CJohn

Frozen OS thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY_cIIyPZuw

Let It Go by K-pop group SISTAR

I think that the best non-english version of Let it go is the latin/spanish "Libre Soy"  by Martina Stoessel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4tGddRblok

She also played an Italian version: in Italy (my country) Stoessel is widely know as Disney's TV teenage girl star  "Violetta". Unfortunately my country's version is mistranslated and lost much of its original meaning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU4HOvKHfZA

Apparently kids&family animated movie doraemon opened to #1 in Japan on saturday, the biggest OD since december. Potential overlap of target demography means it could hurt frozen.

Edited by Rsyu

Apparently kids&family animated movie doraemon opened to #1 in Japan on saturday, the biggest OD since december. Potential overlap of target demography means it could hurt frozen.

I'm not sure but I think "doreamon" is a franchise that is released every year at this time, also I do not know that numbers it do.

Maybe for a week or two, but I have faith that Frozen will show excellent legs once again and get to a solid final tally.

Yeah, it's released every year in March. Apparently since 1980.

In other words, it's working with a fixed potential audience. The big Doraemon fans would have seen it no matter what, and the moderate fans are seeing it because they've heard this one's good.  It's not actually competing for audience share, so is unlikely to have a big effect on anything else.

Doraemon films usually average around $20-30m but has been known to gross higher (up to $86m) I agree frozen's legs should see it do well but I was secretly hoping frozen would get zero direct competitors and do miyazaki numbers.

Doraemon films usually average around $20-30m but has been known to gross higher (up to $86m)I agree frozen's legs should see it do well but I was secretly hoping frozen would get zero direct competitors and do miyazaki numbers.

Competition really isn't important in Japan, since legs are much more important anyway. Monsters University dropped 13% when Miyazaki's film opened which was one of its best drops.

In other words, it's working with a fixed potential audience. The big Doraemon fans would have seen it no matter what, and the moderate fans are seeing it because they've heard this one's good.  It's not actually competing for audience share, so is unlikely to have a big effect on anything else.

Competition really isn't important in Japan, since legs are much more important anyway. Monsters University dropped 13% when Miyazaki's film opened which was one of its best drops.

This. It applies even more on films with a fixed audience, like Doraemon.

Doraemon films usually average around $20-30m but has been known to gross higher (up to $86m)I agree frozen's legs should see it do well but I was secretly hoping frozen would get zero direct competitors and do miyazaki numbers.

Where did you get $86m? The highest grossing (and most attended) Doraemon film was last year's with $43.2m. Also, Frozen won't do Miyazaki numbers (but I can see The Wind Rises as the ceiling). Even if it does, it will do it not because of zero competition. Due to how leggy Japanese market is, Movies that make Miyazaki numbers will do it in a span of several months. During that time, there will be competitions no matter what.

Edited by catlover

Where did you get $86m? The highest grossing (and most attended) Doraemon film was last year's with $43.2m. Also, Frozen won't do Miyazaki numbers (but I can see The Wind Rises as the ceiling). Even if it does, it will do it not because of zero competition. Due to how leggy Japanese market is, Movies that make Miyazaki numbers will do it in a span of several months. During that time, there will be competitions no matter what.

Unless wiki is lying this one did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doraemon:_Nobita%27s_Great_Battle_of_the_Mermaid_King

Ok It's actually $83m I must have mistyped it.

I guess we'll see how well frozen does. everything is speculation at this point. 

Edited by Rsyu

Frozen moves up to 4th in SK Box office on sunday after falling to 7th earlier in the week :D

admissions: 43,925 -46% from LW

it's still putting in better performances than most new releases on weekends.

• Like 1

Just checked mojo and you're right. that's the last time I use wiki for BO numbers  :D

On wiki, the box office numbers are usually worldwide. But I doubt Doraemon made $80m WW, so yeah, if you have sources other than wiki for box office, use those other sources. :P

Seems about right. On the side, I'm a gaming journalist, and the industry revolves around Japan, so I'm familiar enough with the culture there to know that poster isn't out of the ordinary.

Edited by Ray