Total Recall  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Total Recall

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

What was the point?I suppose if you'd never seen the original film this would work better for you but I've seen the original many times. It didn't start to well for me when I burst out laughing at The United Federation of Britain and The Colony.

Total Recall

It's just been released in China. I saw the first showing on the first day. I've got to say that this was really good. It's just pure entertainment. It's definitely a remake, which is refreshing to see. A lot of the things that made the first one great have been changed, but not too much, and they all work again in this remake.

Let's start off by saying that the first 5 minutes is slow until Quaid goes to Rekall, then all hell breaks loose and the action and pace doesn't let up until the end of the movie. I enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man. Not going to make me view cinema differently or change my opinion about what movies I like or anything like that, but they both gave me an incredible time at the cinema.

I loved the little nods to the original in this one. We had the three-breasted whore, the line "If I'm not me, then who the hell am I?", an enemies arms getting chopped off by a rising elevator, the "two weeks" woman, and a stalemate and a guy (Woodbine) that is trying to sway Quaid gets shot in the head. I loved that stuff because it didn't linger but it let the more knowledgeable people watching know that the director respects the original. But this one had new things in it too, which worked very well. The hand-phones were great, instead of the big red ball up Arnold's nose. I liked that. No. I loved that! The change of location from Mars to Earth (but separated into Australia/Colony and the UK). That was a nice touch. I don't see the point in remaking something if you're going to make it identical, and this wasn't at all, and so I thank Len Wiseman. There were no wise quips like Arnold gave in the original, again that was welcomed.

The world that this one is set in really worked too. There are a lot of establishing shots and shots that show you how this world is, and you completely forget about the original. This one isn't so violent as the original, but that changes nothing. There are loads of great shots, cool looking shots of Farrell and Biel and Beckinsale, and slo-mo shots, just a really well crafted movie. The hover cars are another nice addition. I suspect that Verhoeven would have loved to have had some of these things at his disposal in 1989.

The bad stuff; the music was generic. Overall it's not as good as Total Recall (1990), but that might be to do more with nostalgia for the original than anything overtly bad with this new one. It would have been great to have one more little nod to original. I put forward this scene:

Ugly man: "You got a lot of nerve showing your face around here, Houser!"

Quaid: "Look who's talking."

This movie is very stylish, as with all remakes, there seems to be a sheen and style to it that is unsettling at first. But as soon as the film kicks into life, you forget that and take it for what it is. Last little things to say now...Colin Farrell was excellent, as were Biel and Beckinsale. My God it's nice to watch a film where all of the cast are beautiful, and not just 'so-so' or 'ok', they are top-notch and very sexy, all of them. Not Bokeem Woodbine, though.

Oh, and they even stole a line from Arnie's The 6th Day...."I know who I am". That's arguable, but still, you never know, they may have. This is a real blockbuster movie that feels, looks and is huge. The only thing that isn't huge about it is the US box office, and I can only assume it's because the original is so loved, because this one, given half a chance, would be really well enjoyed. If only they didn't announce it to be a remake. People are biased when it comes to that word.

B+

• Like 2

This is easily one of the best sci-fi movie of the year now, along with Promtheus. Looper does not stand a chance against this.This movie does not have a single boring scence. Tension from start to finish. Well made actions and great future designs.I see many tributions to classics like Blade Runner(the piano scene is fucking brilliant !), Inception, Minority Report, and old Total Recall of course.Fuck the critics (only 30% on RT, seriously ?), I almost missed one of the most entertaining theater experience of the year. It really surprised me. Some wow moments, some great ideas, not like the highly overated Hooper (94% on RT, seriously ?) with none... :PBriliant for Len Wiseman for making this with only 125M ! Quite money saving. (Look at battleshit and Mars Carter, what shames)One of my best sci-fi action flick ever ! It can even replace the old Total Recall on many aspects (not only visually) in my list.Released a few years earlier, this could easily be a instant classic. Movie like this deserves 100M+ DOM, not shitty 60M+. More movies like this should be made. Fuck the critics again.8.7/10

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Total Recall

It's just been released in China. I saw the first showing on the first day. I've got to say that this was really good. It's just pure entertainment. It's definitely a remake, which is refreshing to see. A lot of the things that made the first one great have been changed, but not too much, and they all work again in this remake.

Let's start off by saying that the first 5 minutes is slow until Quaid goes to Rekall, then all hell breaks loose and the action and pace doesn't let up until the end of the movie. I enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man. Not going to make me view cinema differently or change my opinion about what movies I like or anything like that, but they both gave me an incredible time at the cinema.

I loved the little nods to the original in this one. We had the three-breasted whore, the line "If I'm not me, then who the hell am I?", an enemies arms getting chopped off by a rising elevator, the "two weeks" woman, and a stalemate and a guy (Woodbine) that is trying to sway Quaid gets shot in the head. I loved that stuff because it didn't linger but it let the more knowledgeable people watching know that the director respects the original. But this one had new things in it too, which worked very well. The hand-phones were great, instead of the big red ball up Arnold's nose. I liked that. No. I loved that! The change of location from Mars to Earth (but separated into Australia/Colony and the UK). That was a nice touch. I don't see the point in remaking something if you're going to make it identical, and this wasn't at all, and so I thank Len Wiseman. There were no wise quips like Arnold gave in the original, again that was welcomed.

The world that this one is set in really worked too. There are a lot of establishing shots and shots that show you how this world is, and you completely forget about the original. This one isn't so violent as the original, but that changes nothing. There are loads of great shots, cool looking shots of Farrell and Biel and Beckinsale, and slo-mo shots, just a really well crafted movie. The hover cars are another nice addition. I suspect that Verhoeven would have loved to have had some of these things at his disposal in 1989.

The bad stuff; the music was generic. Overall it's not as good as Total Recall (1990), but that might be to do more with nostalgia for the original than anything overtly bad with this new one. It would have been great to have one more little nod to original. I put forward this scene:

Ugly man: "You got a lot of nerve showing your face around here, Houser!"

Quaid: "Look who's talking."

This movie is very stylish, as with all remakes, there seems to be a sheen and style to it that is unsettling at first. But as soon as the film kicks into life, you forget that and take it for what it is. Last little things to say now...Colin Farrell was excellent, as were Biel and Beckinsale. My God it's nice to watch a film where all of the cast are beautiful, and not just 'so-so' or 'ok', they are top-notch and very sexy, all of them. Not Bokeem Woodbine, though.

Oh, and they even stole a line from Arnie's The 6th Day...."I know who I am". That's arguable, but still, you never know, they may have. This is a real blockbuster movie that feels, looks and is huge. The only thing that isn't huge about it is the US box office, and I can only assume it's because the original is so loved, because this one, given half a chance, would be really well enjoyed. If only they didn't announce it to be a remake. People are biased when it comes to that word.

B+

Great review ! You say all !

It's ok firedeep, Don Niam The Stingray just likes to follow the group. See how he makes a statement yet fails to give examples or back it up. Textbook sheep.

The movie just jumps from set piece to set piece (much like Prometheus). Always with that thumping music in the background. There's no room to breathe. No character development, no story development, which is unfortunate when you have a premise this good.I'm not the textbook, the movie is. Textbook on how to make a formulaic, generic Hollywood product. But hey, I gave it a C. There are things about it that I dig, but on the whole its a rather forgettable movie.
  • Like 1

Outside Avatar, havenot seen such a hardcore big syfy movie with solid future designs for years.

Yeh, I liked some of the designs as well. Even though they were blatant rip-offs. ;)

But yo firedeep, you're into concept art, right? Whatcha think about this one. I thought it was supercool.

Posted Image

Well we are seeing for different things in movies I suppose.I wont dig character development in an action film anyway.For dramas, I dig the character development, the story development, the meanings of the story.For comedies, I see how many laughs it can bring.For actions, I go for actions, for the ass kickings.For sci-fictions, the designs, the ideas, the concepts are what I care most.

Yeh, I liked some of the designs as well. Even though they were blatant rip-offs. ;)

But yo firedeep, you're into concept art, right? Whatcha think about this one. I thought it was supercool.

Posted Image

Very solid art.

The thread is still there: :)

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/4407-futuristicsci-fi-concept-arts-thread/