A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Thursday est

***Tiny Times 3 110M/$17.7M(NEW/1 day)***

Transformers 4 17M/$2.7M, Total : 1820M/$293.5M(21 days)

Old Boy:The Way of The Dragon 8.8M/$1.4M, Total : 162M/$26.1M(8 days)

The Breakup Guru 7.6M/$1.2M, Total : 623M/$100.5M(21 days)

That is a very solid opening for TT3.

But TF4 held well, I must say.

TT3 performance is a little surprise. Thought it would recover but increasing 20%+ from TT OD ? .... This is nuts. Also, in term of OD admissions, TT3 is not far behind TF4. Tiny Times franchise is of course critics/reviews proof. Only reason TT2 decreased, it was released only a month after TT.Hold on ! Today there is a even bigger surprise, way bigger ... Local horror film The House That Never Dies looks is heading to 40m+ Friday ... obviously it just becomes the FIRST horror blockbuster in the Chinese film market. This is a historical thing.Summer 2014 is in full power.

• Like 4

Off topic but, last night I met an 8 year old Chinese kid named Justin.  He was this wonderfully precocious and friendly kid who came running up to me and asked me if he could pet my dog.  I said sure.  We got talking and he was born in Toronto (Brampton....where Russell Peters is from) but his parents have been here for 10 years.  Justin learned to speak English first and then at the age of 6, he learned how to speak Cantonese.....at the age of fucking 6!!  It took him about 18 months and he is now fluent in it.  He can't read it yet but he can speak it fluently.  That's just freakin incredible.

Back to box office.

Wow you may have ran into one of those young ones who has inate gifts for languages and other things. Learning Cantonese is pretty darn tuff even by adults with audiobook standards... Very cool Baum..

:)..A canookasian the cool young lad be right b. :D Cool.

Thats why I love being open to new cultures and just new things.. And love the different people one can meet in cities and just being open where every  you maybe. :).. I hope that young one never changes and is always friendly and open with people.

On a BO note Optimus Prime hits 300M US in China between today and tomm I think :D

• Like 1

TT3 is huge (at least the opening). But Continent (7.24) should be even bigger. The hype is there.

Continent even bigger than Tiny Times 3?   That's crazy box office.

What's your box office prediction for both Tiny Times 3 and the Continent?

Did you guys ever think of $300m in a single market oversea 5 years ago?

In another 5 years, China box office should be reported separately from overseas. DOM(US-CA) / OS / China.Because, in 5 years, whenever a film opens and wins the weekend in China, it will easily win the OS weekend. This has already happened occassionally now.And, in 5 years, #1 films in China should often out-open the #1 films in US/CA on the same weekend. This also has happened.This year the top 10 films in China should all near the $100m mark.
  • Like 1

Continent even bigger than Tiny Times 3?   That's crazy box office. What's your box office prediction for both Tiny Times 3 and the Continent?

TT3 should clear 500m RMB with that opening, maybe even 600m if it holds well (in the TT standard). I would expect more for Continent (not necessarily the opening though).