A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Amazing for the Little Prince. It will surpass IO by next week. Now that's a huge surprise.

It will become the 3rd or 4th highest grossing Hollywood animation for 2015 behind BH6 and Minions and/or Home. Wow.

Its a French production I thought

Hopefully 90-95M today for Ant-man.

its looking like it, above 92m will be a better than average hold. today and tomorrows hold will indicate where the run lands

GML running at 50m down 12%. will be down more than 50% w/o/w

TLP may hold better than -10%, 26-28m, and it should for that demo. flat or a bump would indicate good WOM. Will have IO beat by the end of the week and could double its run. Vive la france!

• Like 2

Apocalypse is also Marvel. Most audience think they are the same thing.

You may be right but Superman & Batman are known WW I thought that gives them advantage over Apocalypse and adding SM, IM and whole host of SH in CA3 would also give it advantage over Apocalypse.

Its a French production I thought

its looking like it, above 92m will be a better than average hold. today and tomorrows hold will indicate where the run lands

GML running at 50m down 12%. will be down more than 50% w/o/w

TLP may hold better than -10%, 26-28m, and it should for that demo. flat or a bump would indicate good WOM. Will have IO beat by the end of the week and could double its run. Vive la france!

What kind of drop does it need on Monday for strong legs? Can you give projection of what you think will happen for rest of the week?

I think BvS has the best slot. That will play to its advantage. But if it sucks like MOS then its all moot. I doubt CW will have as good a reception as WS either. Too many cooks here. XM has the finale effect that plays to its advantage. If SInger makes it as good as DOFP then it can come close to WS or BvS

What kind of drop does it need on Monday for strong legs? Can you give projection of what you think will happen for rest of the week?

-60% is the norm for sunday to work monday. If it were to hold -55% or better it usually indicates a better run.

FF7 held very well it after its sunday OD (-46%) and as you know went on to run to $390m. That hold told me 400m was possible.

AOU well hard day 2(-42%) and 3(-26%) after its Tuesday OD, had good weekend but faded hard. and below expectations. Those drops had me thinking low to mid $200s 

JW held really well on day 2(-28% from Wed OD) and nearly passed AOU w half the size of AOU's OD. That hold portended its legs.

I didn't think MI5 had a chance at 1B after seeing day 2.

Most of these type of hyped movies fall under this formula, WOM runners(rare) obviously will go way out of bounds

10.25 x 1st weekday + OD or OW +/- 75% of 1st WD

It works whether its an opening weekend or single day like sunday or Tuesday, summer or not. Family movies like minion's do 12-13 x 1stWD +OD. JW did 15x, it was both a family movie and a wom runner.

OD or OW 1st Weekday 1st WD Multi Total (1stWDxM) +OD/OW        
FF7 OD 398 185 10.95 2423        
TF4 OW 631 123 10.71 1948        
LIHK OW 681 91 10.37 1625        
AOU OD 212 123 10.02 1444        
MI5 OD 108 78 9.77 870        
T5 OD 167 68 8.21 725        
T5* OD 167 68 9.68 825        
AM OW 275 37 10.00 645 ?      
AM OW 275 46 10.54 760 ?      
AM OW 275 50 10.90 820 ?      

*T5 mite have been taken for 100m

3 scenarios above if AM does 92m today and holds -60%, 50% or 45%

Edited by M F Lawrence
  • Like 3

To me if Antman finishes in the top 3 highest CBM after Ultron and IM3, that will make it the 3rd MCU movie since 2013 to reach and close the entirely MCU heavy top 3 highest CBM in China.    

That's one hell of a presence upon which to build up the hype around several characters who are about to crossover in Civil War .  

When 3 characters from CIVIL WAR will have appeared in 4 movies out of the 5 highest CBM grosses in China,  that's a plebiscite sealing the increasing popularity of Marvel characters, mainly the MCU ones.

Civil War will basicly be a sequel to CATWS but also a follow up of the adventures of  three characters having each a movie in the top 5 most popular CBM, very recently.

That's an advantage that both BvS and Apocalypse don't have.

Basicly Marvel has built its characters popularity through years of presence on the big screen and created a growing fanbase around those characters played by the same actors they learned to love.  They are already emotionally invested in them.

BvS have icons but iconic status doesn't necessarily translate into instant supremacy in the BO.  Ask Wolverine !

BvS higher BO expectations will basicly entirely be dependant of the movie quality first and foremost because there is no buildup from previous well received movies featuring the same characters played by the same actors.  

BvS  BO expectations is entirely based on the premise that the iconic status and fame of the characters will be automatically translated into instant supremacy, making them suddenly more popular and more lethal in the BO department than CB characters who have acceeded to that throne through years of movie contributions.  

They didn't become popular from a status or a fame predating their movies.  They built their own popularity, step by step around movies, year in, year out.

It's really a matter of if iconic status and historic reputation is as strong or stronger an incentive than current popularity built on recent contributions in highly popular movies.

To me at least, it's clear that all things remaining equal (movie quality,window slot for its release) Civil War has more incentive, more hype, more buildup, more goodwill from three different characters and several previous popular movies than BvS or Apocalypse.

The main variable that may hinder its reception after a potential great opening weekend is if the movie is bad or even lackluster or if the slot isn't as great to enable it to breath and maximise its profits.

• Like 2

OD or OW 1st Weekday 1st WD Multi Total (1stWDxM) +OD/OW        
FF7 OD 398 185 10.95 2423        
TF4 OW 631 123 10.71 1948        
LIHK OW 681 91 10.37 1625        
AOU OD 212 123 10.02 1444        
MI5 OD 108 78 9.77 870        
T5 OD 167 68 8.21 725        
T5 OD+100m 167 68 9.68 825 Possibly100m stolen    
AM OW 270 35 10.30 630        

Its pacing for 35m today. Down nearly 60%, typical hold as was yesterday. It wont lose shows as fast as MI5, the multiplier should fall in the middle of the range at 10.3. It will land very close to $100m

If it was going to be a WOM runner it would have held better. Expect 12-15% drops per day this week and sat/sun w/o/w drop to be near 60%

• Like 1

Olive, I thought you said it had good WOM? So far holds have been mediocre and it might struggle to hit 100M.

WOM is good, on par with GOTG.

But with Marvel becoming a bigger brand in China, MCU movies will be more front-loaded than before.

Edited by The GOOD Olive
  • Like 1