Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

37 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Here's what I never got about people not liking the aliens. And that's okay, but the previous movies featured supernatural elements, people get their faces melted off, turning into skeletons and getting their hearts ripped out. It's always stretched credibility to some extent.I enjoy the film quite a bit mainly and I said this before it was nice to see Ford actually want to b in a movie

Indy doesn't fire a single bullet 

That's bad....how? The whip is his signature element. Which he uses twice in the film. He's not Dirty Harry.

Except the most important aspect, entertainment value.

Right, so clearly IJ:KOTCS wins that. It doesn't have long boring sequences in the middle of the film where nothing happens, the protagonist in a pit doing nothing but belly aching, yeah that's entertainment right there. 

My grade is about a B-

Just in two pages it's shown by posters that this movie really isn't as bad as they let themselves to believe with all the pile on hate upon it's debut. Even the elements I don't love, I understand due to the nature of the series.

Often cited is the fridge nuke scene. However, anyone who knows anything about Americana knows it was often cited about how you could trapped inside those early 50/60 era fridges and being lead lined is an obvious thing. Never mind Indy isn't the first hero to escape and survive nuke situations. While the swinging with the monkeys is an eye roll for me as well it's there paying homage to the 50's serial Tarzan films as the series itself is an homage to the Adventure Serials of the 30/40's that Lucas loved. 

The scene with the "big ass ants" was fun cause there were a few of those "killer insect" films in the 50/60s as well, often using nuclear fallout as an impetus for their killer nature.

I was and am very fine with Aliens being the reveal, again, sticking with the times this movie was paying tribute. I think Lucas and/or Spielberg went overboard by adding extra narrative that they were "inter-dimensional beings who lived in the spaces between the spaces".....I mean come on, just being Aliens isn't good enough. 

Indy is either atheist or agnostic, he clearly isn't as religious or religious at all based on what we see in Last Crusade at least. To him the Ark, Grail, and Shankara Stones are all just as equally 'alien' as well.....aliens. 

It's a fun movie and I seriously hope that with what seems to be a deal to bring back Han Solo that Disney has someone, somewhere working on an Indy 5!!! Stat!

Edited by Captain Craig