riczhang

Riczhang's Year 4 Reviews

Fine by me, I guess. I just chose it for you to review since I know you like Bond and Chris Nolan, as obvious by your awesome signature. ;) So, will you be doing Booster Gold and Citizen Hughes, or just one of them?

Definitely doing Hughes, and Booster will depend on how tired I am of reading superhero movies by the end of all this. :lol:
  • Like 1

The Simulation:

For a fall non-Oscar movie, The Simulation is extremely good. It’s well acted, and above all it carries a story that’s not only original, but most importantly worth telling.

Duncan Jones must be commended for direction, and man did he make those 55 million dollars stretch a long ways. The visuals, and effects looked like they were from a movie twice its budget, and some cool cinematography techniques only enhanced the experience.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Michelle Williams are stellar as normal, however the once thing that doesn’t work for me is that score. Atticus Ross simply isn’t the right person to write this score, and it all just seemed to analytical for a movie of this type in my opinion.

8.5/10

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

I'm not gonna review The Road Home simply because I came out of it really liking it, but I honestly don't really know what to say, it's kinda like walking out of a Terrence Malick film, it's amazing, but you honestly can't form a coherent thought that's worth sharing. But, I'll give it a rough score 8.5-9.5/10

• Like 1

Never Say Goodbye:

Never Say Goodbye is a Woody Allen film if I ever saw one, charming, and charismatic. And this one is no exception. While it tries to tell a good story, it gets bogged down with its over large cast, overly long screenplay, and simply doesn’t quite do the job correctly. But, that doesn’t take away from the enjoyment of this film, which is a very enjoyable film.

Where Never Say Goodbye falls is that it tries to tell too much in too little time, with only a tad over 2 hours, this film often felt rushed, and character development was sorely under served. With the complex story, involving such a large ensemble cast this movie felt like a 2 for 1 deal, 2 stories in one movie, however this movie like To Rome With Love and its 4 vignettes doesn’t pull that off. The resulting movie feels physically compacted, and would’ve better been told with two movies.

The cast while solid on paper and fantastic in their performances have one flaw. A cast this big, star studded, and talented simply gets in each others’ ways as each tries to do their best. However this is not to say that there weren’t well acted roles, and poignant moments which there were plenty off, and especially in that last scene in the railway station, which in my opinion is the best part of the movie.

Despite its flaws the movie is still very enjoyable, very good, and is definitely another trademarked charismatic Woody creation.

8/10

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

Comedians:

With a premise that spells certain catastrophe at even the slightest miscalculation, Comedians manages to defy the odds and pull this certainly strange premise off. With great acting, and a sharp, witty, and funny script the Comedians is definitely what it sells itself to be.

7.5/10

• Like 1

The Suicide King:

The Suicide King is a fantastic black-comedy that is funny, well acted, and tightly scripted. However the nature of the plot may not be for everyone, and I can see why people would react negatively towards it.

However to me it simply is a damn good comedy, and one of the best that we’ve seen all year.

9/10

• Like 1

Citizen Hughes:

Albeit episodic, and choppy at times, Citizen Hughes is a masterful, and highly successful insight into the life of Howard Hughes.

Christopher Nolan has done it again, and while I was initially very sceptical of his ability to pull off a film like this, he has once again proved me wrong, with some wonderful shots, decisions, and impeccable technicals.

However, I didn’t particularly care for the IMAX, and while it didn’t do any harm to the film, it didn’t do any good either.

Jim Carrey pulls off a great performance again, and while he doesn’t personally suit my vision of Howard Hughes he does it well enough to be convincing.

9.5/10

• Like 1

Top 25 is coming piece by piece. There's a lot of 8's-9's in fact a few 8's didn't make the cut, but not a lot of 9.5+'s. 25. Divisions 8/1024. Student Film 8/1023. Call of Duty: Of Their Own Accord 8/1022. Lord Madship 8/1021. LoveBytes 8/10

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1