Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

I just see that this is clearly having an affect now, and Sunday is the most depressed day of the weekend normally anyways, so it just makes sense that this weekend it would be even more so.

Frankly, I didn't think TDKR was anywhere near as awesome as TA. It's opening is in line with what these giant movies do (HP, THG, TWILIGHT, etc). I'm not sure it's entirely fair that since TA opened to 207, obliterating records, that we get to assume another movie should have/would have. TA had a type of WOM I've never heard of before except maybe TDK. I knew people that weren't even planning on seeing TA and after the first weekend, they ended up seeing it, and then seeing it twice. If TA hadn't recieved the WOM it did, it probably would have opened close to TDKR. Remember, TA estimates on Friday were much smaller, and they kept going UP and UP as the weekend progressed.

I'm a bat loonie and I will readily admit that the movie wasnt going to break the OW record. The midnight number already gave us an indicator that the colossal numbers we predicted just weren't going to happen. The absence of 3-D and the films general darkness (which would generally prevent a lot of family viewers) were always going to be a factor at play.That being said, the shootings DID have an effect on it. It might not be as much as some suggest as the individuals who really,really want to see it would have gone to see it regardless (pretty much everyone I know that wanted to see it have already seen it). How much it took from the movie we will never know but the shootings definitely played a role in killing the excitement for the movie.

I'm very surprised at the rating on Imdb of 9.2, I thought it would be much lower and im usually a good judge about where most films will land. I think it should finish closer to 8.6-8.7 as right now there will be a lot of fanboy votes.

Edited by eXtacy

It's automatic here that bags should be inspected every time we enter a mall and the cinemas inside it. However sometimes the inspection becomes a "I'll stare at it then you can enter" kind of thing, so I always open my bag for the guard to inspect it properly.

Got it, I thought you were in the US. That's understandable.

Even TDK had a bigger Saturday, that's a horrible drop. I saw some people on twitter saying they didn't want to see TDK anymore this weekend and also teenagers complaining that their parents wouldn't let them go to the movies lol

I'm guessing the TDKR had no chance of breaking records before the tragic incident...maybe in would have done mid 180s tops...anyways the movie delivers,...should have legs...best Hollywood movie of summer

The problem here is that you are guessing. The facts are that this shooting hurt the boxoffice big time. TDKR would have made over 200m easily.

Even TDK had a bigger Saturday, that's a horrible drop. I saw some people on twitter saying they didn't want to see TDK anymore this weekend and also teenagers complaining that their parents wouldn't let them go to the movies lol

That teen thing is concerning, wonder when people will start to turn out normally? Hopefully before next weekend.

Mostly flat minus Midnights. I think this was about as good as could have been expected really.

Holy shit what if wrong with Americans? Get over the tradegy go to the cinema. If people act like this then why do you guys a still travel by air or leave your homes if your so afraid.In Australia at my second showing at the start of the movie someone stood up and yelled lock the exits, the only place that should have been affected was that town to think people on the.other side of the country are scared is laughable

Holy shit what if wrong with Americans? Get over the tradegy go to the cinema. If people act like this then why do you guys a still travel by air or leave your homes if your so afraid.

To be fair air travel was down for about a year after 9/11. It's a similar effect here.
  • Like 1