CJohn

Frozen OS thread

A very strong opening, Frozen surpassed the (reasonable) expectations again! [by 20% or so xD]

It needs close to 100M to overtake Transformers' 1.123B gross, or a multiplier between 12x and 13x. Doable, but not easy at all.

Not my expectationsI won't be surprised

8% estimated rise on Sunday. Below MU's 12%. Surprised? :P

A very strong opening, Frozen surpassed the (reasonable) expectations again! [by 20% or so xD]It needs close to 100M to overtake Transformers' 1.123B gross, or a multiplier between 12x and 13x. Doable, but not easy at all. 8% estimated rise on Sunday. Below MU's 12%. Surprised? :P

The only surprise was discounting a 4 month anticipation on opening day. Burned demand and lowered weekend and 3 day gross.Its a good opening weekend. What % hold does the pessimist say for next weekend? That's the important number.

Well we have 3 people now at 7-8m or more.Can't wait to hear what omni has to say.I think it does 8m during tge week too. 26m total next sunday.

I think it will stay flat. If its OW turns out to be $7.5m, then it will make $7.5m too this weekend. Weekdays would be good too. There are some sold out shows at Toho Shibuya today (Monday).

Anyone know why frozen got such a crap release date in Japan? I mean what stopped them from releasing it in december? The performance would have been much better if they had.

Not a crap release date at all. The LOTR movies were all released in March and they were huge. The first Narnia movie was released in March and it made almost 7b yen. There are spring breaks in March so it's actually a pretty good release date for family movies. Besides, Disney thanksgiving movies are always released in March (Enchanted, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph). So it's not surprising at all that Frozen is released in the same month too. And I'm pretty sure Big Hero 6 will get the same release date.

Edited by catlover

Anyone know why frozen got such a crap release date in Japan? I mean what stopped them from releasing it in december? The performance would have been much better if they had.

It's not just Frozen but most of Hollywood films,always the last country to have them..

I believe studios prefer to release their movies in Japan so late so it can make more money. Japanese people rarely go to movie theaters, so late a release helps build up hype for the movie when it comes on in Japan. After hearing about a movie for months, they would be more likely to check it out.

Also if it had been released early, Frozen wouldn't have the advantage of its the Oscars wins and a billion WW accomplishment to help attract a bigger audience there.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

I believe studios prefer to release their movies in Japan so late so it can make more money. Japanese people rarely go to movie theaters, so late a release helps build up hype for the movie when it comes on in Japan. After hearing about a movie for months, they would be more likely to check it out.

Also if it had been released early, Frozen wouldn't have the advantage of its the Oscars wins and a billion WW accomplishment to help attract a bigger audience there.

Yeah, if Frozen had been released in December, it could have had better legs, but the OW would have definitely been lower.

LOTR probably has a different demo to disney princess films, I'm thinking it skews much older which means holiday effect will be much less important. Narnia was an adaption of a very well known and popular book. Frozen is an original animated film albeit with huge global WoM, but original animation nonetheless, which probably means it would have performed much better in december. Not saying it did bad mind you, because it's the highest grossing OW for an animated film outside of ghibli/pixar/franchise but just think dec would have been the better month for a release. The highest grossing pixar films MU, FN, TS3 were released in july/dec too.According to corpse, july/dec has the best multipliers in the year.

Edited by Rsyu

According to Corpse, this is not a bad release date at all. On the contrary, it may be the best option available: late opening to let the buzz and hype rise, and two holidays coming within 45 days.

What % hold does the pessimist say for next weekend? That's the important number.

WIR increased by 4% and Doreamon by 7% last year on the same weekend, thanks to the holiday. So my prediction is 7.5/8.0M. Anything under 7 would be disappointing and probably a sign of frontloadness. Sub-7.5 would give me a 'meh', too. 'Awesome Land' is above 8.5M.

According to Corpse, this is not a bad release date at all. On the contrary, it may be the best option available: late opening to let the buzz and hype rise, and two holidays coming within 45 days. WIR increased by 4% and Doreamon by 7% last year on the same weekend, thanks to the holiday. So my prediction is 7.5/8.0M. Anything under 7 would be disappointing and probably a sign of frontloadness. Sub-7.5 would give me a 'meh', too. 'Awesome Land' is above 8.5M.

I know about golden week but it's at the end of april. What/'s the second holiday?

WIR increased by 4% and Doreamon by 7% last year on the same weekend, thanks to the holiday. So my prediction is 7.5/8.0M. Anything under 7 would be disappointing and probably a sign of frontloadness. Sub-7.5 would give me a 'meh', too. 'Awesome Land' is above 8.5M.

Ah yes, I forgot it's 3-day holiday this weekend. Frozen will probably increase. So yeah around $8m.