A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

1.4B could happen by sunday for AoU

Next goal 1.5B

Its going to be very very tough

No way in hell it's touching 1.4B this weekend after a 1.265B last weekend. It needs to get  to 1.3B first, and it barely grossed $10M from weekday numbers.

Edited by Queen Shar

No way in hell it's touching 1.4B this weekend after a 1.265B last weekend. It needs to get  to 1.3B first, and it barely grossed $10M from weekday numbers.

You know this is a China thread where people often talk Yuan.

And AoU is at 1.359B after friday

If Doraemon holds well and WOM is as great as it was in it's other territories, than I'm sure it will reach $15 - 20 million USD!  That will make it around a $115 cumulative for Stand by Me Doraemon!  That's basically "blockbuster" level right there for me for a film from Japan!

That is surprising. It appears made for china. Could be good news for AOU, Doremon etc if San Andreas bombs in China. May be the market is not as predictable as we think and believe everything gonna break out.

AOU mixed wom led to sharp declines, TL bombing now SA could be weak. Maybe this is a sign of the novelty beginning to wear off and they are now becoming more selective with their movie going dollars. Up over 50% year to date. The biggest admission gain ever. Often the biggest pop in a market precedes a drop.  Maybe we wont see many PacRim situations where its underwhelming every where but china in the future. Firedeep said many movie goers just show up and see whats playing, After enough disappointments maybe they'll check their "rotten tomatoes" first and stay away.

• Like 1

Finally, the record of biggest single day gross(55M yuan I think) for an animated movie is broken by Doraemon, it has been held by KFP2 for exactly 4 years!

Edit: KFP2 OD - 67M saturday

Edited by Johnny Storm

Saturday estimates:
1). Stand by Me Doraemon, ¥80M/ cume: ¥145M ($23.7M)
2). Avengers: Age of Ultron , ¥25M / cume: ¥1384M ($223.2M)  - 3rd biggest of all time
3). Tomorrowland ,  ¥20.8M / cume: ¥70M ($11.3M)
4). P.K., ¥8.8M / cume: ¥65.9M ($10.6M)
5). I, Frankenstein ¥8M / cume: ¥33M ($5.3M)
  • Like 5

KFP2 OD - 67M saturday , which was  also biggest single day record for some time.

So, KFP3 OD 200M yuan+? 

If released on a holiday or weekend, 300M+ easily!

And rumor says local distributor bought Doraemon rights for a mere 600k yuan. :blink: ( Japanese movies are hard to pass censorship)

Edited by Johnny Storm
  • Like 1

Finally, the record of biggest single day gross(55M yuan I think) for an animated movie is broken by Doraemon, it has been held by KFP2 for exactly 4 years!

Edit: KFP2 OD - 67M saturday

So does that mean Doraemon is going to come close to KFP2's final gross?

Saturday estimates:
1). Stand by Me Doraemon, ¥85M/ cume: ¥150M ($24.2M)
2). Avengers: Age of Ultron , ¥26M / cume: ¥1385M ($223.3M)  - 3rd biggest of all time
3). Tomorrowland ,  ¥21M / cume: ¥70M ($11.3M)
4). P.K., ¥9.4M / cume: ¥66.5M ($10.7M)
5). I, Frankenstein ¥8M / cume: ¥33M ($5.3M)

updated

• Like 4

That... was the most unexpected thing for me!  Does this have the ability to hit $100 million if it keeps up at this pace?!  Damn, I thought $20 was "blockbuster" level for this movie but it managed to pass that and more in just mere days!  I'm going to put my bet on $50+ million! 

Quite a few japanese anime are huge in China. Doraemon is one of them. I'm pretty sure Japanese anime movies have quite the potential there. Too bad so few of them are actually released.

Hopefully one day China ends up being more open to movies from different countries (Japan, France, Korea, Germany etc.) and ends up giving some of them significant grosses, it could allow these countries to produce more high-budget movies and be more competitive on the market which could only be a good thing.

Edited by Cynosure

That... was the most unexpected thing for me! Does this have the ability to hit $100 million if it keeps up at this pace?! Damn, I thought $20 was "blockbuster" level for this movie but it managed to pass that and more in just mere days! I'm going to put my bet on $50+ million!

What are you talking About? 50m will be reached during the next weekend itself, at the latest. Its almost locked to end up above Big Hero 6 at this point. Unless, I am missing out on something..like more than usual bondages on the movie for being a japanese one?