The Thing (2011)

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Thing (2011)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

2011 version -An average but not terrible film that sufers from the lack of tension and brooding atmosphere that Carpenters version had.The new version also has a problem with cgi, bad cgi. Some scenes like when the girl transforms look pretty good but nearly all the rest of the cgi looks average to god awful and results in very little fear from the viewer as its too obvious that the thing is simply not there unlike Carpenters version which has practical effects that still look awesome and terrifying (on the whole).Another problem that occurs from having the Thing as cgi is that the Thing now moves so fast all over the place, it lacks the tension involved in Carpenters version. This happens a lot in modern cgi remakes like the tension filled Medusa scene in the orig version of Clash of the Titans compared to the super speedy, terrible looking Medusa on acid in the remakeAlso i remember a rumour from ages ago that the film was going to be PG13 and you can see those PG13 routes in the film as there is a distinct lack of blood and gore, even from the creature as its splitting open and transforming, what little blood there is there from the kills is yet again bad looking cgi. Thanks so much to the director who 'promised' that 70% of the effects would be practical and that cgi would only be used to add bits here and there, it shows you that you can't trust these people and they only spout shite to try and please the hardcore fans.One thing the film does pretty well though is have nods to the Carpenter version all over the place like the axe that Kurt Russel sees in the Norweigen (sp?) base stuck in the wall, you get to see how it got there, and how they explain the deformed 2 headed corpse that they found out in the fire. These little nods are very nice if you are a fan of the orig Carpenter film.All in all i'd give The Thing 2011 a 6.5/10, it could of been a lot better but it could of also been a hell of a lot worse!.

C-

Guess I should've watched the trailer again before buying this. Very poorly written and edited. Not much to really say. It's inoffensive at least? Guess it's not as intelligence insulting as Scream 4 but still, don't bother with this. Deserved to bomb as it did.

B . I was pleasantly surprised, I expected it to totally suck and it was , at the very least, decent. Of course it was nowhere near as good as the Carpenter film but , what can I say, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit . The acting was good and the cgi didn't bother me at all .

It was never going to surpass the original, but it did surprise at least with the effort they made to making it match how we see it in the original (the detail is there, even the structure of the house is pretty legit). However, this is where CGI can kill a film. The director obviously 1. Overused it, and 2. Didn't really have either the budget for it or just had average people working it cause some of the cgi is cringeworthy. It just goes to show you don't need all this fancy computer crap to make a good horror flick (or flick in general). The characters were a bright spot in this. Even though I knew they were doomed, I generally felt bad for them, mostly Kate as she was likable (though i found it unrealistic for her to solve what eas going so fast, whereas the first felt legit. I mean, kate was just like "yeah, its a thing that can replicate people" ehereas in the original, they had to actually see it to believe in such a crazy idea could happen).The pacing I thought was fine, not too rushed. Some of the things though didn't make sense to me, but I didn't dwell. The ending with the last monster.......oh my god, again that terrible cgi :lol:. It had me laughing.

I did think it was cool though and a big twist after the fight when Kate torches that guy due to the earring. I didn't see that at all.

Overalls, I guess I could say it was a fine take on a prequel that is considered a classic, which I think should be a win for this. I'd say a B- overall, 7/10.

Characters: 8/10

Score: (pretty much the same as the first, can't really give it full credit) 8/10

Special effects: 5/10

Plot: 9/10

Script: 9/10