Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

DC's way too valuable.  I assume a Netflix deal would be like the deal Disney did of old with Netflix - the "rental" of material.  WB keeps the rights and sells them to Netflix for X period of time in a non-exclusive deal (so WB can still also show them)...

Netflix needs a big get...and they don't mind that kinda deal (or they didn't use to)...

I mean, Apple needs that kind of get badly, too...but again, they'd want to buy and WB won't sell DC...they see what the Marvel brand has been worth to Disney...

You have to do what marvel did to be what marvel is. That’s not going to happen. Marvel has found a place with the general audience that no competitor will really get to even if they have successes every now then. It’s like Bond vs other spy franchises, or LOTR vs the many clones  or HP vs other young adult stuff. Just not going to scale those heights. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Oh, I agree. Buying a company heavy with debt is not a good idea. But, as someone ponted uou, several events beyond anybody's control in the economy made the debt crisis worse after the purchase.

Discovery’s debt was worse than warners compared to revenue and cash flow before they merged. The scrips deal in 2018 and the subsequent rapid decline in cable has done Number on them 

4 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

You have to do what marvel did to be what marvel is. That’s not going to happen. Marvel has found a place with the general audience that no competitor will really get to even if they have successes every now then. It’s like Bond vs other spy franchises, or LOTR vs the many clones  or HP vs other young adult stuff. Just not going to scale those heights. 

Yeah it's been 15 years with Marvel almost. There are kids who grew up with this franchise having no idea that before 2008, these characters were mostly a bunch of nobodies. Now they're all gonna watch a TV show where a baby tree says nothing but three words lol

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The superhero genre will only die if the MCU stops making money. Phase Four has been pretty shaky to say the least, but Marvel still has more goodwill than most other franchises. 

As for DC, yeah, they’re probably boned. Nothing except for that dumb Joker sequel  seems like a certainty right now, but I guess we’ll have to see what happens tomorrow. 

That Joker sequel sounds like the right kind of crazy. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Can someone explain to me the logic in delaying Aquaman 2?

I can understand moving Shazam 2...move it a weekend where it has little oppostion, instead of going head to head with Avatar 2.... but, Aquaman 2 to December 2023? Makes little sense.

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I have no interest in it. I just figure that it’s sure to happen because Zaslav seems to like Todd Phillips. 

A sequel to film that cost 55 Million and made over a Billion is a no brainer if ever there was one.

What studio exec would not like a direcotr like that?

Edited by dudalb
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I have no interest in it. I just figure that it’s sure to happen because Zaslav seems to like Todd Phillips. 

Cool. You have no interest.  Facts are Joker was one of the most profitable comic movies ever.  Sequel was a no brainer

• Like 1

What's the logic in all this? They clearly don't like Snyder or want anything to do with him anymore, but they also don't seem terribly keen on all this new DCEU stuff either. They most likely want a clean reboot but then why delay your films further? It would make a lot more sense to just release these movies and close out this saga (what happens to WW3? idk) so you can move on and not have this half rebooted half Snyder verse.