acsc1312

Film Club- Revamped! Suggest films

well poll isn't closed or locked yet, and it says 9/8, so I think voting should close 9/8..or Saturday, sometime - maybe Saturday noon? or at least Friday at midnight.

Poll: Week of 9/8-9/14 (17 member(s) have cast votes)

What movie should we watch for week 2?

[*]Lawrence of Arabia (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

[*]Casablanca (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

[*]Apocalypse Now (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

[*]12 Angry Men (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

[*]Dr. Strangelove (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

[*]Ben-Hur (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

[*]Other (please specify) (0 votes [0.00%])

Edited by The Movie Man

(500) Days of Summer feels like one of the most accurate movies available on the status of contemporary relationships. Having been in several relationships somewhat like the one Tom had with Summer - where it's clearly not "just friends," yet it's not an official boyfriend/girlfriend thing, either - I think the script connects with the idea that some romantic relationships are becoming less cut-and-dry.Is the film fair to Summer? Of course it's not, and I would argue that reshaping the film to give her more detailed development would miss the point. The film is Tom's one-sided way of interpreting a relationship, and it's appropriate considering that a one-sided view is really all that most young people are capable of doing. Tom is always connected with his own feelings, but the instances where he is shown displaying real empathy and understanding for Summer are few and far between. We're told in the opening narration that Summer loved only two things as a child: her long black hair, and how easily she could cut it off. She clearly seems to be a woman with some rough emotional baggage, yet Tom - despite believing himself to be in love with her - does not seem to be particularly aware of Summer's emotional problems (or perhaps misinterprets them as frustration directed at him), and doesn't try to act as a source of comfort and relief for her. Perhaps I'm just biased since my most recent relationship was practically built on being available for emotional support (I was honestly more her pseudo-therapist than her sort-of-boyfriend, and that's a huge part of the reason why we decided to put the brakes on anything romantic), but I would think that if Tom had a truly deep understanding of Summer, he would at least make the effort to be emotionally intimate with her rather than largely brushing her feelings aside.As far as acting is concerned, this was the performance where Joseph Gordon-Levitt really broke out in my mind. I had not seen Mysterious Skin or Brick prior to seeing (500) Days of Summer, so I still had yet to see what the fuss was about the kid from the Angels in the Outfield remake and Third Rock from the Sun. But here, he brings a level of charm, likability, and humanity to a character who, upon close examination, could be interpreted as a whiny, self-centered jerk. Zooey Deschanel is also terrific as Summer. Although the character must conform to another character's interpretation of her (which she nails by being as convincingly bitchy as she is convincingly sweet), Deschanel makes the most of a few moments where she truly gets to make Summer her own, like the scenes near the end where Tom finally tries to see some of the events from her perspective; when they exit The Graduate and she is inexplicably crying, we see a woman knows what she needs to do for herself, yet feels genuinely sad about having to do it.(500) Days of Summer breaks from convention, and it's all the better for it. Yes, it's a downer, and it can also come across as a mean film when one considers the possibility that Summer may actually be a significantly sweeter person over the course of the falling out than Tom sees her as being. But ultimately - and I realize this may just be the optimist in me speaking - I think it's a movie that calls on us to see our relationships with others from a more decentered perspective, lest we miss the chance to make something lasting and special happen with them. In order for love to conquer all - as the formula typically dictates in a romcom - we have to first conquer our own self-centeredness.

• Like 2

Midnight will be the deadline. Looks like Apocalypse Now will be the film. I'll add Casablanca to the next poll since it was second.

So are you keeping one thread, or having a new thread for each movie? If one thread, change post #1 to an index - #1- 500 is on pages 1 to 4 ....and on the poll, think the poll is on-going to you copy it down into a post to make it offical...and start a new poll or just delete the pollIMO - sorry I am a process reviewer at work, so I have to be detailed.

If Apocalype Now does end up as next I can sum up my thoughts as this:The glacial pacing and the bad performance of obese Marlon Brando kills the film.

IMO, I kindof agree that the whole movie is bloated, and the movie is made mostly by the Napon/Beach scene

500 Days of SummerInteresting film. And I agree with webslinger in that I think it's supposed to be one sided. It shows obsession and expectations of one person built up in his own mind. I enjoyed it but my view is that it was a role reversal movie. Usually it's the guy saying he doesn't want a relationship and it's the female who is obsessed. This movie takes that notion and spins it around on it's ear.Summer was the object of affection/obsession for Tom. I disagree that Summer wasn't fleshed out enough. I think that was the point. Adam didn't know her that well either. Yet he fell madly in love with her and continued to pursure her. She told him straight up that HE wasn't the guy. She gave him ample warning. But he did what so many people do. Ignore the warning and get the hurt feelings later.As for the ending, I felt it ruined the vibe and it was corny to boot. I would have rather he walked out of that place an enlightened fellow understanding that you can't always have what you want and obsession can destroy you, lol.Both leads gave real and true performances. JGL gave a pretty touching performance in that he showed the despair of a man with a broken heart well. The story was tight and the music was good. Direction and Cinematography was adequate.Solid B+

Edited by ECSTASY

So are you keeping one thread, or having a new thread for each movie? If one thread, change post #1 to an index - #1- 500 is on pages 1 to 4 ....and on the poll, think the poll is on-going to you copy it down into a post to make it offical...and start a new poll or just delete the pollIMO - sorry I am a process reviewer at work, so I have to be detailed.

No prob. I appreciate your input. I will probably just create an index instead of starting a new thread. Maybe if this really keeps going for a while we can create a subforum. Really good discussion for 500 days, though. I'll fix everything once I get home with laptop access.

I never posted my thoughts on (500) Days.I've already said I love it. I think the thing that makes it click the most is the script. This is such a quotable movie. JGL is absolutely perfect as Tom, and Deschanel plays Summer beautifully. It's interesting to note Gopher's points about the film being one sided. While I don't think it played a huge role, it is easy to see that Summer could be fleshed out a little more. But this was mostly about Tom and his point of view, so I think it's fine.What I did find frustrating, which maybe was the point, was how simple Summer fell in "love" after the breakup. She goes from gung-ho I'm never getting married to swiftly in love and engaged. I think it was an interesting character shift, but one that ultimately allows Tom to move on with his life. One of the more poignant scenes in their last encounter at the park. It's almost as if Summer was thinking "Hey, I know Tom will be there, so let's go show him that I'm happy now." Once again, this allows Tom to say it's over and I need to move on. Coincidentally, fate is just a few minutes away at his job interview. The last scene is great, and the little name jab adds a great deal of refreshment after an emotionally tough third act.Directing- 9/10Acting-9/10Soundtrack- 10/10 (LOVE THIS SOUNDTRACK)Cinematography- 8.5/10Script- 9/10Overall Grade: A