baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

If this doesn't get released in China, TDKR will probably need a push for $1B.

Currently it is heading towards 410-430M DOM and 550-600M OS.

I hope it makes it.

latest information,the work of TDKR's translation and dub is underway Edited by rickfox

I'd hardly say they were arrogant. There's no way anyone would've thought someone would shoot up a theatre and kill 12 people.

They were arrogant about the Olympics for sure. They assumed the opening weekend would go exactly as planned (180 or whatever). Stupid assumption.

Except SM3 shattered the opening record, had a completely open and perfect market for 2 weeks, and completely shit the bed despite everything going in its favor. TDKR was already going to have issues with the Olympics on its second Friday, but WB arrogantly assumed the first weekend would make up for that. Then the unthinkable happened with the shooting so now they have a one-two punch on both weekends. Someone at WB is on the hot seat for this one I bet. What's that saying? Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. With that release date, they assumed nothing would go wrong during opening weekend. Stupid assumption given what happened.

I have to agree it was dumb of them to schedule it so close to the Olympics. Surely someone over at WB must have realized that was going to affect it? I guess they just didn't care and thought it was too big to be touched? Like you said the shooting was obviously unthinkable and unforeseeable, but as a result they did get a double whammy for both opening and then second weekend when Olympics started.

Except SM3 shattered the opening record, had a completely open and perfect market for 2 weeks, and completely shit the bed despite everything going in its favor. TDKR was already going to have issues with the Olympics on its second Friday, but WB arrogantly assumed the first weekend would make up for that. Then the unthinkable happened with the shooting so now they have a one-two punch on both weekends. Someone at WB is on the hot seat for this one I bet. What's that saying? Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. With that release date, they assumed nothing would go wrong during opening weekend. Stupid assumption given what happened.

Red, I believe they wanted the OW record and that's the reason they didn't change the release date. I'm with you that Wednesday or Tuesday release would have helped tremendously.

I pushed you to start that club as a joke...

I know! That's why I'm in shock that it may actually happen. It was mostly a joke club. Although at the time I did think THG was headed for like $460m, which is also about where I thought TDKR could end up if it disappointed so I believed in it a little, but not much.

I think Olympics is a one day deal as the rest of the primetime ratings won't be anywhere close to opening ceremony numbers. All movies should have a healthy jump tomorrow.

Agreed. TDKR will jump at least 30% if the Friday jump is below 35%.

They were arrogant about the Olympics for sure. They assumed the opening weekend would go exactly as planned (180 or whatever). Stupid assumption.

Why? It would've if the shooting had not taken place.

It is the exact same release schedule as TDK and Inception. Shooting screwed it up but there is no way anybody could've taken it into account.

Exactly. The release date has served them extremely well since 2008.

I know! That's why I'm in shock that it may actually happen. It was mostly a joke club. Although at the time I did think THG was headed for like $460m, which is also about where I thought TDKR could end up if it disappointed so I believed in it a little, but not much.

It just shows us that anything can happen in box office. TDKR won't beat THG by that much now. Nobody ever would have thought that. Everyone laughed at that thread.
  • Like 1

It is the exact same release schedule as TDK and Inception. Shooting screwed it up but there is no way anybody could've taken it into account.

But it isn't the exact same as those. Olympics didn't happen until TDK's 4th weekend and Olympics weren't an issue at all for Inception. Plus both films actually had extra summer weekdays compared to TDKR (4 extra for Inception and 2 extra for TDK). I said two months ago that they should have moved it to July 18th, the 4 year anniversary of TDK. Would have given them two extra summer days and also some protection against the Olympics drop on the second Friday.
  • Like 1