Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

2000. Space Cowboys was the highest grossing August release with $90m. However it's worth noting almost every August since has had only 1 movie that just barely crossed $100m. 2011 and 2009 were more exceptions.

Well, at least with BL and TE2, it seems that there was an ATTEMPT at notable releases in August. For a few years there, the summer was ending in mid- and early-July! I liked the past few years a lot, with very solid releases like D9 and PotA being released late in August. This was the way it was when I was a kid, with movies like THE FUGITIVE and such released late. Though this particular year failed, at least Hollywood is returning to form and not ending the summer movie season on July 4th, for no logical reason whatsoever.
  • Like 1

TE2 won't get great WoM, unfortunately there's a drop in quality. I loved the first one, but this one was just ok.The market is clearly not fully recovered, we have to wait for a while for the next 100m film.

I agree the first Expendables was revered in that it was the first of it's type to bring them all together. There was no way the sequel could match that lightning in a bottle.

You and Shawn are in the same ridiculous boat with these kind of comments.

Everything is speculation. There is no way to prove anything. There are people that decided not to go to the theaters just there are people that were drawn to see it because of the curiosity factor that humans have. There is not way to tell which was stronger.

Everything is speculation. There is no way to prove anything. There are people that decided not to go to the theaters just there are people that were drawn to see it because of the curiosity factor that humans have. There is no way to tell which was stronger.

Yeah, there is a way. It's called common sense.

Judging by the WW B.O. and its legs, in my opinion there is no quantitative evidence that the "Joker" shooter (a Batman fan who "believed he was in a movie") had any substantial effect on TDKR's performance. This is why I think everybody is lapsing into wild, subjective speculation. So saying it helped the box office - while probably wrong and definitely counter-intuitive - is just as valid as saying it hurt it.

• Like 2

And, if people wanna get into speculation about the motives of millions of strangers, I'll throw in one: TDKR was contaminated not just by the Joker shooter (who himself was a big time Batman fan) but also by the RT incident (where critics who didn't like the movie were being threatened by the Nolanites) and the overall cult-like, obsessive, and creepy behavior of the Nolan Batman fans on Facebook and message boards.Combine that with the movie's own pretenses of being "politically relevant" (see: Josh Gordin Levitt interviews) and now it's ALSO contaminated with stupid American pop politics idiocy.So, in the weeks before its release, TDKR had ceased being associated with a cool hero who catches violent criminals and mutated into some sort of bizarre political tract authored by a cult leader to his creepy, obedient followers.In short, TDKR had already developed a stench in the days and weeks before its release. And the murderous actions of one of those Batman fans furthered that stench to new levels.

And that same common sense also tells us there was no way it would hit $600m without the shooting either. So let's not act like saying one is more stupid than the other.

Did you not read my post above where I said Shawn is in the same boat with him? Someone asked me to explain it and I pointed to Shawn's argument about $600m. Both are freaking ludicrous assertions and they both hide behind the bullshit argument that it's "all speculation and there is no way of knowing."

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/5200-friday-s-mostly-crappy-numbers-all-around/page__st__480#entry429507

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

Both are freaking ludicrous assertions and they both hide behind the bullshit argument that it's "all speculation and there is no way of knowing."

If the definition of "bullshit arguments" has somehow been switched to, "obvious and common sense", then I agree with this claim.You're actually saying that it's NOT speculation? What, do you live in a parallel universe or something?

If the definition of "bullshit arguments" has somehow been switched to, "obvious and common sense", then I agree with this claim.You're actually saying that it's NOT speculation? What, do you live in a parallel universe or something?

Of course it's speculation. Hiding behind that to make ridiculous assertions (in either direction) is what I'm calling a bullshit argument.