Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films -- 2013 THREAD TO START SOON! POSSIBLE RULE CHANGES ON PG. 50

47. WALL-E

Andrew Stanton, 2008

"Eeee...va?"

Nominated for 6 Oscars, won 1

456 points

Synopsis: In the distant future, a small waste collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.

Trivia: First instance of a Pixar feature-length film using live-action.

46. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Michel Gondry, 2004

"Meet me in Montauk."

Nominated for 2 Oscars, won 1

479 points

Synopsis: A couple undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories when their relationship turns sour, but it is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with.

Trivia: Kate Winslet's favorite role.

45. A Clockwork Orange

Stanley Kubrick, 1971

"We were all feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed, it being a night of no small expenditure."

Nominated for 4 Oscars

479 points

Synopsis: In future Britain, charismatic delinquent Alex DeLarge is jailed and volunteers for an experimental aversion therapy developed by the government in an effort to solve society's crime problem... but not all goes to plan.

Trivia: The final scene was done after 74 takes.

• Like 2

44. Batman Begins

Christopher Nolan, 2005

"Master Wayne, you've been gone a long time. "

Nominated for 1 Oscar

490 points

Synopsis: Bruce Wayne loses his philanthropic parents to a senseless crime, and years later becomes the Batman to save the crime-ridden Gotham City on the verge of destruction by an ancient order.

Trivia: The average length of a shot is 1.9 seconds

43. Avatar

James Cameron, 2009

"Trust me now."

Nominated for 9 Oscars, won 3

503 points

Synopsis: A paraplegic Marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.

Trivia: First movie to ever cross the US$ 2,000,000,000 mark worldwide

42. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

Steven Spielberg, 1982

"E.T. phone home"

Nominated for 9 Oscars, won 4

504 points

Synopsis: A meek and alienated little boy finds a stranded extraterrestrial. He has to find the courage to defy the authorities to help the alien return to its home planet.

Trivia: When it was test-screened at the Cannes Film Festival as an unofficial entry, it brought the house down, receiving a standing ovation that had eluded most of the official entries.

• Like 4

Rules (please read!):

-You are to submit a list that will go towards determining the forums' all time 100 favorite films (duh).

This was the first line in the "Top 100 films of all time" thread. I voted based on my favorite movies - some of the classics are very good movies, but are certainly not among my favorites.

• Like 1

Rules (please read!):

-You are to submit a list that will go towards determining the forums' all time 100 favorite films (duh).

This was the first line in the "Top 100 films of all time" thread. I voted based on my favorite movies - some of the classics are very good movies, but are certainly not among my favorites.

BLASPHEMY!

41. The Big Lebowski

Joel and Ethan Coen, 1998

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. "

No Oscar nominations

517 points

Synopsis: "Dude" Lebowski, mistaken for a millionaire Lebowski, seeks restitution for his ruined rug and enlists his bowling buddies to help get it.

Trivia: Recipe for making a White Russian: 2 parts vodka, 1 part coffee liqueur (such as Kahlúa) and 1 part cream. Served with ice in a low ball glass.

40. American Beauty

Sam Mendes, 1999

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life."

Nominated for 8 Oscars, won 5

524 points

Synopsis: Lester Burnham, a depressed suburban father in a mid-life crisis, decides to turn his hectic life around after developing an infatuation for his daughter's attractive friend.

Trivia: The helicopter shot at the beginning of the movie was originally for a flying sequence where Lester floats over the houses and then down onto his bed.

39. The Wizard of Oz

Victor Fleming, 1939

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more."

Nominated for 6 Oscars, won 2

527 points

Synopsis: Dorothy Gale is swept away to a magical land in a tornado and embarks on a quest to see the Wizard who can help her return home.

Trivia: The only location footage in the entire film are the clouds over the opening titles.

• Like 1