MagnetMan

Favorite 80s films... for the old-timers

There's a handful of posters I've noticed that fall in my age bracket. (Late 30s/early 40s). For us Children of the 70s, we grew up in a wonderful time of the advent and mass market availability of VHS. There weren't 2000 channels on cable, no Video On Demand, no internet. If you weren't outside playing, you were pretty much inside watching a video cassette.I can't possibly convey the sheer number of hours my bother and I spent holed up in the den with the window unit air conditioner running, cooling our sun-burned backs on the icy Naugahyde sofa cushions, flipping through old issues of Fangoria magazine, pouring sleeves of dry-roasted peanuts into 8 oz. Coca-Cola bottles made of green glass.Most young people think of John Hughes movies as THE movies of the 80s, and for the most part, they're right. But here are some other titles that had high rotation on the old Curtis Mathes VCR that sat on top of the console television set.The Pirate Movie (Kristy McNichol and Christopher Atkins)Zapped! (Scott Baio)Secret Admirer (C. Thomas Howell)The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th DimensionDr. Detroit (Dan Ackroyd)Bachelor Party (Tom Hanks)Making the Grade (Judd Nelson - and also the source of my signature)National Lampoon's Vacation (Even though Dad had practiced a little video editing when he made the copy of that one. In our PG version, Clark didn't have his profanity-laced tirade in the car. To this day, I can pretty much quote that movie verbatim... but I get a little fuzzy on that scene. It was like a precursor to a deleted scene for me.)Mom didn't know we had a copy of Porky's so it didn't get too much play. Also my brother and I didn't really watch that one together. It was pretty much reserved for when one of us had the house all to ourself.So, all you old-timers. Break out your bifocals and hunt-and-peck out your favorites from that time of life when $8 would fill the gas tank and you had to run outside and twist the aerial antenna to pick up that one UHF station.

• Like 3

Love some of the titles you mention MM.Here are some others that you may have heard of:Porky'sMischiefThe Wild LifeFasttimes at Ridgemont HighSummer SchoolStripesAnd a plethora of horror films.

• Like 3

Love some of the titles you mention MM.

Here are some others that you may have heard of:

Porky's

Mischief

The Wild Life

Fasttimes at Ridgemont High

Summer School

Stripes

And a plethora of horror films.

Everyone of those were on the shelf of VHS dubs. And "Mischief"? I swear to god, I cannot see Kelly Preston or hear that song "Everyday" by Buddy Holly without getting......... aroused.
  • Like 1

Kelly Preston was a prime time hottie in the 80's. I'm shocked anyone else has even heard of Secret Admirer let alone seen it. Although she was good in SA, the highlight of that movie was Fred Ward as Lieutenant Lou Fimple. C. Thomas Howell after dropping off his daughter and Fimple just got into an accident:"Good evening LTN Fimple, how are you sir?"Fimple has an unbuttoned shirt, and looks at Michael with a look that could melt steel, "Fuck-you." :rofl:

The most amazing thing about Fred Ward in that movie was his ability to get that vein in his temple to throb so profoundly that you could see it in the horrible resolution of VHS and standard res TV. I used to try to find if it was a latex appliance with some inflatable bladder beneath it.I think it was in the scene where he finds the letter he thinks Cliff DeYoung wrote to Ward's smoking/smoking/smoking hot wife.

Edited by MagnetMan
  • Like 1

The most amazing thing about Fred Ward in that movie was his ability to get that vein in his temple to throb so profoundly that you could see it in the horrible resolution of VHS and standard res TV. I used to try to find if it was a latex appliance with some inflatable bladder beneath it.I think it was in the scene where he finds the letter he thinks Cliff DeYoung wrote to Ward's smoking/smoking/smoking hot wife.

YES!!! HAHAHAHAH,,,that's the scene. And yes, she was smokin hot.

More Later - but The Sure Thing! Haven't seen it in years so not sure if it is dated, but it had so many classic funny scenes!

Yep. Most of John Cusack's 80s flicks are great. I really loved "Hot Pursuit", of course "Better Off Dead". "One Hot Summer" was decent but I just didn't like Demi Moore in it.

Edit: Not looking it up, but I think it was "One Crazy Summer" now that I think about it.

Edited by MagnetMan
  • Like 2

Ah the eighties . My childhood . The dream of owning a VHS player . My parents buying one ....sniff sniff....Anyway some of my favourite movies from the eighties in no particular order...Carpenter's the thing, Aliens, Nightmare on elm street, Commando , First Blood , Conan The Barbarian ,The Untouchables, Body double....the list goes on and on.

• Like 2

Definitely "The Thing". Pretty much everything during Carpenter's astounding run during that time. The Fog, Halloween, Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from NY.I also recall many lesser known titles. Like "The Wraith" with Charlie Sheen. There was a Canadian comedy called "Breaking All the Rules" that I absolutely loved. The main male actor always reminded me of Tim Matheson. "Just One of the Guys" was also a favorite of mine.

Edited by MagnetMan
  • Like 1

More Later - but The Sure Thing! Haven't seen it in years so not sure if it is dated, but it had so many classic funny scenes!

How could I forget that one? One of my faves. "I've never met anyone like you before, usually when I meet someone new I feel awkward and shy, but with you its different. You know what I'm thnking without me having to put it any fancy terms....we speak each other's unspoken language....fluently....I love you."

"Oh Jimbo, that is the most enormous pile of horseshit ever!"

My favourite part of Better off Dead is when Stalin tells Booger (forget his name in the movie) that maybe he should shave before he kisses her good night. And then Booger can't stop laughing and even cuts in on Stalin during his dance cuz he's laughing so hard.

• Like 1

Miracle Mile was good in that bleak/depressing kinda way. It was really memorable for me thanks to the Tangerine Dream score.National Lampoon's Class Reunion and Student Bodies. Those two were so similar to me, but I do remember the two stoners from Class Reunion finding the lunchlady folded up in the oven.

Born in mid/late 80‘s, Ghostbusters, Batman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (although the movie was in 1990) were huge parts of my childhood (dressed up as the characters many times ha). Other movies I watched a ton (in the early/mid 90‘s but from the 80's and in no particular order) Fast Times, The Breakfast Club (holds up so well), Back to the Future, Empire and Jedi, Indy, E.T., BH cop, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Stand By Me, Terminator, Aliens, Commando, Predator, Risky Business, Beatlejuice, Ferris Bueler, Cadyshack, Untouchables (does not hold up but all the music is insanely good; I can listen to Rooftops any day), Die Hard, Field of a dreams, Big....I am missing a ton but the 80s were very good to us! Although in the 90‘s, I was shown both Goodfellas and T2 at a very young age (for whatever reason, prob naivety) and those films made me love movies very much.

• Like 3