CJohn

Weekend (8/10-12/12) Estimates: Bourne Legacy 40.3M; Campaign 27.4M; Hope Springs 15.6M

You sure? That was the original report. Then someone said Nikki wrote B. Why would anyone trust her? That's the moron who said TDKR was rated R last weekend.

Because the original report came from NIkki. She changed it.

TASM is not a remake it a retelling. Since it covers some of the same stuff but their is new stuff add to the story and the sequels will be more different.

Again, it's as much of a reboot as Batman Begins. Take in consideration what Batman-on-film's Jett said back on July, 19th, 2005:

"The only major problem that I think Batman Begins has is one that is not its fault at all – namely, its perceived connection to Warner’s previous Bat films. After all, in just the past sixteen years there have been four very high-profile Bat releases, the last of which (1997’s Batman and Robin) did not fare well with either the public or the critics. Obviously, us Batman fans know that Begins is a complete (not to mention brilliant) restart of the franchise, but the general public still seems to have a bit of a “been there, done that” attitude toward the idea of a new Bat film, especially after the bad taste that Batman and Robin left.

And it must be said that Batman Begins covers a lot of the same ground tread in previous Warner Bat releases, especially the 1989 Batman. In fact, it would almost be fair for someone to say that Begins could be considered a remake of the ‘89 Batman. Just consider the following plot summary, and decide for yourself which movie I am talking about --

“The film follows the first exploits if Batman, as he saves Gotham City from a deranged criminal who is determined to unleash a chemical menace on the city. Along the way, he employs an impressive arsenal of crimefighting equipment, including his futuristic car the Batmobile. In the end, Batman starts to gain the trust of the Gotham City Police, in particular the city’s most honest cop, James Gordon.”

Obviously, I’ve set you up – the plot summary works equally well for both movies! Now, I don’t personally view Begins as a remake of the ’89 Batman, I think the term “franchise restart” is a much more accurate description of the film. I am only pointing out this fact out because the similarities between the two films might lead the general public to be less intrigued by Begins than all of us Batman fans had hoped they would be.

My hope is that the general public will lose whatever “been there, done that” feelings they might harbor toward Batman Begins in the next few weeks, as the film receives more and more favorable critical reviews and positive word-of-mouth. After all, Begins is not just a great Batman film, it is simply a great FILM – and people do like to go to the movies to see great films. (I promise to do MY part to make this film a financial success – I assure you I will see it at least ten or fifteen times in first run!)

In the end, no matter how Begins ends up faring at the box office, there is no doubt that the film will inspire decades of debate amongst Batman fans as to whether or not it is the “definitive” live-action Batman film. I guess I’ll go ahead and weigh in on this debate while it is still young. I suppose my answer would have to be “no,” simply because it is not my “definitive” Batman live-action film. My film would likely be a very literal cinematic translation of one of the character’s greatest print works (“The Joker” from Batman #1, The Killing Joke, Batman: War on Crime are the first things to come into my mind) and would feature Batman in a more traditional “comic style” costume.

That said, however, Begins comes far closer to the mark of “definitive” for me than any previous Batman live-action film. On a scale of 1 to 100, I personally would give it a grade of 95. (That is certainly a lot better than my former favorite Batman live-action film, the 1989 Batman, which I would give a grade of 60) So my opinion of Begins boils down to this – unless I miraculously get the chance to make the Batman movie that resides in my own imagination, the film is very likely as close to “definitive” for me as any Batman live-action film can get. Mr. Nolan, thanks for making this Batman fan’s long-held dream of seeing a great live-action Batman film, one that is great from fade in to fade out, finally come true."

Source: http://www.batman-on-film.com/opinion_msreinhart_beginsreview.html

I feel a lot like Jett felt back then with Batman Begins, and his feelings towards BB are a lot similar to how I feel about TASM right now. I believe the term "reboot" can be used for both of them.

Edited by Chris O Donnell

My point is sequels have built in audiences that love them no matter what, especially the frickin' opening day audience. TDKR got the same "A" score as TDK, yet clearly it doesn't have TDK's WOM with general audiences.

Bourne already had it's sequels. Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum. Bourne Legacy is more like Transformers 4. It's a whole new franchise. It's Bourne in name only. Edited by ECSTASY

Except TASM is not a remake, it's a reboot. If we are going through this "logic", Batman Begins, Man of Steel and the next Batman reboot are remakes as well.

TASM is much more similar in terms of story, characterization, and even tone to Raimi's films while Batman Begins is completely different on all levels and a drastic change for the franchise. Yes, TASM is technically a reboot (we all know this) but it leans much closer to remake than reboot (when considering past reboots in comparison to their original versions). That is why it hits such a nerve with audiences who think to themselves, really?? already?? This similar??!

My point is sequels have built in audiences that love them no matter what, especially the frickin' opening day audience. TDKR got the same "A" score as TDK, yet clearly it doesn't have TDK's WOM with general audiences.

Completely agree with this.

TASM is much more similar in terms of story, characterization, and even tone to Raimi's films while Batman Begins is completely different on all levels and a drastic change for the franchise. Yes, TASM is technically a reboot (we all know this) but it leans much closer to remake than reboot (when considering past reboots in comparison to their original versions). That is why it hits such a nerve with audiences who think to themselves, really?? already?? This similar??!

Raimi's tone was a lot campier.

Read what Jett said on Batman-on-film all the way back to 2005:

"And it must be said that Batman Begins covers a lot of the same ground tread in previous Warner Bat releases, especially the 1989 Batman. In fact, it would almost be fair for someone to say that Begins could be considered a remake of the ‘89 Batman. Just consider the following plot summary, and decide for yourself which movie I am talking about --

“The film follows the first exploits if Batman, as he saves Gotham City from a deranged criminal who is determined to unleash a chemical menace on the city. Along the way, he employs an impressive arsenal of crimefighting equipment, including his futuristic car the Batmobile. In the end, Batman starts to gain the trust of the Gotham City Police, in particular the city’s most honest cop, James Gordon.”

Obviously, I’ve set you up – the plot summary works equally well for both movies! Now, I don’t personally view Begins as a remake of the ’89 Batman, I think the term “franchise restart” is a much more accurate description of the film. I am only pointing out this fact out because the similarities between the two films might lead the general public to be less intrigued by Begins than all of us Batman fans had hoped they would be."

All of this that you are saying happened to Batman Begins seven years ago too. Batman Begins is the best Batman film IMHO. The Amazing Spider-Man is the best Spider-Man film IMHO. The pay off for reboots always truly comes with the sequels, and I feel that TASM is a fantastic restart for Spider-Man's franchise, as good as Batman Begins was back in 2005.

Bourne Lagacy is having some problem in Malaysia here. The second largest cinema chain cancel TBL's screening across nationwide in its 19 outlets due to technical errors of the film copies... Arghhh, gonna plan a way to go for other cinema to watch it...14mil FRI, better than I expect ^^