A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

True but still, so far no sign of another MH, JBM & TMK trio at all. I wont bet on LORD, Feng Shen and The Lost Tomb to save the summer. All three films are fanboy-driven, and terrible in quality guaranteed. I say they have one thing in common: big opening, dropping like a rock afterward. dont see any reach 1B.

Last summer was 12.5B, a number unlikely to be matched, unless ...(If SARFT wants to save the summer, they need to allow major HLW releases into the summer, at least 'give' August to HLW; but in that case, September will become shallow ...)

Cold War 2, etc should be good but action thrillers have limited potential.

Maybe 2016 would be lucky to reach 55B with a weak slate. But 2017 could jump to 90B, with so many Chinese audience friendly blockbusters. So dont panic (concluding hey the China market is slowing down) if 2016 turns out to have a modest increase over 2015. The yearly box office very much depends on the content of the year.

Any Hollywood moives coming out in the summer or is it protection month? 

Anyway, looking back at April, is Jungle Book confirmed? None of the major websites has a actual date listed for it yet....

Edited by TigerPaw

23 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Monday 21:30

Mermaid:83.18M(-31.9%)

CHTD2:23.46M(-31,6%)

TMK2:23.28M(-24.7%)

Macau 3:17.11M(-18,5%)

KFP3:8.99M(-40%)

Naruto:7.19M(-45.6%)

Tuesday 21:30

Mermaid:53.85M(-35.3%)

TMK2:16.08M(-33%)

CTHD2:14.89M(-36.6%)

Macau 3:11.75M(-21.3%)

KFP3:.5.59M(-37.8%)

Naruto:5.46M(-24.1%)

• Like 1

Stephen Chow's 'The Mermaid' Makes Big U.S. Splash Despite Puzzling Lack Of Marketing

Movie marketing can be a thankless job. When a movie released by a major U.S. studio tanks at the box office, it’s the marketing executives who usually take the blame. But when a movie hits, others rush to claim credit, and the marketers are lucky to get much recognition.

Every once in a while though, the marketers can’t even pretend that they deserve credit for a movie’s success.

Such is the case with Sony Pictures’ North American release of the Chinese hit The Mermaid. Sony’s marketing execs must be scratching their heads over the film, which this past weekend scored North America’s biggest opening for a Chinese-made movie in a decade, despite a conspicuous lack of promotion. With just over $1 million in box office on 35 screens, it enjoyed the biggest opening weekend for a Chinese movie since Jet Li’s Fearless scored a $10.6 million debut on 1,806 screens back in 2006.

If you haven’t heard of The Mermaid, or if you weren’t aware that it was releasing in North American theaters this past weekend, you’re not alone. Apparently almost no one at Sony Pictures knew either. As Simon Abrams wrote in his rave review of the film on RogerEbert.com:

"Three of the four Sony representatives I spoke with didn’t even know that the company was releasing “The Mermaid.” The fourth rep told me that his company hadn’t thought to set up advanced screenings for U.S. press, or even send out an email alerting them to the film’s impending release. I was told that… Sony didn’t expect it to interest many people, outside of Chinese or Chinese-American film fans."

It’s bizarre and rather sad that Sony Pictures didn’t give The Mermaid much thought.  The studio and its subsidiary Sony Pictures Classics used to be proud champions of Chinese films, with credit for having released 3 of the top 5 highest grossing Chinese movies in North American box office history, including Stephen Chow’s last big domestic hit Kung Fu Hustle. That film kicked and punched its way to $17.1 million in ticket revenue in U.S. and Canadian theaters, a significant chunk of its $100 million worldwide gross back in 2005. - Forbes

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Stephen Chow's 'The Mermaid' Makes Big U.S. Splash Despite Puzzling Lack Of Marketing

Not saying you are wrong or anything, just that other chinese hits like Grandmaster all had like less than 10 screens in their opening and expanded afterwards...Hence their opening weekend may not be as high but their overall box office may be higher, Haha.

How badly will piracy hurt Ip Man 3 in China? Can its box office withstand the effects of piracy there especially since it will have been out for more than 2 months around the world?
 And what about the non-nationalistic themes of the film? Do you think Chinese audiences will reject the film because it doesn't play up the nationalistic pride that the first 2 films had? I am slightly concerned that it won't do as well because of this and it will turn in a 'generic action movie' performance with the piracy and no nationalist pride theme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluebomb said:

How badly will piracy hurt Ip Man 3 in China? Can its box office withstand the effects of piracy there especially since it will have been out for more than 2 months around the world?
 And what about the non-nationalistic themes of the film? Do you think Chinese audiences will reject the film because it doesn't play up the nationalistic pride that the first 2 films had? I am slightly concerned that it won't do as well because of this and it will turn in a 'generic action movie' performance with the piracy and no nationalist pride theme.

I searched on some big forums, can't find any copies even low quality.

I don't think piracy will affect it as badly as we thought.

There hasn't been a good action movie in a long time, I think people won't mind it been non-nationalistic.What I'm worrying is the poor marketing for it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

I searched on some big forums, can't find any copies even low quality.

I don't think piracy will affect it as badly as we thought.

There hasn't been a good action movie in a long time, I think people won't mind it been non-nationalistic.What I'm worrying is the poor marketing for it.

I actually saw people sharing on Baidu Cloud and even on Weibo there are many people who said they watched it online, there's a huge piracy site in China...which I don't think is appropriate to share here... with Ip Man 3 full movie still being the top of the list for most popular and most watched, over 400k views on that website. I don't know how much impact but definitely there will be some.  Even on the Ip Man 3 tieba....people are sharing non-stop.

Agree with you on the point of marketing, new inexperienced distributing company distributing Ip Man 3 and not many people even knows the movie exist. Even early movie presales showtimes for March 4th currently has Zootopia leading the number of showtimes and screens according to Maoyan, but this is very early pre-sales, things will change by next week....
Following week on 11th, Gods of Egypt confirmed release, and Hugh Jackman will be down to promote Eddie the Eagle for 18th March release... competition is quite tough for a traditionally weak month.

All these factors doesn't bold well for Ip Man 3, I think that 600M Yuan will be considered a success, 800M Yuan is the ceiling... I hope I am wrong though.

Edited by TigerPaw

9 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Not saying you are wrong or anything, just that other chinese hits like Grandmaster all had like less than 10 screens in their opening and expanded afterwards...Hence their opening weekend may not be as high but their overall box office may be higher, Haha.

I don't really see how that takes away from Mermaid doing extremely well given the lack of screens and marketing. If Mermaid was given an actual chance by Sony, as in secured more screens for the movie like what happened with The Grandmaster, it would probably gross more overall.