A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

23 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

AM2 has already exceeded SMH and now has the biggest OD for a solo superhero movie. 

Its has slowed down a bit so looks to hit around maybe 155-160 mill. A couple of hours ago i was thinking 165-170

Edited by fmpro
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, UserHN said:

Oh wow. That's good. Hope it crosses 9.0. I think IW was 8.6?

IW was a bit review bombed early, but ended up at 8.9 as well.        

Over 155 would have been cool, but 150-155 is still great. With 1009m it would be closer to Civil War than to any of the non team-up movies, though I’m still a little concerned about upcoming competition.

I think most of the themes in Ant-Man 2 resonate well with Chinese audiences. The ex-convict looking once again for salvation (along with protecting his daughter), the elderly husband who wants to save his wife, and a bitter villain fighting mostly for survival. I've seen most of those tropes in various Chinese movies, especially the bitter villain one.

Not surprised over the good reception!

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Thanks 1

As I expected the internal multi is closer to the frontloaded BP and SMH than Thor 3

PS to OD multi of recent SH movies

Thor 3 - 4.38x

Justice League - 3.875x

Spiderman - 3.74x

Guardians 2 - 3.46x

Ant Man 2 - 3.3x

Black Panther - 2.89x

PS for tomorrow is down about 23% right now compared to BP whose Sat PS was up by about 10%. BP eventually went on to increase 31% on Saturday. AM2 will probably manage something like 15-20%

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Firepower said:

So how is The Meg doing on Friday? What's the final prediction?

Looks like 11-12M for Meg on Fri, -60% from Thursday and minus -85% from last Friday, getting hit hard by AM2.     

Not sure how much it will rebound Saturday, but maybe a weekend around 30-40? That would be $4M-6M or so USD. And with MI6 coming up, the run seems to really be winding down.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Looks like 11-12M for Meg on Fri, -60% from Thursday and minus -85% from last Friday, getting hit hard by AM2.     

Not sure how much it will rebound Saturday, but maybe a weekend around 30-40? That would be $4M-6M or so USD. And with MI6 coming up, the run seems to really be winding down.

Will it cross 150$ mln when all said and done?

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Will it cross 150$ mln when all said and done?

I think it’s a bit above 930m yuan now (now meaning before I the Fri number is added), and $150m would take about 1020m. I’m expecting 990m+ before MI shows up, maybe past 1B, so I think it should still be able to pass $150m but it could be really close. I’ll let a more experienced CBO analyst correct any of this if need be. 

Edited by Thanos Legion

Friday Estimates

Ant-man 2 153M/163.3M, 4th biggest SH OD behind IW, AOU and CW

Big Brother 34.5M including previews

The Island  11.65M/1248.3m, -52%

The Meg 11.3M/945.6m, -58%
Go Brother! 10.6M/228.6M, -48%

Hotel Transylvania 3 3.2M/161.6m, -65%
Hello Mr. Billionaire 2.66M/2493M ,-67%

Huge drops for holdovers.

Maoyan predicts 200M Sat for AM2, I think 180M more likely

• Like 10
  • Astonished 1

Final Saturday PS is about 37.9m which is down about 18.7% from Friday's final PS. For comparison BP had a final Saturday PS of about 50m (up about 10% from Friday's PS). But thanks to AM2's higher rating and summer, Ant Man will have a better multi although it wont jump as much as BP did today (31%).

200m will be about 30.7% jump

180m will be about 1.6% jump. I'll go with the second option which will take Ant Man to an opening in the vicinity of 70-71m usd.