Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films -- 2013 THREAD TO START SOON! POSSIBLE RULE CHANGES ON PG. 50

74. Batman

Tim Burton, 1989

"I'm Batman, I'm Batman."

Won 1 Oscar

348 points

Synopsis: The Dark Knight of Gotham City begins his war on crime with his first major enemy being the clownishly homicidal Joker.

Trivia: Jack Nicholson received a percentage of the gross on the film, and due to its massive box-office took home around $60 million. As of 2003 it is still the single-movie record for actor's salary.

73. Toy Story 2

John Lasseter, 1999

"Ride like the wind, Bullseye."

Nominated for 1 Oscar

351 points

Synopsis: When Woody is stolen by a toy collector, Buzz and his friends vow to rescue him, but Woody finds the idea of immortality in a museum tempting.

Trivia: According to rottentomatoes in 2007, this is the best reviewed movie of all time.

72. Rear Window

Alfred Hitchcock, 1954

"Tell me exactly what you saw and what you think it means."

Nominated for 4 Oscars

351 points

Synopsis: A wheelchair bound photographer spies on his neighbours from his apartment window and becomes convinced one of them has committed murder.

Trivia: The only film in which Grace Kelly is seen with a cigarette. She refused to smoke in films, except this once.

Edited by Sims
  • Like 1

71. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones, 1975

"Blue. No, yel... AUUUUUUUUGH."

No Oscar nominations

352 points

Synopsis: King Arthur and his knights embark on a low-budget search for the Grail, encountering many very silly obstacles.

Trivia: Michael Palin plays the most characters (12).

70. The Shining

Stanley Kubrick, 1980

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!"

No Oscar nominations

354 points

Synopsis: A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil and spiritual presence influences the father into violence, while his psychic son sees horrific forebodings from the past and of the future.

Trivia: Nominated for two Razzies.

69. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo)

Sergio Leone, 1966

"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting."

No Oscar nominations

357 points

Synopsis: A bounty hunting scam joins two men in an uneasy alliance against a third in a race to find a fortune in gold buried in a remote cemetery.

Trivia: Ennio Morricone's iconic theme music was designed in places to mimic the sound of crying hyena.

Silence of The Lambs not on the top 25? Wtf...If The Avengers or TDKR is in the Top 10, I will probably won't get any sleep tonight.The Dark Knight, I do expect in the top 25.

68. Star Trek

J.J. Abrams, 2009

"My name is James Tiberius Kirk!"

Nominated for 4 Oscars, won 1

357 points

Synopsis: The brash James T. Kirk tries to live up to his father's legacy with Mr. Spock keeping him in check as a vengeful, time-traveling Romulan creates black holes to destroy the Federation one planet at a time.

Trivia: Tyler Perry's first movie role outside one of his own projects.

67. Toy Story 3

Lee Unkrich, 2010

"You've got a playdate with destiny!"

Nominated for 5 Oscars, won 2

369 points

Synopsis: The toys are mistakenly delivered to a day-care center instead of the attic right before Andy leaves for college, and it's up to Woody to convince the other toys that they weren't abandoned and to return home.

Trivia: The first sequel to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar without any of its predecessors being nominated.

#66 (already?)

66. Lawrence of Arabia

David Lean, 1962

"Time to be great again, my lord."

Nominated for 10 Oscars, won 7

370 points

Synopsis: Epic rumination on a flamboyant and controversial British military figure and his conflicted loyalties during wartime service

Trivia: Steven Spielberg estimated that to make the film today would cost in the region of $285 million.

• Like 1