Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, there was a poster who unironically used the phrase “weirdo identity politics,” so there’s that. 

Also, what is it with you and Jacob Elordi? 

Are you implying that using the phrase "Weirdo identity politics" actually means the poster said diversity is bad and should not be important to WB? Because that is how these responses read, even though that is obviously not what anyone here has or would suggest.

and Jacob Elordi would be by far the best financial choice for Superman ATM. 

Edited by excel1

14 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Zaslov doesn't care about your weirdo identity politics and he isn't going to play them with a multi-billion dollar company on the line. His job is stop the studio from hemorrhaging money and put it on the track to start making a profit and he's going to hire the people who he believes are going to make that happen.

Funny how so many get so worked up over one small observation/joke I make.  I think that says more about you than me.  It's not like this isn't a conversation that the entire industry is having...and it's not like multiple pieces of journalism haven't been published just recently that ask critical questions about the "look" that WarnerBros./Discovery is giving off during all these major shifts. 

It's OK to ask questions about human beings a *little* more and worry a *little* less about just the money.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Are you implying that using the phrase "Weirdo identity politics" actually means the poster said diversity is bad and should not be important to WB? Because that is how these responses read, even though that is obviously not what anyone here has or would suggest.

and Jacob Elordi would be by far the best financial choice for Superman ATM. 

It’s not necessarily saying that they think diversity is bad, but it is a strange statement that wasn’t really necessary. Why is it weird to point out that Zaslav has reportedly been making the company less diverse? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s not necessarily saying that they think diversity is bad, but it is a strange statement that wasn’t really necessary. Why is it weird to point out that Zaslav has reportedly been making the company less diverse? 

Read the series of posts. This began with people upset that Batgirl was canceled despite having a minority female as the lead. The response was that the films quality sucked to such an extent that they felt compelled to shelve it outright. People complaining the shelving of a reportedly horrendous film should be overturned simply due to the minority lead are openly prioritizing pushing diversity ahead of pushing quality and are using this directly to bash Zaslav and say things like he is "making the company less diverse".

The argument is basically:

"Even though Bargirl is horrible and might kill the career of its creators and stars while further hurting the brand equity of DC, they should release it simply because its a minority female in the series lead!"

People then take it go 

"Zaslav is taking a middle America approach and is getting away from diversity, which is terrible for company".

The sentiment is absurd and ridiculous. He is promoting quality ahead of diversity which is exactly what he should do. I am sure he wishes the film that the minority actress starred in was better and worthy of a proper release. Frankly, if they released Batgirl, and it was as atrocious as it apparently is, that would without a doubt do more damage to future minority-actress lead projects than anything else. 

Edited by excel1

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Read the series of posts. This began with people upset that Batgirl was canceled despite having a minority female as the lead. The response was that the films quality sucked to such an extent that they felt compelled to shelve it outright. People complaining the shelving of a reportedly horrendous film should be overturned simply due to the minority lead are openly prioritizing pushing diversity ahead of pushing quality and are using this directly to bash Zaslav and say things like he is "making the company less diverse".

The argument is basically:

"Even though Bargirl is horrible and might kill the career of its creators and stars while further hurting the brand equity of DC, they should release it simply because its a minority female in the series lead!"

People then take it go 

"Zaslav is taking a middle America approach and is getting away from diversity, which is terrible for company".

The sentiment is absurd and ridiculous. He is promoting quality ahead of diversity which is exactly what he should do. I am sure he wishes the film that the minority actress starred in was better and worthy of a proper release. Frankly, if they released Batgirl, and it was as atrocious as it apparently is, that would without a doubt do more damage to future minority-actress lead projects than anything else. 

First off, can we please stop with the narrative that Batgirl was shelved because it was just that unfathomably bad? 

Second, Zaslav has been firing a lot of people of color and replacing them with white men, which is where a large part of the controversy is coming from. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

First off, can we please stop with the narrative that Batgirl was shelved because it was just that unfathomably bad? 

Those are the reports. If it was better, obviously it would be receiving some sort of release.

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Second, Zaslav has been firing a lot of people of color and replacing them with white men, which is where a large part of the controversy is coming from. 

Such as, and in those instances, was it a quality improvement or no?

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Those are the reports. If it was better, obviously it would be receiving some sort of release.

Such as, and in those instances, was it a quality improvement or no?

What reports???  From whom???  Geekboy.com doesn't count.  

And read THE WRAP's recent piece, just for a start.  Impressions of what Zaslav is doing to *people* are not that good.  

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

White men are not better, smarter and more competent than women and people of color. If someone were to seek the best people to the jobs they're offering, they would naturally end up with a diverse group of people, because gender and race were not part of equation, only the skills. If you only hire white men, than it's pretty likely that, even if only on a subconscious level, you do believe that white men are better. I'm not saying it's the case with Zaslav, though, I have not checked if those claims are accurate, I'm just talking in general. 

People of all races are equal in their intrinsic value as human beings.

This does not mean, however, that people from all races or both sexes are equal in fields of enterprise or endeavor. This would require people to be programmed machines and that is anything but natural as you claim. In general, people from different races and sex gravitate towards and excel in certain fields. Black athletes dominate the NBA and running. Asians dominate the tech sector. Women dominate the care sector. Men dominate manual labour etc...

It would not be a surprise if a championship NBA team was entirely comprised of black men.

It would not be a surprise if the board of a healthcare company were all women.

Equally, it should not be a surprise if all, or most, of the board at WB are white men.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Social engineering is unnatural, and potentially evil, trash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, there was a poster who unironically used the phrase “weirdo identity politics,” so there’s that. 

Also, what is it with you and Jacob Elordi? 

Identity politics led to the greatest horrors of the 20th century, so I will continue to call them weirdo. Honestly, I'm being extremely generous and polite by just calling them weirdo. There are many more appropriate, harsher words I could use.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

55 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I think everything is perfect at warner bros and nothing is wrong and everyone is happy

Without question, yes.

Batman, Flash, Aquabro, Joker, Wonder Woman, Barbie, Creed, Dune, Godzilla, Kong, Blue Beetle, Harry Potter, Matrix all hanging out. Matt Reeves, Michael B. Jordan, Robert Pattinson, Bradley Cooper, Timothe Chalamet, Austin Butler, Lady Gaga, Margot Robbie all in their pocket too.

13 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Without question, yes.

Batman, Flash, Aquabro, Joker, Wonder Woman, Barbie, Creed, Dune, Godzilla, Kong, Blue Beetle, Harry Potter, Matrix all hanging out. Matt Reeves, Michael B. Jordan, Robert Pattinson, Bradley Cooper, Timothe Chalamet, Austin Butler, Lady Gaga, Margot Robbie all in their pocket too.

You really need to learn a lot more about how the film business works if you think running off a list of names proves that everything is hunky dory at Warners.

We can argue about who is to blame and how Zaslev is handling the situation, but Warners is in deep finiancial trouble.

And after what happened last December, you are calling the Matrix franchise a good asset?

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, TestPattern said:

Problem is a kit of what happens is out of Warner's hands and in the hands of the US Legal system. I think Warners knows this and it's behind Warner silence on Miller.

I still think it is going to come down to Warners having to roll the dice  on the film and just hope Miller's antics have not hurt it much. 

https://view.email.hollywoodreporter.com/?qs=0d80548a12b2cf310293df51e9458a75c24bbc55ab91cf0c38bf24832c685fd9e142d8b944dbd289324554999d04f2871b31fa8baef177076357693c1bfd3059162e5c8d512d976d

THE NEWS THAT CAPED CRUSADER and five other animated projects were being scrapped was poorly handled and obscured the fine print.

Caped Crusader, which aimed for a bit of an older audience than the other titles, remains in production, and guess what? So are the others … Merry Little Batman, The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Toons Movie, Bye Bye Bunny: A Looney Toons Musical, Did I Do That to the Holidays: A Steve Urkel Story and The Amazing World of Gumball: The Movie are also in various stages of production.

They are not being scrapped, they just won’t be shown on HBO Max. It’s not a quality issue, but an economic and strategic issue. It is believed that the various Warners divisions making the show and movies will make more money on the titles by selling them to other outlets than having them on Warners’ own streamer.

This is yet another example of the shift away from the corporate strategy that had gripped the studios in recent years: populate your own streamer and build eyeballs. Selling what you make is what Warners, famously on the television side, did for years and years: Friends and  Fresh Prince of Bel-Air aired on NBC. Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory were made for CBS and The O.C. for Fox. And don’t forget that DC shows Constantine and Gotham were produced for other networks.

It is a radical 180 from the previous mandate, which gave execs and those working on the shows whiplash for sure.

Caped Crusader is already receiving intense interest from Apple, Hulu and Netflix, among others, our sources tell us. Incoming calls are always a good thing in this business.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

https://view.email.hollywoodreporter.com/?qs=0d80548a12b2cf310293df51e9458a75c24bbc55ab91cf0c38bf24832c685fd9e142d8b944dbd289324554999d04f2871b31fa8baef177076357693c1bfd3059162e5c8d512d976d

THE NEWS THAT CAPED CRUSADER and five other animated projects were being scrapped was poorly handled and obscured the fine print.

Caped Crusader, which aimed for a bit of an older audience than the other titles, remains in production, and guess what? So are the others … Merry Little Batman, The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Toons Movie, Bye Bye Bunny: A Looney Toons Musical, Did I Do That to the Holidays: A Steve Urkel Story and The Amazing World of Gumball: The Movie are also in various stages of production.

They are not being scrapped, they just won’t be shown on HBO Max. It’s not a quality issue, but an economic and strategic issue. It is believed that the various Warners divisions making the show and movies will make more money on the titles by selling them to other outlets than having them on Warners’ own streamer.

This is yet another example of the shift away from the corporate strategy that had gripped the studios in recent years: populate your own streamer and build eyeballs. Selling what you make is what Warners, famously on the television side, did for years and years: Friends and  Fresh Prince of Bel-Air aired on NBC. Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory were made for CBS and The O.C. for Fox. And don’t forget that DC shows Constantine and Gotham were produced for other networks.

It is a radical 180 from the previous mandate, which gave execs and those working on the shows whiplash for sure.

Caped Crusader is already receiving intense interest from Apple, Hulu and Netflix, among others, our sources tell us. Incoming calls are always a good thing in this business.”

If I ran a streaming,,or any other Network and I heard a Timm produced Batman series was availble, you can bet I would be on the Phone to Warners in a New York Minute.