Tower

Weekend estimates (11-02/04-12)(starting pg 15)

And how many of them were guaranteed to be BO hits, regardless of his involvement? Movies like Independence Day would've been big grosses regardless. A draw is someone who can open a film of any genre, quality, and scope to a respectable, and relatively high (for what type of film it is). Those stars don't happen anymore, don't pretend Smith is one of them.

I have a decent grasp, I know what I'm saying when I'm talking about votes, and numbers when it comes to the Oscars.

Smith has done romcoms, sci-fi, action, drama, and comedy that made big numbers. What do you mean "don't pretend Smith is one of them"? Goodness, he has been on hiatus and yet MIB lll still did amazing numbers. Don't speak like he has made 10 films in the last three years and they didn't make money.

Please tell me that no one at a box office site is saying that Will Smith was never a draw. Is this coming from the same person who said that Disney buying Lucasfilm for 4 bill was a bad investment?

Probably very, very good. If I were to guess...I bet Zemeckis and Denzel will get to take home nearly half the profits of the film. And given the budget...that should be a nice payday.Granted, that'd be very generous, but I've seen it happen enough with big talent. With a small budget like this, and big name talent like that...it's hardly unbelievable.

Edited by kowhite

Smith already proved in movies like The Pursuit of Happiness and Hitch that he is a draw.

There is no need to post Smith's box office grosses, but anyone who is even a casual box office observer knows that Smith was the number one draw for about 15 years, no one could touch him.

Smith has done romcoms, sci-fi, action, drama, and comedy that made big numbers. What do you mean "don't pretend Smith is one of them"? Goodness, he has been on hiatus and yet MIB lll still did amazing numbers. Don't speak like he has made 10 films in the last three years and they didn't make money.

So if we stick him into a small indie production it'll do gangbusters? We don't live in the age where you can get a star to open a film no matter how big or small, shit or good, and genre. Stars don't have that draw anymore.

Please tell me that no one at a box office site is saying that Will Smith was never a draw. Is this coming from the same person who said that Disney buying Lucasfilm for 4 bill was a bad investment?

I didn't say it was a bad investment, I said that the price was a bit high, and that the market wouldn't be highly ecstatic about it. Sure enough Disney dropped 3% the day after the announcement while most stocks go up after acquisition/merger offers are announced. Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

So if we stick him into a small indie production it'll do gangbusters? We don't live in the age where you can get a star to open a film no matter how big or small, shit or good, and genre. Stars don't have that draw anymore.

No, if you stick him in a small indie film it will not do gang busters simply because there would be no marketing behind it. But Seven Pounds making 70 mill is proof enough that people see films because he is in them. That was nothing close to blockbuster kind of material and it made 70 mill.

What kind of logic is that? Why, do you think THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST did so well because the actors were a draw? I don't know what "age" you are talking about.

So if we stick him into a small indie production it'll do gangbusters? We don't live in the age where you can get a star to open a film no matter how big or small, shit or good, and genre. Stars don't have that draw anymore.I didn't say it was a bad investment, I said that the price was a bit high, and that the market wouldn't be highly ecstatic about it. Sure enough Disney dropped 3% the day after the announcement while most stocks go up after acquisition/merger offers are announced.

And what happens when Disney starts getting its first check from all the merchandise sales of SW? Still a bad investment?

And what happens when Disney starts getting its first check from all the merchandise sales of SW? Still a bad investment?

You love misquoting me don't you? I've never said that it was a bad investment, I don't think it is a bad investment. I said in my posts that in the long run it will be a good investment, but Disney should've driven the price down a bit more. 3.75 billion is more of a fair deal.