super-son. Once we find out that he can throw a piano, is it really too much to ask to have him break the door down? The film is supposed to be a bridge between the second and the present. But there are too many plot holes to accomplish that simple task. And that takes away the credibility of the movie. And if you just don't believe what you are being fed, then there isn't much point to the film. Not all is bad. I have to admit that at the beginning when John Williams iconic theme blasts over the speakers, I got chills. And the airplane rescue scene is actually breathtaking, especially when it lands on a baseball diamond. Also fun is one brief line when you hear that Superman has been spotted all over the world, including Gotham City. This is a great prelude to possible encounters with Batman later on.I didn't hate Superman Returns. I just didn't like it all that much. I did laugh and want to cheer in some parts, but more times than not, I wanted it to end. And with some closure too. This film just goes on and on and on like Return of the King did before it finally just ends.Superman tells Lois, "I'm always around." And that may be true, but if they don't fix the second one, he may not be around for much longer.6/10 So much more could have been done with the film.

Before watching SR for the first time, I watched Superman I and II. That was a a bad idea because SR tries to act as a sequel to Superman II and yet is a remake of the original Superman at the same time. The entire movie is a mess, and it is hard to believe that the world has evolved so much since Superman left in the early 80's to return to a world that is clearly the 2000's and yet none of the characters have aged, and well, this movie is just a mess.Honestly, the film makes no sense, and in 2006 when this came out, Superman's origin and other aspects about him had been changed in the comics to fit our more modern world. This movie is more of an homage to the Golden Age Superman and fails at bringing Superman to the audience of today's world.The teaser trailer was amazing and made me want to believe this film was good. I even bought it on DVD and probably watched it 3 or 4 times. Each time I watched it, I knew the movie sucked, but I wanted to believe that I would end up with the movie the teaser promised, and so I ended up lying to myself and telling myself the movie was better than it was.Superman is my favorite superhero, but this is probably my least favorite super hero movie. I rank SR even worse than B&R.F

Edited by CloneWars

this movie was not good for many reasons 

1)  Kate Bosworth was also too young to play Lois, at the time this was being filmed she was 22 and we're supposed to believe she's an accomplished, Pulitzer prize winning journalist? Part should've gone to Parker Posey who was age appropriate, had the look and the wit to play Lois, she even auditioned for the part. Brandon Routh had the potential to be a good Superman but he was trying to be too much like Christopher Reeve, he was also too young if Singer wanted to make a tribute to the Donner films and wanted to set it on contemporary Earth he should've cast somebody older like Jim Cavizel

2) The decision to retcon the events of Superman III and IV and make a direct sequel to Superman II. Sorry but this wasn't a good idea at all, you can't expect me to believe it's a sequel when Superman II was set in the early 80's and this is obviously set in 2006( no matter how much Singer tried to give somethings a late 70's early 80's look to it). What should have happened was having it be a reboot and ditching the Donner continuity. 

3) Weak story. So he comes back to Earth after a couple of years, tries to get adjusted to the modern world and attempts to get back with Lois. Later, after too many scenes trying to be like the second coming of Jesus and being the hope everybody wants and trying to get back with his chick Lex Luthor comes in with a horrendously lame plot to take over the world that leads to more Jesus-like scenery and imagery and at the end of it all we discover he has a Son who he will now  try to raise  as time goes on. Waste of potential, they had so many years worth of stories to choose from and they picked one of the most cliched and unoriginal trite for a much anticipated film. Speaking of... 

4) The idea of Superman having a son with Lois was a stupid idea and horribly contrived. 

5) Bad use of Kevin Spacey. Spacey is a brilliant actor who could've done Lex justice instead Singer kept him as the same goofball from the Donner films, lame. If you've seen Se7en and The Usual Suspects you'd know how intense Spacey can get. 

6) Most of all, it's BORING. Barely anything exciting happens and it's too long, and when you get to the action there's barely any to speak of. 

Hope the reboot's better, next week this movie is likely to be forgotten about even more than it already is by the general public. 

May not be the action-packed Superman movie that everyone hoped for,  but still is a great movie.

It's extremely well-acted, visually and emotionally beautiful, fantastic score and good CGI. Some sequences/scenes are perfection.

9/10 A- 

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1