TMK2:22.28M

LoS:13.4M

CTHD2:12.98M

Macau 3:12.79M

KFP3:10.36M

Left Behind:8.03M

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Who is Donnie Yen ? a super kung fu star, one of the biggest Chinese movie actors ever, one who has already achived his position in the history of Chinese film (华语片). He is in the neigbourhood of such screen legends as Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Chow Yun-fat.

Who is Kris Wu ? a teen idol who just broke out three years ago but is ascending to be one of the most promising Chinese A-list movie actors of the next generation.

Kris Wu is almost 30 years younger than Donnie Yen ... in a few years in the future, maybe Wu will be as big a movie star as Yen has been, but at the moment Yen definitely is the bigger figure and a bigger draw in big movies: if you aee doing a rom-com, a bestseller adaptation (Sweet Sixteen) or a local tentpole with the best behind-the-scene team (JTTW2), you cast Kris Wu; if you are doing an original action thriller, a Fast Furious, a Mission Impossible, a Star Wars, you cast Donnie Yen.

Good news for Kris Wus, they have just caught up with the best time—a real, and enormous, Chinese film industry is about to come, such a bright future ahead. While old guys like Yen and Li will finally, and inevitably step down.

Exactly how i feel. You echo my thoughts completely! :) Kris's potential is limitless(just like many pop teen idols) good time in their career because China market is exploding!  In a few years after Kris prove himself he might become a bigger draw(hopefully) or become Eddie Peng who is killing the industry. Lol.

You want big blockbusters, big co productions you get people like Jet Li and Donnie Yen, they are recognized worldwide and their accomplishment and career achievements are unparalled.

Disney, Weinstein Co, Paramount did their market research, tons of data from worldwide gross and will take Yen and Li in their big budget films like Star Wars. Kris Wu will no doubt be a big draw in the future, hardworking guy with talent but he still has to prove himself. His next film comes out against Beijing meets Seattle 2, that will be a test of his BO draw.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, firedeep said:

Who is Donnie Yen ? a super kung fu star, one of the biggest Chinese movie actors ever, one who has already achived his position in the history of Chinese film (华语片). He is in the neigbourhood of such screen legends as Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Chow Yun-fat.

Who is Kris Wu ? a teen idol who just broke out three years ago but is ascending to be one of the most promising Chinese A-list movie actors of the next generation.

Kris Wu is almost 30 years younger than Donnie Yen ... in a few years in the future, maybe Wu will be as big a movie star as Yen has been, but at the moment Yen definitely is the bigger figure and a bigger draw in big movies: if you aee doing a rom-com, a bestseller adaptation (Sweet Sixteen) or a local tentpole with the best behind-the-scene team (JTTW2), you cast Kris Wu; if you are doing an original action thriller, a Fast Furious, a Mission Impossible, a Star Wars, you cast Donnie Yen.

Good news for Kris Wus, they have just caught up with the best time—a real, and enormous, Chinese film industry is about to come, such a bright future ahead. While old guys like Yen and Li will finally, and inevitably step down.

4 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Exactly how i feel. You echo my thoughts completely! :) Kris's potential is limitless(just like many pop teen idols) good time in their career because China market is exploding!  In a few years after Kris prove himself he might become a bigger draw(hopefully) or become Eddie Peng who is killing the industry. Lol.

You want big blockbusters, big co productions you get people like Jet Li and Donnie Yen, they are recognized worldwide and their accomplishment and career achievements are unparalled.

Disney, Weinstein Co, Paramount did their market research, tons of data from worldwide gross and will take Yen and Li in their big budget films like Star Wars. Kris Wu will no doubt be a big draw in the future, hardworking guy with talent but he still has to prove himself. His next film comes out against Beijing meets Seattle 2, that will be a test of his BO draw.

Great points from both of you and I agree - but we can't really downplay Kris Wu's influence on social media and the youth. Right now you can see him and Nina Dobrev trending no. 1 on Weibo because she posted a picture with him on the set of XXX3. That's promotion for the movie. Every move, every picture from the set will get shared all over Chinese web because he's in it. I argued here before that internet hype doesn't necessarily translate to box office results and that is still true, so we will see if this will help the movie in the long run. But yes, Donnie is of course the bigger star. That was never in dispute. I mostly mentioned Kris Wu as a huge draw because of his appeal on the youth and people in their 20s - which has a big impact on current Chinese B.O.

As for his movie going against the Tang Wei romcom, that's a bit hard to use as a gauge I think? Finding Mr. Right is distributed by experienced distributors meanwhile Sweet Sixteen (I assume that's 夏有乔木,雅望天堂?) is handled by Ru Yi Films, and while they've had good results in the past (So Young), they're still a relatively new company. Plus it's a lighthearted romantic family comedy and a sequel to a highly successful movie, it's more appealing to the masses. I don't know what Sweet Sixteen is about exactly but judging from this trailer I clicked it's anything but lighthearted.

By the way, TigerPaw, when you said Eddie Peng was killing he industry, you meant it in a "he's horrible" way, right? I can't imagine you would mean the opposite, honestly.

Edited by Polaroids
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

By the way, TigerPaw, when you said Eddie Peng was killing he industry, you meant it in a "he's horrible" way, right? I can't imagine you would mean the opposite, honestly.

Yup. Haha. "Killing" literally. His acting is just awful, his portrayal of Wong Fei Hong in Rise of the Legend was so terrible that i would rather rewatch the original 3 by Jet Li 10times.... 

His recent movie with Zhang Ziyi. Ben Ai.. gosh. Another terrible film. 

17 hours ago, firedeep said:

Fanfan is "Director Hunter". It's unbelievable that he was cast in HLW despite his few acting experiences. It's very rare for Asian actors to join HLW project even they're big name stars in Asia. Not to mention Fanfan. I won't say he got a big role but at least he's in. Anyway, he's doing best among his peers. After just came back home, he's able to become the male lead despite inexperience acting. Xu Jinglei, Guan Hu, Stephen Chow, Tsui Hark,..., all such the big name directors. 

It's so unfair to him to compare to Donnie Yen. Fanfan is just a kid while Donnie Yen is the legendary martial art star. 

• Like 1

Never thought Kris Wu will be next A list star.His acting is so terrible and dull.I heard about Mr.Six director delete half of his scenes  in final cut.Because Kris Wu performance is too bad.If Eddie peng acting is bad,Kris Wu is hundreds times worse than Eddie.

Kris Wu is Justin Bieber in China,He is even not a Chinese,He is a Canadian (haha same as Bieber)

I don't remember any Kris leading roles in the film except some terrible chick flicks.Mermaid,Mr.Six,Tiny times,not His film.

I agree it's good time for young generation.However,Competition is everywhere.Many younger idols come out every year.If young boys don't improve himself,fans will run to other young idols.

Edited by bangbingchan

14 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Yup. Haha. "Killing" literally. His acting is just awful, his portrayal of Wong Fei Hong in Rise of the Legend was so terrible that i would rather rewatch the original 3 by Jet Li 10times.... 

His recent movie with Zhang Ziyi. Ben Ai.. gosh. Another terrible film. 

Eddie Peng next film Mei Gong He Xing Dong  might be a good one.

Zoopotia is the first ever day and date release in China from Disney Animation. I expect an OD in the high teens (close to 20m), an OW around 100m, and a multiplier of at least 4X (maybe even 5x+). It should stay flat in secon weekend.

Anything over 20m+ OD bodes well for a breakout run.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Zoopotia is the first ever day and date release in China from Disney Animation. I expect an OD in the high teens (close to 20m), an OW around 100m, and a multiplier of at least 4X (maybe even 5x+). It should stay flat in secon weekend.

Anything over 20m+ OD bodes well for a breakout run.

500M?I doubt it.

23 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Saturday 18:30

Mermaid:54.41M(+73.9%)

TMK2:16.03M(+82.1%)

LoS:11.37M(+17.6%)

KFP3:9.41M(+173.5%)

CHTD2:8.99M(+42.5%)

Macau 3:8.64M(+59.7%)

Left Behind:5.79M(+17.9%)

Sunday 18:30

Mermaid:47.86M(-12.1%)