MagnetMan

Favorite 80s films... for the old-timers

Yours Truly - totally blown away by your list, man.Beastmaster was incredible.Can't forget the classic: MEGAFORCE. (I mean seriously. Barry Bostwick with a pastel, dangling Rambo-like sweatband around his forehead and riding a jet-powered, rocket launching motorcycle!!!)Also, Lone Wolf McQuade - the movie that made me want an SUV (that could drive out of the earth after being completely buried!)And Ringo Starr's "Caveman" which I think only had 17 words of English... but still hilarious.

Edited by MagnetMan

Yours Truly - totally blown away by your list, man.Beastmaster was incredible.Can't forget the classic: MEGAFORCE. (I mean seriously. Barry Bostwick with a pastel, dangling Rambo-like sweatband around his forehead and riding a jet-powered, rocket launching motorcycle!!!)Also, Lone Wolf McQuade - the movie that made me want an SUV (that could drive out of the earth after being completely buried!)And Ringo Starr's "Caveman" which I think only had 17 words of English... but still hilarious.

Thanks, MM! I'm actually a girl, albeit a tomboyish one. Growing up, my dad wanted sons but got daughters. I became the surrogate. We'd play catch, shoot guns, and watch violent movies. Ah, memories. The 80's action movie will forever be my favorite genre, and Invasion USA will forever be my favorite 80's action movie. It's 200 proof awesome sauce. Every frame is perfection!And Megaforce, LOL! I haven't thought about that one in years. It's gotta be one the greatest bad films of all time.
  • Like 1

In Commando, Predator and Die Hard 2 can anyone remember the name of the fictitious country that figures within in the storylines?

Val Verde:"Col Matrix, you do not understand a country like Val Verde, it is a country that lacks discipline."All produced by Joel Silver.

Why tell me?

Because you are going to help overthrow the government.Why not get Bennet to do it? Sounds like something he would get off on.Your training Matrix.

My Top 100 Movies from the 80's (in chronological order):AirplaneBattle Beyond the StarsThe Elephant ManThe Empire Strikes BackThe ShiningSuperman IIAn American Werewolf in LondonBody HeatClash of the TitansEscape From New YorkThe Evil DeadMad Max 2Raiders of the Lost ArkScannersTime BanditsBlade RunnerCreepshowThe Dark CrystalE.T. The Extra-TerrestrialFast Times at Ridgemont HighThe Plague DogsPoltergeistThe Secret of NimhStar Trek IIThe ThingTronThe World According to GarpThe Dead ZoneThe King of ComedyReturn of the JediScarfaceTrading PlacesVacationVideodromeWargamesGhostbustersGremlinsThe Karate KidThe Last StarfighterOnce Upon a Time in AmericaRepo ManRomancing the StoneSplashStarmanThe TerminatorThis Is Spinal TapBack to the FutureCocoonCommandoEnemy MineFright NightThe GooniesPee-Wee's Big AdventureRe-animatorReturn of the Living DeadAliensBig Trouble in Little ChinaBlue VelvetCrocodile DundeeFerris Bueller's Day OffThe FlyHighlanderLabyrinthThe Name of the RosePlatoonSid & NancySomething WildStand By MeStar Trek IVAu Revoir Les EnfantsEvil Dead IIFull Metal JacketThe HiddenThe Lost BoysThe Monster SquadA Nightmare on Elm Street 3PredatorThe Princess BrideRaising ArizonaRobocopThe UntouchablesThe Accidental TouristAkiraBeetlejuiceBigCinema ParadisoDie HardHeathersThe Naked GunRain ManWho Framed Roger RabbitThe AbyssBack to the Future Part IIBatmanBill & Ted's Excellent AdventureDrugstore CowboyField of DreamsLethal Weapon 2The Little MermaidThe War of the RosesFunny that critics back then moaned about how inferior those movies were compared to the ones made in the 70's. But compared to today's soulless blockbusters the 80's output looks terrific. We will never see a finer decade for popcorn movies.

• Like 4

My Top 100 Movies from the 80's (in chronological order):AirplaneBattle Beyond the StarsThe Elephant ManThe Empire Strikes BackThe ShiningSuperman IIAn American Werewolf in LondonBody HeatClash of the TitansEscape From New YorkThe Evil DeadMad Max 2Raiders of the Lost ArkScannersTime BanditsBlade RunnerCreepshowThe Dark CrystalE.T. The Extra-TerrestrialFast Times at Ridgemont HighThe Plague DogsPoltergeistThe Secret of NimhStar Trek IIThe ThingTronThe World According to GarpThe Dead ZoneThe King of ComedyReturn of the Jedi.....Funny that critics back then moaned about how inferior those movies were compared to the ones made in the 70's. But compared to today's soulless blockbusters the 80's output looks terrific. We will never see a finer decade for popcorn movies.

That is one ridiculous list :) Think almost all my favorite 80's movies have been named except SpaceballsHistory of the World Part 1Spies Like UsFletchDead CalmProbably have more but so many movies that I like. Edited by WileECoyote

That is one ridiculous list :)

Think almost all my favorite 80's movies have been named except

Spaceballs

History of the World Part 1

Spies Like Us

Fletch

Dead Calm

Probably have more but so many movies that I like.

Fletch was a favorite of mine. It got me to read the entire series of books by Gregory McDonald. And later in life in made sense to me that I liked Kevin Smith's movies when I heard him say he learned to write dialogue from that series of novels.

Don't call me stupid. No Otto, calling you stupid is an insult to stupid people.

Loved Fish Called Wanda because it played on my love of Monty Python. Despite the reputation the Deep South has, Georgia Public Television was awesome in the 80s. I remember Saturday nights would bring us Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, Benny Hill and The Paul Hogan Show. Edited by MagnetMan

Loved Fish Called Wanda because it played on my love of Monty Python. Despite the reputation the Deep South has, Georgia Public Television was awesome in the 80s. I remember Saturday nights would bring us Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, Benny Hill and The Paul Hogan Show.

Fish Called Wanda is one of my all time favorites from the 80's. Too bad we can't include the other classics like Monty Python and the Holy Grail or Blazing Saddles both from the 70's but timeless IMO.And one other movie came to mind that I think wasn't listedWillow. I know many didn't like it and it didn't do too well in the BO, but I thought it was a great fantasy movie.