A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

16 hours ago, Polaroids said:

The Lost Tomb might be fan-driven but it's still a well-known book series (like Harry Potter in the West) and the director is not bad, he's directed some pretty good wuxia films in the past. I think the quality will be okay. It might do well. Jing Boran rose in popularity because of Monster Hunt and Luhan is still a popular teen idol. There's also the chance of some surprise breakout from a low-budget youth film. And then later on in the year there's Railroad Tigers.

Early words are that The Lost Tomb is as bad as Tiny Times or Forever Young... 

Rail Road Tigers will be a hit both commercially and critically but it's set for October holiday.

Edited by firedeep

15 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Any Hollywood moives coming out in the summer or is it protection month? 

Anyway, looking back at April, is Jungle Book confirmed? None of the major websites has a actual date listed for it yet....

Still unclear how the summer will be arranged. Judging by the last few years, it should be two-month long 'protection' period.

Jungle Book should be April 15th.

5 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I actually saw people sharing on Baidu Cloud and even on Weibo there are many people who said they watched it online, there's a huge piracy site in China...which I don't think is appropriate to share here... with Ip Man 3 full movie still being the top of the list for most popular and most watched, over 400k views on that website. I don't know how much impact but definitely there will be some.  Even on the Ip Man 3 tieba....people are sharing non-stop.

Agree with you on the point of marketing, new inexperienced distributing company distributing Ip Man 3 and not many people even knows the movie exist. Even early movie presales showtimes for March 4th currently has Zootopia leading the number of showtimes and screens according to Maoyan, but this is very early pre-sales, things will change by next week....
Following week on 11th, Gods of Egypt confirmed release, and Hugh Jackman will be down to promote Eddie the Eagle for 18th March release... competition is quite tough for a traditionally weak month.

All these factors doesn't bold well for Ip Man 3, I think that 600M Yuan will be considered a success, 800M Yuan is the ceiling... I hope I am wrong though.

Pretty much agreed except that Da Yinmu is not really a 'new inexperienced distributing company'. Shi Jianxiang renamed it as Da Yinmu after he bought Lan-team last year.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Still unclear how the summer will be arranged. Judging by the last few years, it should be two-month long 'protection' period.

Jungle Book should be April 15th.

That would be great for Jungle Book. What about CA3?

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

Rail Road Tigers will be a hit both commercially and critically but it's set for October holiday.

Just bc of the web drama is so disappointed, it doesn't mean the movie version is the same.  I know Some fans are so disappointed that Wu Xie was play by inexperienced actor xxx & Zhang Kylin wasn't play by Yang Yang. I guess the writer, Xu Lei, should know why the drama version is so disappointed. This is bc he didn't follow the novel. Anyway, I found it's a good new that The Lost Tomb was directed by Daniel Lee (14 Blades).

4 hours ago, firedeep said:

I don't see how people would know? They just wrapped filming a few months ago and revealed the poster last month. I think it's just the usual doubting because both the leads are "fresh meats" but the director doesn't have the reputation of Guo Jingming and in fact has made some decent films that did well in the past so I have optimistic hopes. Jing Boran is a pretty okay actor. Luhan is bad but I think the director will be able to save the quality. In fact, I think because of how the web drama was so negatively received, this will be received well in comparison because anything is better than the drama.

55 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

I don't see how people would know? They just wrapped filming a few months ago and revealed the poster last month. I think it's just the usual doubting because both the leads are "fresh meats" but the director doesn't have the reputation of Guo Jingming and in fact has made some decent films that did well in the past so I have optimistic hopes. Jing Boran is a pretty okay actor. Luhan is bad but I think the director will be able to save the quality. In fact, I think because of how the web drama was so negatively received, this will be received well in comparison because anything is better than the drama.

A distributor how saw an early cut of The Lost Tomb described it as another Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe. According to him, quality wise, LORD (on par with TMK2 at the most) > TLT > Feng Shen, which is an ultimate disaster (dont you think so based on that awful trailer ?)

I am surprised Daniel Lee is considered a 'decent' director here. His films: http://movie.douban.com/celebrity/1275585/movies?start=0&format=pic&sortby=time&role=D

Aslo, Three Body Problem wont be ready for the Summer. don't quota me on this but TBP is such a big, total mess that it almost breaks the producing company into pieces...

Edited by firedeep

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

A distributor how saw an early cut of The Lost Tomb described it as another Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe. According to him, quality wise, LORD (on par with TMK2 at the most) > TLT > Feng Shen, which is an ultimate disaster (dont you think so based on that awful trailer ?)

I am surprised Daniel Lee is considered a 'decent' director here. His films: http://movie.douban.com/celebrity/1275585/movies?start=0&format=pic&sortby=time&role=D

Aslo, Three Body Problem wont be ready for the Summer. don't quota me on this but TBP is such a big, total mess that it almost breaks the producing company into pieces...

By decent I don't even mean great. Just that the quality of his films is better than Guo Jingming's. So I'm pretty surprised that the distributor you know ranked his film higher than The Lost Tomb. Can't imagine someone making a worse movie than the director of Tiny Times.

Not surprised about Three Body Problem. It's a very ambitious project and the company producing it is new.

23 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Maoyan 18:30

Mermaid:39.58M

TMK2:11.53M

CTHD2:10.17M

Macau 3:7.74M

KFP3:5.03M

Naruto:4.59M

Big drops.

Wednesday 18:30

Mermaid:33.52M(-15.3%)

TMK2:9.75M(--15.5%)

CTHD2:8.63M(-15.2%)

Macau 3:7.05M(-7.6%)

KFP3:3.98M(-20.9%)

Naruto:3.86M(-15.9%)

23 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Tuesday 21:30

Mermaid:53.85M(-35.3%)

TMK2:16.08M(-33%)

CTHD2:14.89M(-36.6%)

Macau 3:11.75M(-21.3%)

KFP3:.5.59M(-37.8%)

Naruto:5.46M(-24.1%)

Wednesday 21:30

Mermaid:46.75M(-13.2%)

TMK2:13.93M(-13.4%)

CTHD2:12.71M(-14.4%)

Macau 3:10.77M(-8.4%)

Naruto:4.65M(-14.9%)

KFP3:4.56M(-18.5%)

So Tomorrow The Mermaid will pass 450M$ (Entgroup has 447,04M$ by today) entering in the top ten of the single-country biggest grosses ever. Obviously the first nine spots are all North-American.

1    Star Wars: TFA                  $922,010,468   
2    Avatar                               $760,507,625    
3    Titanic                               $658,672,302    
5    Marvel's The Avengers        $623,357,910   
6    The Dark Knight                 $534,858,444   
7    Star Wars: Episode I           $474,544,677    
8    Star Wars                          $460,998,007  
9    Avengers: Age of Ultron      $459,005,868

10  The Dark Knight Rises         $448,139,099

• Like 3

2 hours ago, edroger3 said:

So Tomorrow The Mermaid will pass 450M$ (Entgroup has 447,04M$ by today) entering in the top ten of the single-country biggest grosses ever. Obviously the first nine spots are all North-American.

1    Star Wars: TFA                  $922,010,468   
2    Avatar                               $760,507,625    
3    Titanic                               $658,672,302    
5    Marvel's The Avengers        $623,357,910   
6    The Dark Knight                 $534,858,444   
7    Star Wars: Episode I           $474,544,677    
8    Star Wars                          $460,998,007  
9    Avengers: Age of Ultron      $459,005,868

10  The Dark Knight Rises         $448,139,099

Amazing run! I wonder what Chow's Journey To The West would've accumulated if it swapped released dates his The Mermaid? It did $200 in 2013, correct?

7 hours ago, Olive said:

Wednesday est

Mermaid:45M/2918M

TMK2:13.5M/1085M

CTHD2:12M/187M

Macau 3:10.5M/1043M

Naruto:4.5M/78.2M

KFP3:4.05M/944M

Any chance of 1B for KFP3? 

Did it get extended?

• Like 1

On 2/20/2016 at 4:45 AM, firedeep said:

All signs indicate BVS has troubled quality TBH... a guy who attended BVS screening at SARFT said the movie is not very good. The regulators were happy to give it a great day and date release (with holiday the following week) because they thought it doesnot have the ability to threaten the local releases for Qing Ming holiday.

Is that common to give great release dates to foreign films they think aren't good and/or won't break out to take advantage of them?  Though I guess it makes sense since the opposite is true.