Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Seeing the same problem as yesterday.For the reserved seating shows pre sales are huge but walk ups are small...Usually these showings fill up mostly through pre sales and then get full and sold out by walk ups.

Maybe $3m stronger.

The apparent poor walkup business says otherwise. And you could argue that it was just the lack of the Joker/Heath Ledger, but in all honesty, the shooting is the much more likely culprit.

Won't the THG fans shout at you: "Catching Fire!" "Mockingjaypart1!" "Mockingjaypart2"!(héhé)

As much as I love THG, even I'm going to say that it's highly unlikely they break any OW record.

no in Canada Cineplex theaters owns the market so you can just check out the local theaters around you and get a good idea whats going on.Canada does not operate in sync with America always.For example, TA increase more around 20% from Friday non midnights around here on Saturday.Canada is a less front loaded marketing.Even here in Canada, I expect TDKR to stay at least flat from Saturday and likley increase a bit.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Won't the THG fans shout at you: "Catching Fire!" "Mockingjaypart1!" "Mockingjaypart2"!(héhé)

I'm afraid that is bound to happen. :)With TDKR, sub-175M predicts were considered stupid, even if I am a big Batman fan (this was the best trilogy ever IMO, better than TS, SW or LOTR).With THG, I have already been labelled as a hater, though I am actually indifferent to it.... only franchises I hate are Twilight and Chipmunks.But I will say the same thing I said with TDKR, 200M is not gonna happen without 3D.

Seeing the same problem as yesterday.For the reserved seating shows pre sales are huge but walk ups are small...Usually these showings fill up mostly through pre sales and then get full and sold out by walk ups.

If you had to guess..... what would the Saturday number be?

When TA opened opening weekend prediction were all around TDK adjusted or 180 million."They were loonies (and there weren't actually that many of them). But beating its OW attendence was in play."Yeah I still say it getting to 200 million because it appeared opening day was going to massive.Then with the Midnights I knew it was over.

I agree. 77M? Still a good number, but not quite the number it could have done, if this incident didn't occur. From all the tweets and people who I know, most didn't want to go on OD.

These are extremely minor variables next to both the shooting and everything this movie had in its favor. Reviews are slightly worse but still great, and the huge goodwill from TDK should have made selling more tickets in the opening weekend a cake walk.

What is "minor" when we are talking about 200m OW? 5m? 10m? 15m? 200m is a lot of people....and there are a percentage of those people who read reviews to decide whether or not to spend $100 to take their family to a movie. Seeing, "Good but not as good as TDK" is going to have a negative effect on those customers. If it was so minor RT wouldn't be as big a deal as it is. I know the Batman fanboy nation was certainly pouncing on every negative review....there is a reason for that.

Why is Leger's death "minor" but these deaths "major"? And how do we know this won't ADD to the BO for TDKR? It's free publicity after all (no such thing as bad publicity). It could have the same effect as the Ledger death for all we know.

There always are assumptions about what any given movie is "expected to do" or "supposed to do"....but how often are those assumptions and expectations wrong? That's why the "disappointing" word is thrown around so much when various movies make a ton of money....but not as much as "expected". We tend to use examples of other movies and "expect" every movie to act the same way. We....don't know as much about what a movie is "supposed to do" as we think frankly.

Wow, the 6am showing here is sold out! I found that surprising because yesterday's showing at the same time had like only 10 people.

Nice to see people see the movie regardless of what happened.

I see no reason to believe very many people will decide to not go to the movies because of this. The media will play it up...because that's what the media does for a living. If they find one person who says they are staying home, they'll put that person on TV. Will they put the people on TV who are going to see TDKR out of morbid curiosity who weren't planning to go before? "Let's see that Batman movie they've been talking about on the news"
  • Like 1

The apparent poor walkup business says otherwise.

I haven't read anything about poor walkup business with the exception of Lordmandeep and no offense but who knows if he reads the data correctly and he's not even in the USA.