acsc1312

Film Club- Revamped! Suggest films

Alright, 500 Days:

One of the best romance movies I've seen in recent years. It has such a realistic view of love and relationships that it's almost impossible not to relate to it. I actually had a "girlfriend" who was just like Summer. It doesn't explore the romance as deep as the modern classic Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind does, however it's easy to get lost in the characters and their motivations. The "Expectations Vs. Reality" sequence is definitely the highlight of the film. Overall, it's a charming, funny, intelligent and realistic indie rom-com that leaves a heartfelt impression even after the credits roll.

Direction: 8.5/10

Acting: 9/10

Soundtrack: 8/10

Cinematography: 8/10

Script: 9/10

Overall Grade: A-

• Like 1

What I did find frustrating, which maybe was the point, was how simple Summer fell in "love" after the breakup. She goes from gung-ho I'm never getting married to swiftly in love and engaged. I think it was an interesting character shift, but one that ultimately allows Tom to move on with his life. One of the more poignant scenes in their last encounter at the park. It's almost as if Summer was thinking "Hey, I know Tom will be there, so let's go show him that I'm happy now." Once again, this allows Tom to say it's over and I need to move on. Coincidentally, fate is just a few minutes away at his job interview. The last scene is great, and the little name jab adds a great deal of refreshment after an emotionally tough third act.Directing- 9/10Acting-9/10Soundtrack- 10/10 (LOVE THIS SOUNDTRACK)Cinematography- 8.5/10Script- 9/10Overall Grade: A

I haven't watched it recently, but I've seen it a good 8-10 times, I'd say. I loved the movie (obviously). The characters are wonderful and wonderfully acted. I agree with the conclusion that Summer isn't supposed to be completely fleshed out, as this is Tom's story. What I really like about the movie is the realism. Of course it's still a movie, but it feels pretty real. I guess it helps that I've been Tom, too.I have to disagree with you about how quickly Summer fell in love after Tom. I thought that fit pretty well. To me it made it all the sadder but more real that she had fun with Tom, but he just didn't make her want anything more. It just took her clicking with someone else to make her want that something more. Plus, it makes it sadly ironic (if I may use that word that way) that Tom was determined to change her mind about the whole love thing, and while she did eventually come to his point of view on it, it was only because she fell for someone else.I also agree about the splitscreen scenes, the Hall and Oates scene and the music. I looked up the album for the song by Carla Bruni "Quelqu'un M'A Dit" specifically, but decided to buy the whole album since it was on sale. It is one of my favorite albums, and I still go back to it regularly. It also turned me onto Regina Spektor, and I've bought two of her albums. She and the movie do a great job of setting a mood through music.I love the Ikea scenes. My wife has always loved Ikea, so we go there every so often. Now ever since seeing this, it takes on a different meaning.Lastly, I didn't completely like the ending. I would have preferred a less happy ending, with him not meeting someone new. However, I did like the name jab, and it didnt detract from the movie much at all.Instead of posting my own ratings, I'll just say that I agree 100% with yours here. Edited by Tom Ace

Given that the making of this film was a living hell, the fact that the final product is coherent is somewhat remarkable. The fact that the final product is Apocalypse Now is... hmm. Let me back up a bit. At a relatively early age, there were some films that helped me define why I love movies. ET, Raiders, Godfather, Toy Story. Then this movie came along my path and offered an experience that transcended what I thought movies could make me feel. The battle scenes. The massacres. The scene with The Doors blasting and HOLY SHIT HE'S COMING OUT OF THE MUD. I knew films could be great, but heartpounding? Spellbinding? It's long and meandering, but that's the point, and only in the redux version (which is more impressive for its recoloring than any of the new footage, but still admirable) does any of it feel out of rhythm of the arc of this film. It's out of control but totally knows what its doing. It's nothing you'll ever see attempted again in cinema. This is my favorite movie.

Ummmmm it's one of those movies (like Platoon) where you love certain parts, but get bored with others. I think it's overrated and the end is really weird when we actually get to the point of the movie. Brando just didn't do it for me in this role, which is surprising. But the positive qualities really made me like it. B+, I guess, although it could've easily been an A. Can't wait to watch the Sting!Btw, for each new week, I'm leaving the "next two" films in terms of votes, in hopes to keep it equal. At the end of the month, I'll let us choose from the rejects for the same reason. As always, if there's something you'd like to suggest, please do so.

Come on ya'll, lets discuss Apocalypse Now!

This movie blew me away.. its a powerful experience, and it captures the trippy insanity of the Vietnam War.

The scope is huge, there are some jaw-dropping images and visions and explosions throughout the film. The helicopter attack scene was some of the greatest cinema I have seen. It was never boring, and it just kept getting crazier and more interesting.

But..

I didn't care for the ending. The movie started to get kinda mock-philosophical and boring when the arrived at Kurtz's kingdom.

There on out I was checking my watch- it was obvious they didn't have proper ending for the film.

As an animal lover, I was kinda pissed about the un-simulated ox slaughtering, especially when I found out that Coppola about a dozen oxens killed for that one scene.

Still, despite the ending, the movie left an impact on me. After seeing it I immediately wanted to see it again!

And that to me is a sign of a great movie

9/10

It was. I think its kind of deplorable to kill animals for the sake of art.BTW I have an issue about voting- when I delete my vote, pick the movie and press 'vote', it just says error.? :huh:

Totally agree. Poll fixed :) Thanks for pointing that out
  • Like 1

Totally agree. Poll fixed :) Thanks for pointing that out

Oh good. I shall suggest some movies for the next next poll:And Justice for AllBullets Over BroadwayExistenzThe Bridge on the River KwaiThese all happen to be movies I just got on dvd.. :P :PThis needs to be more popular! I love discussing movies