A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

9 minutes ago, Fake said:

Updated Midnights number? It seems it was revised down, but I'm not sure.

Also, by the looks of it, it may finish the day with 190-200m Yuan incl. midnights.

its starting to look that way. Not as many walkups as I thought with few discount tickets Maybe evening will play stronger being that its a Saturday opener

28 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

135m is a 4.5x OD. That's a very low multi. that's very bad WOM

Maoyan score is lower than AoU,ahead of Spectre.WOM is a bit low now.150M is not dead yet.TFA is not a terrible film,but nostalgic style may not be Chinese tastes.

PS:TFA is released on Saturday,not weekday.The average multi is not very high on Sat or Sun OD.

Edited by bangbingchan

40 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

Maoyan score is lower than AoU,ahead of Spectre.WOM is a bit low now.150M is not dead yet.TFA is not a terrible film,but nostalgic style may not be Chinese tastes.

PS:TFA is released on Saturday,not weekday.The average multi is not very high on Sat or Sun OD.

T5 had hard daily drops the first week. was robbed of BO sales the second week and still did a 4.7 from a sunday OD. Saturday is easier to score a better multiplier than a sunday

34 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

T5 had hard daily drops the first week. was robbed of BO sales the second week and still did a 4.7 from a sunday OD. Saturday is easier to score a better multiplier than a sunday

T5 is very special.The actual number for its week is ahead of 10%~15%.Few films multi x 6 when open on Sat or Sun.FF7 is an exception.It needs very good WOM and solid hold on weekday.Multi 4.5~5 OD for TFA with mixed WOM now.

Edited by bangbingchan

20 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Lol the Chinese love transformers but not TFA...oh well. Every culture has their own likes and dislikes..can't get too angry about it.

The Chinese are just that more familiar with transformers back from the hasbro line of toys and cartoons till now. Plus TFA's story is harder for the uninitiated to get into, even though the spectacle is as good or better.

Edited by FranMan

Update:

Up to 2:15PM, SW7 has made 109M yuan on OD with preselling tickets through the day, not including midnights.

Normal multiplier will put its OD at 210-220M without Midnights.

Let's see how the night goes.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

Update:

Up to 2:15PM, SW7 has made 109M yuan on OD with preselling tickets through the day, not including midnights.

Normal multiplier will put its OD at 210-220M without Midnights.

Let's see how the night goes.

That's a bit better than expected yes? Possible 40 million USD if it picks up a bit but currently looking upper 30's?

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

That's a bit better than expected yes? Possible 40 million USD if it picks up a bit but currently looking upper 30's?

My revised prediction is $34-36M OD with midnights.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Would the official result be based on current exchange rate? If so, TFA will be disadvantaged?

Yes, unluckily.

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

With that kind of opening day and current WOM, what do you think the final total will be?

5 to 6 times its OD.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

Yes, unluckily.

5 to 6 times its OD.

So 175m-200m according to your own predictions would be a fantastic result for Disney - a great place to start to a build a fan base for future installments!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

So 175m-200m according to your own predictions would be a fantastic result for Disney - a great place to start to a build a fan base for future installments!

Yeah, and I think Rogue one will improve the franchise popularity much more since it has two famous Chinese actors on board.

Future SW movies will be huge in China. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, vc2002 said:

JW is still the target tho.

Never was my target, never understood why anyone would aim for that (or other blockbusters), or is that meant as goal before the release?

To me SW 7 in China is meant as a seed for the future, I think Disney aims not for the max. a single movie can achieve, but aims for what it achievable in the long run, including Disney World, merchandise,... and all the next movies.

Or do you mean you hope for JW's final number based on OD? Seems a 'bit' high, or?

Not unfriendly meant (I have no idea how I sound in English), just in case I sound wrong to my intentions again.

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Never was my target, never understood why anyone would aim for that (or other blockbusters), or is that meant as goal before the release?

To me SW 7 in China is meant as a seed for the future, I think Disney aims not for the max. a single movie can achieve, but aims for what it achievable in the long run, including Disney World, merchandise,... and all the next movies.

Or do you mean you hope for JW's final number based on OD? Seems a 'bit' high, or?

Not unfriendly meant (I have no idea how I sound in English), just in case I sound wrong to my intentions again.

SW7 is in the same situation as JW. Both franchise were distantly familiar to the Chinese audience.

6 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

SW7 is in the same situation as JW. Both franchise were distantly familiar to the Chinese audience.

Ah, that is, what you meant, thank you.

I think the stories' basics are too different (on earth, hypothetically vs another ... galaxy or... alien, no earth... you know what I mean I guess?), not fully / 100% the same audience (but probably a high intersection?)