A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

The run was fine, don't listen to them.  KFP2 was a phenomenon and shouldn't be compared to. To think it could do over 150-200m,  let alone over 100m when no HLWD toon could do it in the 4 years since KFP2 did 96m is ludicrous.

• Frozen was a WW phenom, it did more OS and WW than Minions and could do just 50m last year.
  • Minions not quite doubled IO's OS BO and it will more than double IO's china BO.
  • Kids just went back to school. HLWD does not release big movies skewing younger a week after school is back in for an obvious reason.
  • Sept is historically the worst BO month in Domestic and in most other countries. Was close to the bottom last year in China and dead last in 2013. 
  • MH and TMK were huge hits that just closed, tough to follow
  • Title may have been a turn off. "Little Yellow People" sounds a bit racist to me :ph34r:

I got caught in the hype myself instead of being analytical. Having said that...

I say KFP3 doesn't break 200m. KFP2 was an all time #1 anomaly and will unlikely be beaten  when adding in market increase (300m+). I don't see why it would double TMK. Maybe it beats it, but not by much. Chinese just don't do toons like other countries.

Exactly!! Thank you!

Am tired of all the 'wow big flop' statements for a film that will become 3rd highest hollywood animated film in China

It's just that everyone's expectations - me included- were way unrealsitic.

Some here were also saying IO would cross 85 million in China! Why am I not seeing 'big huge flop' statements about IO as well in this forum? Weird and highly biased.

Anyways good luck to KFP3.

Edited by MinaTakla

We have bloated the expectations for sure. Myself was saying $150-$200m for Minions, probably influenced by the enormous success it was having everywhere. I did not know that September was a so bad month for BO in China. I take note of it. Anyway, analizing the strict numbers, DM2 did 322 million Yuan and, 20 months later, Minions has increased about 35%. Not bad. Not great. Just a normal figure.

Edited by peludo

Lawrence, people will go to work/school this Saturday, so Friday will drop from Thursday and Saturday will be act like a normal Friday.

inside out today looks like only 5m yuan, 150m yuan finish looks dead...

it will finish under HOME. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Hi boys, do you think mp2 will be released on November 20 or will be pushed back to 2016?

Have you read something about it?

some source reported it may open day and date with North america but still not confirmed.

• Like 1

Kylin was the most accurate predictor for IO.

Firedeep said 85 million USD for Inside Out in China and it seems Inside Out will be another situation just like MI5 and Minions both made 50 or 60% of their bloated expectations (70 m out of 150 and 135m out of 220). 

Lawrence, people will go to work/school this Saturday, so Friday will drop from Thursday and Saturday will be act like a normal Friday.

inside out today looks like only 5m yuan, 150m yuan finish looks dead...

it will finish under HOME. :ph34r:

Communist party giveth day off and the communist party taketh away. Lol

I never went to school or work(forcibly) on a saturday or sunday in my life,

God bless America!

Why can't we just talk facts and truth instead of always getting defensive about a movie we want to do well.

Almost no one thought IO was going to be huge in China. I remember specifically posting that I couldn't see any reason why IO would do well with the Chinese audience.

Almost everyone thought Minions would be HUGE in China and you also can't compare the marketing in China between IO and Minions.

Compared to its other OS markets, the Minions run in China is very mediocre and pretty disappointing compared to realistic expectations based upon its sequel status and the massive marketing.

IO was disappointing in terms of what some people were HOPING for, not any realistic expectation.

I don't think anyone thought Minions wouldn't even be the top foreign animated movie of this year in China, behind BH6, a movie that had a very mediocre domestic and international run.

The Chinese market is hard to estimate, but the outcomes of Minions and IO aren't really comparable.

Communist party giveth day off and the communist party taketh away. Lol

I never went to school or work(forcibly) on a saturday or sunday in my life,

God bless America!

I think the real reason is because education is highly valued in Eastern culture. If kids miss school and fare badly in their university entrance exams, many people will blame the government ;) Edited by sgchn40

GML           MH                  
  Day Yn % +/- Last Week Tot $Tot Yn Daily % +/- Last Week Tot $Tot          
  Wed 23     33 5                    
  Thur 40 73.9%   73 12 165     165 27          
  Fri 50 25.0%   123 19 132     297 48          
  Sat 63 26.0%   186 29 188 42.4%   485 78          
  Sun 79 25.4%   265 42 184 -2.1%   669 108          
  Mon 98 24.1%   363 57 110 -40.2%   779 125          
  Tues 112 14.3%   475 75 103 -6.4%   882 142          
  Wed 112 0.0% 387.0% 587 92 85 -17.5%   967 156          
  Thur 57 -49.1% 42.5% 644 104 83 -2.4% -49.7% 1050 169          
Est Fri 51 -10.5% 2.0% 695 112 81 -2.4% -38.6% 1131 182          
Proj Sat 71 39.2% 12.7% 766 123 121 49.4% -35.6% 1252 202          
Proj Sun 128 80.3% 62.0% 894 144 125 3.3% -32.1% 1377 222          
Proj Mon 50 -60.9% -49.0% 944 152 64 -48.8% -41.8% 1441 232          
Proj Tue 47 -6.0% -58.0% 991 160 62 -3.1% -39.8% 1503 242          
Proj Wed 43 -8.5% -61.6% 1034 167 57 -8.1% -32.9% 1560 251          
Proj Thu 38 -11.6% -33.3% 1072 173 44 -22.8% -47.0% 1604 258          
          1900 300       2438 391          

GML held the best yesterday at -49%. It was playing weaker in the evening than the other 2 making this weekday hold impressive like the rest of the run. Presales down 10% today. If it plays stronger on the weekend we could hopefully see a 40/80 bump tomorrow and sunday.

Kylin was the most accurate predictor for IO.

Firedeep said 85 million USD for Inside Out in China and it seems Inside Out will be another situation just like MI5 and Minions both made 50 or 60% of their bloated expectations (70 m out of 150 and 135m out of 220).

What? The avg predictions for IO were no more than 40-50m. And everybody knew it wasn't realistic to hope much for it. While the avg predictions for minions were at least 120-130m. Don't just say anything, man...

And ou said in your previous comment that you were annoyed with people calling minions a flop? Maybe you don't realize it but it's actually us annoyed with you constantly, repeatedly, listing (many times even the same one again and again) its unnecessary, needless and not-at-all-amazing achievements. It's sometimes like someone saying AOU is just the 8th movie since 2010 to cross 400m,and then reminding people of that every day. You also may have not realized that since most people were over minions after the first few days, most flop comments now are only follow ups to your amazing run comments. So, you know, the point of the matter is - just let it go now buddy.

• Like 1

What? The avg predictions for IO were no more than 40-50m. And everybody knew it wasn't realistic to hope much for it. While the avg predictions for minions were at least 120-130m. Don't just say anything, man...

And ou said in your previous comment that you were annoyed with people calling minions a flop? Maybe you don't realize it but it's actually us annoyed with you constantly, repeatedly, listing (many times even the same one again and again) its unnecessary, needless and not-at-all-amazing achievements. It's sometimes like someone saying AOU is just the 8th movie since 2010 to cross 400m,and then reminding people of that every day. You also may have not realized that since most people were over minions after the first few days, most flop comments now are only follow ups to your amazing run comments. So, you know, the point of the matter is - just let it go now buddy.

Firedeep did predict 85m - go back to earlier pages and you'll find the predictions. Am not just saying anything

And just as you have the right to be annoyed, I have the right to voice my opinions. And I didn't say that multiple times here on this thread. Maybe you also confused this with the Minions OS thread which I post to regularly with updates. 

I did think $80m was possible for IO but after seeing it, I knew even $30m would be lucky. Now even $15m looks to be a struggle.

Minions is chaotic and bad.

IO is good but ... dull... also, don't you guys think its plot might be a little too complicate for kids ? what a bowl of chicken Soup. Maybe, to begin with, the whole idea of the occasional growing up pains of an American middle class girl were never going to resonate well with general audience in China. We perfer more traditional animations like colorful adventures and fighting the evils. Maybe the Good Dinosaur would be the breakout film for Pixar in China.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 2